Game Development: An Arrow to the Knee

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: An Arrow to the Knee

Postby bmjclark » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 am

I'd rather this than the whole no rage KO protection thing, but at the same time i really feel like its kind of silly that killing someone comes down to trying to cleave them for X hhp without KOing them and then cleaving as hard as you can a second time. It's honestly such a weird game mechanic that it feels like an exploit.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby ZantetsukenX » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:47 am

ctopolon4 wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Looks like if you're KO'd by a pack of wolves it means 100% death

like real life

Man, there are going to be a lot of dead noobs next world I predict. Personally not that big of a fan of super deadly animals that aggro at max draw range, especially once that you can't outrun unless on a horse (like wolves), but I'll deal.

Keep up the good work Loftar/Jorb!!
ZantetsukenX

Postby TurtleHermit » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:58 am

Ants wrote:
jordancoles wrote:Looks like if you're KO'd by a pack of wolves it means 100% death

Hunt them with your friends or find a way to cheese them.

Either you are lucky to find a hole or you die. Seems you completely missed the point that there is this period where animals hunts you and if you are not using a custom client then those clearly outmatch your vision and aggro distance. Even with custom client I think that some animals can aggro from bigger distance than you can see.
TurtleHermit

Postby loftar » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:44 am

TurtleHermit wrote:Even with custom client I think that some animals can aggro from bigger distance than you can see.

That is absolutely not true.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Tahlia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:52 am

So the other day my husband was walking around our mines, and 7 boreworms jumped out of the ground and agro'd him at once. He was KO'd. With these changes it sounds like something we can't see to avoid might mean straight out death? Wheres the fun in that?
Do you know how much work it is that is lost when a character you have been playing months dies?
Why would I bother playing a game where 30 secs of being inattentive could cost me 10-15 days of work at this stage, none of which would be much fun.
Seriously. 90% of your updates seem to be crafting ones. Then you do shit like this. It doesn't make sense.
Please revert these changes. Or you need to massively nerf death. I do not want to have to relearn every items I've previously seen. I do not want to have to grinds my LP and stats back up. That is NOT fun.
Tahlia

Postby DoctorCookie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:56 am

ctopolon4 wrote:

like real life

Yea, thats what I want in a game, for it to be just like real life lol.
DoctorCookie

Postby Vigilance » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:01 am

totally fine with these changes as long as the player actually has a fair enough chance to avoid a PvE death, and in the case of boreworms as tahlia mentioned, theres really not enough grounds to do so.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby Tahlia » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:08 am

Went afk inside my base once and came back KO'd. Eagle got me. Now that could mean death. No more afk even inside your base?
Tahlia

Postby Ants » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:51 am

Tahlia wrote:Went afk inside my base once and came back KO'd. Eagle got me. Now that could mean death. No more afk even inside your base?

Just AFK in a house.

Tahlia wrote:So the other day my husband was walking around our mines, and 7 boreworms jumped out of the ground and agro'd him at once. He was KO'd. With these changes it sounds like something we can't see to avoid might mean straight out death? Wheres the fun in that?
Do you know how much work it is that is lost when a character you have been playing months dies?
Why would I bother playing a game where 30 secs of being inattentive could cost me 10-15 days of work at this stage, none of which would be much fun.
Seriously. 90% of your updates seem to be crafting ones. Then you do shit like this. It doesn't make sense.
Please revert these changes. Or you need to massively nerf death. I do not want to have to relearn every items I've previously seen. I do not want to have to grinds my LP and stats back up. That is NOT fun.

Relearning the items isn't much of a pain if you bother to build a library. You might have a point about invisible enemies, though. Maybe boreworms should spawn in lesser numbers on higher mine levels or not spawn at all on level 1.

What penalty would you suggest for death if not losing LP and stats? Death without a penalty seems kind of anticlimactic.
Haven's most kawaii retarded ethot karen
Ants

Postby Ardennesss » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:39 am

Ants wrote:
Tahlia wrote:Went afk inside my base once and came back KO'd. Eagle got me. Now that could mean death. No more afk even inside your base?

Just AFK in a house.

Easier solution, just don't log in. Presto, can't die if you don't play.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements