Game Development: Sails Furled

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Sails Furled

Postby loftar » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:46 am

jordancoles wrote:So, you can't put a high q sail on a lower q boat to up its q?
And also that means you can't increase boat q with high q cloth?

It might be fun to make the attached sail quality influence the speed of the ship, so I think we might still consider it. We just didn't think of it until right before we were about to patch it. It could suck a bit to add it at this point though, since sails haven't been created with quality, but perhaps there could be some reasonable transition that could be made (pre-existing sails taking the quality of the knarr they're attached to, or something).

Sorry about the knarr quality bug. It was just intended as a quick internal update of the blueprint to a new system, so I didn't think much of it. Just goes to remind me to test even the slightest of changes, I guess.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby CSPAN » Mon Jul 13, 2020 1:59 am

Pop. has dwindled down to the dedicated, just shove good changes out, we don't care!
LS of Twin Lakes BIG TRUCKS
CSPAN

Postby IngloriouslyBad » Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:59 am

@ J&L

Could this possibly be a test for future modular builds for ships and the like? Cargo Hauler/Troop Transport/Whaler/Galley builds. How awesome would it be to have an ACTUAL whaling vessels with a scorpion mounted on the bow of the ship and bolts would have to be manually loaded from the cargo hold of the ship. Trading, PVE, and PVP possible builds!
IngloriouslyBad

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:41 am

loftar wrote:
jordancoles wrote:So, you can't put a high q sail on a lower q boat to up its q?
And also that means you can't increase boat q with high q cloth?

It might be fun to make the attached sail quality influence the speed of the ship, so I think we might still consider it. We just didn't think of it until right before we were about to patch it. It could suck a bit to add it at this point though, since sails haven't been created with quality, but perhaps there could be some reasonable transition that could be made (pre-existing sails taking the quality of the knarr they're attached to, or something).

Sorry about the knarr quality bug. It was just intended as a quick internal update of the blueprint to a new system, so I didn't think much of it. Just goes to remind me to test even the slightest of changes, I guess.

Yea weeks worth of work to get a high q knar update and so we get a q1 and lose half our mats. sucks
jason1982

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:05 am

It really makes you wonder about how much you want to keep supporting the game and devs when they mess up on a update and make hard work you and your villagers did worthless. and when asked they just say they are sorry but it wont happen again because they fixed there error. it does not change the lost work you have done. and when you have spent more on this game in the last couple months then a sub for a high end game mmo charges it reallly makes you wonder how much its deserved. I mean dont get me wrong they have built a great game i just feel like they should care more about the players that supports there game.
jason1982

Postby shubla » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:46 am

jason1982 wrote:It really makes you wonder about how much you want to keep supporting the game and devs when they mess up on a update and make hard work you and your villagers did worthless. and when asked they just say they are sorry but it wont happen again because they fixed there error. it does not change the lost work you have done. and when you have spent more on this game in the last couple months then a sub for a high end game mmo charges it reallly makes you wonder how much its deserved. I mean dont get me wrong they have built a great game i just feel like they should care more about the players that supports there game.

Game is on alpha etc. but I agree that they should pay more attention to prevent things like this from happening. This time all would have been easily avoided by just trying to build a knarr and then testing if the ql is correct. Which would be logical, when some stuff related to qualities was changed.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:47 am

shubla wrote:
jason1982 wrote:It really makes you wonder about how much you want to keep supporting the game and devs when they mess up on a update and make hard work you and your villagers did worthless. and when asked they just say they are sorry but it wont happen again because they fixed there error. it does not change the lost work you have done. and when you have spent more on this game in the last couple months then a sub for a high end game mmo charges it reallly makes you wonder how much its deserved. I mean dont get me wrong they have built a great game i just feel like they should care more about the players that supports there game.

Game is on alpha etc. but I agree that they should pay more attention to prevent things like this from happening. This time all would have been easily avoided by just trying to build a knarr and then testing if the ql is correct. Which would be logical, when some stuff related to qualities was changed.

Yes i know its in Alpha but that excuse only goes so far. Pluss its not that they messed up that I am upset about. It was the fact that they could have gave every one that got a q 1 knar a q20 or somthing not out of this world high but just somthing or just do a reset to before every thing messed up. there was ways they could have fixed it. Again it goes back to them not caring about the players and people supporting them on there store.
jason1982

Postby jason1982 » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:06 pm

I mean every one messes up every now and then. was it preventable sure but its a mistake. but its how you handle it that says what kind of person you are. if I did somthing that upeset somone I would try to make up for it not just say sorry.
jason1982

Postby Clemence » Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:19 pm

I guess we all aggree ist not nice, a knarr is a verry important thing, messing it cause you were building it in the short time an obvious bug were in place and cant replace it by a non-bug one is indeed upseting, condoleances :cry:
Clemence

Postby Lurux » Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:58 pm

It might seem a little obvious here. But choosing to make a knarr, knowing that there was just an implementation with possible bugs : I would have waited out for the 1 or 2 days to create my own knarr before more feedback was given by the community. Ofcours yes, this should not be happening and it sucks..
Lurux

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements