Game Development: UI Scaling

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: UI Scaling

Postby vatas » Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:48 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Imagine not having a "build mode" in your video game about building, for when you need precision.

this tbh
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby DPblH » Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:54 pm

Apocoreo wrote:Imagine not having a "build mode" in your video game about building, for when you need precision.

There wasn't quality displaying for 11 years, in the game about quality. What are you talking about? :lol:
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Apocoreo » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:08 am

DPblH wrote:

There wasn't quality displaying for 11 years, in the game about quality. What are you talking about? :lol:

Other video games :|
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby WESKERBOY » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:18 am

DPblH wrote:

Also mod clienta run better... Default gets stuck so muchhh
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:21 am

iamahh wrote:cheaper solution is old MMO expandable slotbar, then allow to add toggles to it

you do know you can cycle through 5 hotbars with (I believe) alt+1,2,3,4,5? In vanilla, since like... always?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:37 am

vatas wrote:

this tbh

What do you imagine this "build mode" consisting of?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Zentetsuken » Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 am

jorb wrote:
vatas wrote:

this tbh

jordancoles wrote:Bad camera, bounding boxes for placing objects, the ability to hide flavor objects/trees, gridline mode for mining and placing objects and a moveable + resizable minimap with player indicators are what I consider to be core features that make the game playable in the long-term. I don't care about disabling day/night effects at all, and in some cases, I prefer it turned on.

food for thought -

if you implement all these features that totally destroy the heart and soul of your game and go against the grain of everything you believe in as a devout wholesome christian game developer as tools for a "build mode," and 99% of your playerbase accidentally play the entire game with "build mode" on, maybe you will be able to sleep better.
Zentetsuken

Postby Jalpha » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:43 pm

Just a friendly prompt for concerned individuals to research for themselves the dramas which unfolded for the developers of Project Zomboid when they "appropriated" user created content.

It's a tricky path to walk and not as simple as just implementing other peoples work.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby vatas » Sat Oct 17, 2020 3:43 pm

jorb wrote:
vatas wrote:

this tbh

You will need gridlines at least and I'll concede that you can access them by placing a Land Survey.

Also some objects aren't showing clearly how big their hitbox is going to be, other than placing down a sign and looking at the construction thingy.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby MagicManICT » Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:18 pm

Jalpha wrote:Just a friendly prompt for concerned individuals to research for themselves the dramas which unfolded for the developers of Project Zomboid when they "appropriated" user created content.

Blizzard has been doing this since at least WotLK for WoW when it comes to "popular mods."
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements