Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pushing Arrangements

Postby Sevenless » Fri May 19, 2017 5:24 pm

iamahh wrote:it's easier now to have a compact garden pot field, 1 per tile, walking diagonally between pots

I prefer more space so I can dirt them with wheelbarrow and water with barrel.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Lord_of_War » Sat May 20, 2017 8:44 am

jorb wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:I guess i'm stuck at 2 FPS for another week. :cry:

The client rewrites are a bigger project. I expect it to take a few months.

Rewriting to a different graphics standard? Especially with consideration to multi platform vulkan on the horizon.
One death is a tragedy; one million is a statistic. -- Joseph Stalin #1 Forum troll You mad bro?
"My soul is terrifying" "Some men just want to watch the world burn"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5f2M9t_tEhQ
Lord_of_War

Postby Granger » Sat May 20, 2017 9:47 am

Lord_of_War wrote:multi platform vulkan on the horizon.

Problems with horizons is that the tend to change shape when coming closer.

But yea, it looks promising so far.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby NOOBY93 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 am

linkfanpc wrote:
jorb wrote:
linkfanpc wrote:I guess i'm stuck at 2 FPS for another week. :cry:

The client rewrites are a bigger project. I expect it to take a few months.

You just love to crush my dreams more and more, don't you?

Crush? This is good, dude.

I prefer a CLIENT REWRITE that takes months, over something that takes a week and looks like "so... yeah. We changed 1 line of code and a small number of people SHOULD be getting 1 or 2 more FPS. Don't bother me about optimization again. Enjoy!"
Jalpha wrote:I believe in my interpretation of things.
NOOBY93

Postby Sevenless » Sat May 20, 2017 1:35 pm

As much as I'm loathe to agree, because custom clients exist and new stuff is fun, Nooby is 100% right.

If we want this game to be a commercial success, and therefor keeps getting dev time, I feel that making the base client acceptable is going to be required. At some point, Haven will benefit greatly from piggybacking onto an existing publishing format. The low capital marketing offer that steam gives for example is great to a small indie team with no bankroll to do a big marketing push. I don't see how that'd be any worse than say taking out a loan for marketing dollars (the interest would be just as bad as steam's cut, and the market penetration is riskier).

But you can't do that with a client that's lacking all the finesse and polish that our custom client devs have spent years adding. And that's performance issues aside even, which are also crucial. Custom clients can't be integrated through steam (or any other potential platform) without a client re-write no matter how you look at it.

Ideally I'd want to see it launched to some platform (I still back steam because there's a fairly acceptable base of survival mmos there, and Haven blows almost all of them out of the water) with the start of a new world after the extensive client rework is finished.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby NOOBY93 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:39 pm

Sevenless wrote:As much as I'm loathe to agree, because custom clients exist and new stuff is fun, Nooby is 100% right.

If we want this game to be a commercial success, and therefor keeps getting dev time, I feel that making the base client acceptable is going to be required. At some point, Haven will benefit greatly from piggybacking onto an existing publishing format. The low capital marketing offer that steam gives for example is great to a small indie team with no bankroll to do a big marketing push. I don't see how that'd be any worse than say taking out a loan for marketing dollars (the interest would be just as bad as steam's cut, and the market penetration is riskier).

But you can't do that with a client that's lacking all the finesse and polish that our custom client devs have spent years adding. And that's performance issues aside even, which are also crucial. Custom clients can't be integrated through steam (or any other potential platform) without a client re-write no matter how you look at it.

Ideally I'd want to see it launched to some platform (I still back steam because there's a fairly acceptable base of survival mmos there, and Haven blows almost all of them out of the water) with the start of a new world after the extensive client rework is finished.

I was advocating the rewrite for mainly performance issues, but yeah I'm all for default client getting all the QoL features custom clients have.
NOOBY93

Postby Sevenless » Sat May 20, 2017 1:42 pm

Ah, well that's sorely needed as well. My friend who played this game gets a 10fps framerate whenever he's in my town near moving animals. My framerate drops from 60 down to 30-40 whenever I'm near it. I don't like massive spread out villages so it's a busy location. But it's the kind of thing a lot of players will create in their early days.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Resture » Sun May 21, 2017 4:59 am

If it was on steam... I would actually play more haven. I tried all the haven knock offs just because they are on steam... and they all suck.

Bring haven to Steam!
Resture

Postby Granger » Sun May 21, 2017 7:51 am

Resture wrote:If it was on steam... I would actually play more haven.

Please share your reasoning behind this statement.
⁎ Mon Mar 22, 2010 ✝ Thu Jan 23, 2020
Granger

Postby NOOBY93 » Sun May 21, 2017 10:56 am

Granger wrote:
Resture wrote:If it was on steam... I would actually play more haven.

Please share your reasoning behind this statement.

Someone HAS to give poor old Gaben some money, he's STARVING!
NOOBY93

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements