Game Development: An Arrow to the Knee

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: An Arrow to the Knee

Postby jorb » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm

Griveous, i.e., wound causing, damage, lowers your Health Bar by causing wounds which have to be healed. Weapons can deal some of their damage as Griveous damage. Griveous Damage can eventually kill you.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:47 pm

ubersheva wrote:what's grievous damage and how it was in world 10?

Grievous damage is damage to HHP. In World 10, Battle-axes did 60% grievous damage. In World 11, they were changed to do 30% (effectively meaning they couldn't kill a character who started out with full health). This change makes it so that you can use Murderous Rage to get to 45% grievous damage with battle-axes, and 60% with fyrd swords (and somewhere in between for other weapons), but less than lethal amounts without Murderous Rage.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby HorridStonefish » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:48 pm

Woot, animals are dangerous again :lol: and archery might be useful.

Making the aggressor having to make the decision to cancel protection rather than the defender to activate it is a great idea.

Thanks for the update.
HorridStonefish

Postby ctopolon4 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:52 pm

i lose my spear ... nice update
also here was ability to move while aiming
ctopolon4

Postby Fostik » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:56 pm

Death mechanics means a lot for game mechanics. Since knock protection was implemented - game became harder in character developing, because devs are always lean on character immortality, so all new features or new world mechanics requires more effort from players, like mining hardness, ore depth, and so on, which makes game harder. It is also means that you need to do more job for you character development, and look at this shit - to dig better you need kill a vast amount of bears (just an example) while they can kill you on hunt. A thing that will give you +5 stats which means nothing for your development progress can literally kill you. And here i am not undestand how the heck you decided that this is a good time to make a step towards permadeath and knockout protection relief.

I dont care about pvp changes because i'd rather play session-like games to try pvp rather than lose my yearly progress, but you've ruined your PvE gameplay.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby shubla » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:01 pm

Why you hate peaceful players so? First this, and then still no colors for sketches!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby VDZ » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:22 pm

jorb wrote:
  • When hitting a target, a comparison is also made between the target's Agility * Marksmanship, and your Perception * Marksmanship, which can further reduce your damage. Note that Marksmanship, thus, provides both the ability to defend against, and attack with, ranged weapons. Debatable whether this is good, feel free to have input.

Good or not, it's certainly not intuitive. How does marksmanship skill protect you from getting damaged by arrows (in a non-mechanical sense)?

Fostik wrote:Death mechanics means a lot for game mechanics. Since knock protection was implemented - game became harder in character developing, because devs are always lean on character immortality, so all new features or new world mechanics requires more effort from players, like mining hardness, ore depth, and so on, which makes game harder. It is also means that you need to do more job for you character development, and look at this shit - to dig better you need kill a vast amount of bears (just an example) while they can kill you on hunt. A thing that will give you +5 stats which means nothing for your development progress can literally kill you. And here i am not undestand how the heck you decided that this is a good time to make a step towards permadeath and knockout protection relief.

I dont care about pvp changes because i'd rather play session-like games to try pvp rather than lose my yearly progress, but you've ruined your PvE gameplay.

Eh, PvE still sounds a lot more forgiving than it was in legacy. I think this should be fine. You should be afraid of bears.
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:25 pm

VDZ wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • When hitting a target, a comparison is also made between the target's Agility * Marksmanship, and your Perception * Marksmanship, which can further reduce your damage. Note that Marksmanship, thus, provides both the ability to defend against, and attack with, ranged weapons. Debatable whether this is good, feel free to have input.

Good or not, it's certainly not intuitive. How does marksmanship skill protect you from getting damaged by arrows (in a non-mechanical sense)?

Actually, why not just rename the skill to something more generic like 'ranged combat' if this change sticks? It would make more sense that someone skilled in ranged combat in general would be less affected by ranged attackers.
VDZ

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:35 pm

VDZ wrote:Actually, why not just rename the skill to something more generic like 'ranged combat' if this change sticks? It would make more sense that someone skilled in ranged combat in general would be less affected by ranged attackers.

Hm, it has been my intention that "Marksmanship" conveys that well enough.
VDZ wrote:Eh, PvE still sounds a lot more forgiving than it was in legacy. I think this should be fine. You should be afraid of bears.

This. Though that being said, the vast majority of animals are only quite slightly deadly. I for one won't be much more afraid of them even with this change than I used to be.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:36 pm

Animals being dangerous again is good. They've been nerfed for multiple worlds, and it wasn't ultimately good for the game.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements