Game Development: Garden Bell

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Garden Bell

Postby Massala » Fri May 01, 2020 10:04 am

What's next, can't fight animals from a horse or kicksled?
Massala

Postby Stoneface » Fri May 01, 2020 6:10 pm

The amount of cheesing butt hurt is great with these folks. I personally love the change! :)
Stoneface

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat May 02, 2020 11:54 am

You didn't like it when we did this and shot ppl with bows out of it

This update basically turned Knarrs/Sneks into the above, except they can move really, really fast xd Also, it's still super easy to kill nabs by drowning them

I'm loathed to suggest it, because I know all of the larpers and hermits will flame me, but I rly think you would 90% solve the knarr/snek combat problem by restricting them to ocean water. I've always rly hated getting cut off by sneks/knarrs anyway, in the same way people cut you off with horses.

Having a faster snek/knarr in areas like this basically makes you invulnerable, and nearly makes it impossible for anybody to escape you unless they have a safepali. Plus, there's a lot of dumb stuff you gotta do with marriage of the sea, and grinding a goodQ snek/knarr every week that I think makes smaller/more casual groups disproportionately weaker for little reason.

imho it would fix a lot of balance issues at once, the only downside is ppl get upset when you take away convenience you let them taste already
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 03, 2020 2:51 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I'm loathed to suggest it, because I know all of the larpers and hermits will flame me, but I rly think you would 90% solve the knarr/snek combat problem by restricting them to ocean water. I've always rly hated getting cut off by sneks/knarrs anyway, in the same way people cut you off with horses.

Hermits, maybe, but it makes sense. (So maybe larpers would rejoice?) Larger boats have a deeper draft, especially seaworthy craft (needs it to maintain stability, not to mention weight of the vehicle). Maybe divide rivers and lakes up into three depths, too, and these ships are limited to only "deep" and "deeper" river/lakes. If a larger craft is needed for river navigation, trading, and hunting other than a rowboat, then let's get one.

It would force many groups to maintain two villages if they want a "main" area inland close to more suitable living conditions and a second "fishing/boat" village near navigable waters or accept a compromise between the two. Not a terrible proposition, but would be something to consider. There's always been different mining outposts, forts, etc., anyway, for some of the larger groups, so what's one more?
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Lunarius_Haberdash » Sun May 03, 2020 4:22 pm

MagicManICT wrote:Hermits, maybe, but it makes sense. (So maybe larpers would rejoice?) Larger boats have a deeper draft

Nope, LARPers would call bullshit. The Knarr seems to be analogous to the "Viking Longboat". If accurate, this means that one of its most important features was that it was able to traverse rivers, which is how they were able to so effectively raid right into the heart of places like England and Ireland. The Snekkja would have an even shallower draft.

Edit: Brief research has confirmed that the above is factual, though a Knarr is bigger than that which is typically classed a Longship. What does appear clear is that a Knarr's draft was shallow enough to cross almost any river of note. The Snekkja is small and light enough that a small group should theoretically be able to transport it across land with a little (significant?) effort.
Last edited by Lunarius_Haberdash on Sun May 03, 2020 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jorb: I don't want *your* money. You are rude and boring. Go away.
Sevenless: We already know real life has some pretty shitty game mechanics, it's why we're here instead.
Avu: The end is near it has finally come to pass: I agree with Lunarius...
Shubla: There are also other reasons to play this game than to maximize your stat gain.
Lunarius_Haberdash

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 03, 2020 4:25 pm

Well, I guess another pro is Lunarius wouldn't like it
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Mario_Demorez » Sun May 03, 2020 5:39 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Well, I guess another pro is Lunarius wouldn't like it

I think for your idea to be good you need to have a way to get knarrs and snekkjas from River and lakes to ocean. Otherwise like magic mentioned in everyone would have to have two separate claims if they didn’t live on ocean. Possible make it where a rowboat can tow knarrs and snekkjas in rivers and lakes. Currently in harbors big boats are required to be pulled around by smaller boats as to not produce waves to mess up the peace.
Mario_Demorez

Postby Audiosmurf » Sun May 03, 2020 5:43 pm

Mario_Demorez wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Well, I guess another pro is Lunarius wouldn't like it

I think for your idea to be good you need to have a way to get knarrs and snekkjas from River and lakes to ocean. Otherwise like magic mentioned in everyone would have to have two separate claims if they didn’t live on ocean. Possible make it where a rowboat can tow knarrs and snekkjas in rivers and lakes. Currently in harbors big boats are required to be pulled around by smaller boats as to not produce waves to mess up the peace.

coal-powered tugboats when
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Knarrs don't need to be claimed, and plopping down a 5k LP claim for a snek doesn't seem that cumbersome. That said, just giving them rowboat speeds in rivers would also achieve nearly the same end as long as they can't function as mobile archery forts xd I still think ocean only would be better
SnuggleSnail

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:35 am

More and more I'm having random hermits/small villages that live far deep in west cont, or the southern archipelagos asking to be covered by my realm. After doing some quik mafs, and a bunch of guesswork it has become apparent that the authority cost of expanding to them would take multiple years to pay for itself. As a result, I've basically ended up refusing to give a lot of people buffs.

While cairns being expensive to produce en mass is good for game balance at the top end, it seems bad for lesser groups if them being covered will never be a net positive for a realm. I personally don't really care either way about this, but realms actively not wanting to cover certain people seems like an unintended set of incentives the hermits won't be able to recognize/articulate, and therefore feel responsible for bringing it to your attention.

As usual the only solution I can rly come up with that doesn't create 30 more problems is either removing realms entirely, or the perks attached to them.
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements