Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Alchemical Adventures

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:27 pm

Slowwalker wrote:
jorb wrote:
  • Added Alchemy.
    <...>
    • A raw material -- base ingredient acquired from nature -- can only be used once in an alchemical elixir or process, meaning that you can't, for example, use both Blueberries and an Herbal Grind made from two blueberries, to create a perfectly matched elixir.

It was a long time ago. But the question for the mechanics remained. Why can't we make elixir from Blueberries and Herbal Grind(blueberries+dandelion)? After all, the Herbal Grind has completely different properties, which do not coincide with the properties of the Blueberries included in its composition.

I haven't done enough tests to be sure, but I thought they were quasi related and often shared traits with their parent ingredients.

Either way, just seems fair enough to me I guess. My real issue is how much I hate my mushroom choices cause I don't want to spend that much mercury T_T
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Slowwalker » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:25 pm

Sevenless wrote:I haven't done enough tests to be sure, but I thought they were quasi related and often shared traits with their parent ingredients.

Yes, maybe there is a connection. But that doesn't change my question. Those. let CONST + PERS together give Carpentry. But blueberries don't have Carpentry, why am I still forbidden to mix? I'll get another poison, that's all.

What's wrong with mushrooms? In my last experiment, the mushroom did not affect the final potion in any way, although it coincided with one property with one component. But I haven't done all the checks yet, maybe I was just wrong.
Slowwalker

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:10 pm

Slowwalker wrote:
Sevenless wrote:I haven't done enough tests to be sure, but I thought they were quasi related and often shared traits with their parent ingredients.

Yes, maybe there is a connection. But that doesn't change my question. Those. let CONST + PERS together give Carpentry. But blueberries don't have Carpentry, why am I still forbidden to mix? I'll get another poison, that's all.

What's wrong with mushrooms? In my last experiment, the mushroom did not affect the final potion in any way, although it coincided with one property with one component. But I haven't done all the checks yet, maybe I was just wrong.

Having the desired trait on the mushroom lets you make vastly more powerful potion cheaply. The only stat really "worth" boosting is str imo, so it'd just be nice to have a cheap strength option in the mushroom potions. But none of the mushrooms I've been able to get my hands on have str in them.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Slowwalker » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:14 am

How can I know with a guarantee which part of the cattail is used here as an "Alchemical ingredient", and which as "Herb" ? How can I even manage the ordering of items in a recipe?
Slowwalker

Postby shubla » Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:53 pm

Slowwalker wrote:Image
How can I know with a guarantee which part of the cattail is used here as an "Alchemical ingredient", and which as "Herb" ? How can I even manage the ordering of items in a recipe?

You probably cant except by order or something. I think good solution would be to have small icons in item corners that tell which input they are used for.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:28 pm

The order of ingredients doesn't matter.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby Slowwalker » Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:22 pm

Sevenless wrote:The order of ingredients doesn't matter.

Order is perhaps not important. But what is important is what is used as an "appendage" in the preparation of the potion.
For mercury it is a stone. For a mushroom - a mushroom. And for herbal - a herb.
I have found what this is affecting (but have not yet come up with a proven theory on how to manage it). But only the "appendage" can be the ingredient itself. Therefore, mixing three stones in a mercury potion, three mushrooms in a mushroom potion or two herbs in a herbal potion, it is difficult to determine which of the ingredients will be the "appendage".

The only way I have found is to have an empty inventory, put the ingredients in it in reverse order from how they appear in the recipe, close and open the recipe. It is not very convenient, and without focus it causes a problem.
Slowwalker

Postby Sevenless » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:10 pm

I've seen no evidence that the category locked item has unusual effects on the potion. The game's pattern of picking alchemical ingredients can be a pain though. Most common I see is lyed item + herb for swill. It'll pick the general ingredient first, then it'll look for the herb. Since it picked the herb, it'll just "not find anything" and the lye won't highlight.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby shubla » Sat May 15, 2021 1:05 pm

jorb wrote:Added Alchemy.

I am extremely disappointed that you fucked this system up completely. Its a great idea but the elixirs are just not worth doing, it would take 3 months to heal wound with elixir, that could be healed with ordinary medicine in 3 days. I cannot believe how it has been almost year since it was implemented and it still sucks this bad, I guess most people don't complain on forums or anything but just completely stop making them when they realize what waste of time it has all been?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Archiplex » Sat May 15, 2021 1:37 pm

shubla wrote:
jorb wrote:Added Alchemy.

I am extremely disappointed that you fucked this system up completely. Its a great idea but the elixirs are just not worth doing, it would take 3 months to heal wound with elixir, that could be healed with ordinary medicine in 3 days. I cannot believe how it has been almost year since it was implemented and it still sucks this bad, I guess most people don't complain on forums or anything but just completely stop making them when they realize what waste of time it has all been?

man finds one wound that should probably heal faster, discards entire system as being shit
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements