Game Development: Smoked Zebra

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Smoked Zebra

Postby CSPAN » Sun May 10, 2020 10:27 pm

Wow, thank you, that'd be amazing.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby Ejnekor » Sun May 10, 2020 10:29 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:idk, seems like if somebody is willing to go to the effort of bashing your entire expansion every day, or bashing your gates every 8 hours for an extended period of time... It being harder for them to make safepalis nearby is probably more relevant to you having a fun time than them being able to seal your cornerposts.

That the thing, it is not 8 hours anymore. I had gates bashed almost 24 hours into dry period myself (maybe even longer) :) Its 2 days now to dry even after you build a gate into already dried corners. And it's easy to make so for a long period of time and THEN seal corners as well after that person gets vandalism. Well not anymore, but it was happening before. And the only way to rebuild that segment after that is to make a siege machine and bash corners to rebuild them back... and wait for them to dry for 2 days.
Ejnekor

Postby wonder-ass » Sun May 10, 2020 11:56 pm

Ejnekor wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:idk, seems like if somebody is willing to go to the effort of bashing your entire expansion every day, or bashing your gates every 8 hours for an extended period of time... It being harder for them to make safepalis nearby is probably more relevant to you having a fun time than them being able to seal your cornerposts.

That the thing, it is not 8 hours anymore. I had gates bashed almost 24 hours into dry period myself (maybe even longer) :) Its 2 days now to dry even after you build a gate into already dried corners. And it's easy to make so for a long period of time and THEN seal corners as well after that person gets vandalism. Well not anymore, but it was happening before. And the only way to rebuild that segment after that is to make a siege machine and bash corners to rebuild them back... and wait for them to dry for 2 days.

then build somewhere else get the HINT that they will fuck with you until world end.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby kirion » Mon May 11, 2020 4:11 am

I got a Field Cairn too close to my citern, was hopeful this patch helped me interact with it, no such luck. Can't even see the bounding box anymore.
Guess i'll have to destroy my priceless cistern...

kirion

Postby CSPAN » Mon May 11, 2020 5:03 am

I believe the fix is aimed at placement, so future cairns bounding boxes wont allow them to be built too closely to other objects.
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby jock » Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 am

Mining change is great
jock

Postby springyb » Mon May 11, 2020 6:25 am

jorb wrote:[*] Reduced the general variance in quality from ore.

It can also now drop below q10
springyb

Postby Thrawn00 » Tue May 12, 2020 8:01 am

I can't say I like the mining change. While I can't comment on the variance at really high q ores/stone. I know before the patch the mining I was doing in 40s and 50s was pretty stable changing by maybe 3 point on a single tile. Now mining a tile I see from 93 down to 64 on the same tile. Ore was going the same way from 52 down to 36 on the same tile.
Thrawn00

Postby Hadehariast » Wed May 13, 2020 2:40 am

Some interesting results from a couple of fish and Q10 Maple with a Q37 Smoker.

The Smoked Abyss Gazer seems like a decent find-- 8.93 FEP/Hunger at Q16.8.

Several types of bird meat (quail, chicken, swan, mallard, wood grouse) were underwhelming. Fish definitely seem like a better bet for smoking.

I'd also echo some of the preceding comments-- ore and stone seem to be far more variable now.
Hadehariast

Postby abt79 » Wed May 13, 2020 3:47 am

Dear Devs,

Smoking sucks. The hunger reduction is a neat concept and considering how badly kebabs fucked up balance last world I understand your desire to err on the side of caution, but so far smoking meats seems a less-than-compelling notion since multiple as-easy-or-easier methods of cooking yield stronger results (dried fish, sausage, and baking to name a few). I imagine lining up each meat with a specific wood that complements it just right might give a more substantial boost to its FEP/hunger but frankly even something like the mildly impressive Maple-smoked Abyss Gazer posted above isn't worth the effort of discovery or of maintaining an industry that relies on a specific slow-growing and otherwise useless tree.

In short, please buff this noob trap. It's dramatically underpowered compared to methods on a similar tier of industry (namely baking and fish drying) even if you assume players will bother with autistically testing each wood with each meat until they match perfectly, which most will not. For now, my meats will be dried or soapified rather than wasted on this nonsense.

..or just add smoked sausage/cheese, that would be cool
abt79

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements