Game Development: Setting Icons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Setting Icons

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:32 pm

ElSid wrote:When we can expect new client code pushed to github?

Sorry, I have a tendency to forget the public repos. Should be pushed now.

ElSid wrote:From my experience what is really useful is to have icons and ridges in the map window exaclty like in minimap so you can click on them. That I did for my custom client version:

Certainly. As I mentioned elsewhere, I do intend to integrate the minimap and map window further at some point.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby WowGain » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:40 pm

loftar wrote:As I mentioned elsewhere, I do intend to integrate the minimap and map window further at some point.

Here's an idea then
Just merge them together into a detachable window that can be resized and zoomed from as small as render distance to showing the full supergrid size as in the map window, with toggles for showing the interface for adding waypoints and other such map features
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Oct 18, 2020 11:49 pm

WowGain wrote:
loftar wrote:As I mentioned elsewhere, I do intend to integrate the minimap and map window further at some point.

Here's an idea then
Just merge them together into a detachable window that can be resized and zoomed from as small as render distance to showing the full supergrid size as in the map window, with toggles for showing the interface for adding waypoints and other such map features
Aka do what Boshaw already did.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby WowGain » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:04 am

Ardennesss wrote:Aka do what Boshaw already did.

Yea sure if they just want to merge that work into the default but as they've said before they're (generally) not interested in merging other people's work if it doesn't play well with how they organize their code

They could've just ripped the minimap features for this update from amber but obviously they decided to go their own way with it
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Reyajh » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:32 am

AceOfSpades Bowler2c.png
AceOfSpades Bowler2c.png (221.43 KiB) Viewed 260 times

Something seems amiss...
Edit: That's in ElSid's Amber proly something to do with that..?
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

Postby loftar » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:05 am

Reyajh wrote:Something seems amiss...

Yes, clients that haven't merged the UI scaling code will display the newly drawn icons in their raw (large) form. I do actually have the code in the old branch organized in such a manner that it should be possible for people maintaining clients off of that branch to merge the UI scaling work, but since that probably clashes with a lot of their own UI changes making for a less-than-trivial merge, I'm not sure how much interest there would be in going through that without also taking the step to use the code of the new client in its fullness.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby jordancoles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:17 am

jordancoles wrote:would you ever, or have you ever, loaded up ardennes's or Amber client to see how it works in practice? You could literally rip their features out 1:1, and if you don't ask any questions, these qol features would hit the mark every single time
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:50 am

loftar wrote:
Reyajh wrote:Something seems amiss...

Yes, clients that haven't merged the UI scaling code will display the newly drawn icons in their raw (large) form. I do actually have the code in the old branch organized in such a manner that it should be possible for people maintaining clients off of that branch to merge the UI scaling work, but since that probably clashes with a lot of their own UI changes making for a less-than-trivial merge, I'm not sure how much interest there would be in going through that without also taking the step to use the code of the new client in its fullness.

Pull the plug! Pull the plug! People have had plenty of time to adapt.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:52 am

If you guys are focused on improving vanilla client rn, consider adding a drinking keybind, and removing loading screens. As far as I'm concerned, both are required for combat, as well as just generally being nice QoL.

I don't know exactly how you handle loading resources/areas, but high ping/bad internet players legit have to wait >1 full second for an area to load. My eastern european friends can very consistently enter a great hall at the same time as me and go up the stairs on the other side of the room before I can even see my screen. Rly makes using towers with their 7 loading screens cancer. Amber/Ender don't have disabled loading screens, so in addition to making vanilla better, it would make public custom clients better.

Amber/Ender have a drinking keybind, but don't use widget prediction. The flower menu makes their drinking script kinda unusable in combat in most situations. Luckily our lord and savior widget prediction is there to save we high ping sinners, but most public clients don't use that, and presumably you could do the same thing in a less hacky way. Like just keybinding every waterskin/flask to one button(also useful for not filling every bar when you want to auto-drink out of a lot of flasks for digging/etc). Again, it would make vanilla far more usable, while at the same time benefiting the majority of the userbase that will still be using customs.
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 19, 2020 1:55 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:If you guys are focused on improving vanilla client rn, consider adding a drinking keybind, and removing loading screens. As far as I'm concerned, both are required for combat, as well as just generally being nice QoL.

I don't know exactly how you handle loading resources/areas, but high ping/bad internet players legit have to wait >1 full second for an area to load. My eastern european friends can very consistently enter a great hall at the same time as me and go up the stairs on the other side of the room before I can even see my screen. Rly makes using towers with their 7 loading screens cancer. Amber/Ender don't have disabled loading screens, so in addition to making vanilla better, it would make public custom clients better.

Amber/Ender have a drinking keybind, but don't use widget prediction. The flower menu makes their drinking script kinda unusable in combat in most situations. Luckily our lord and savior widget prediction is there to save we high ping sinners, but most public clients don't use that, and presumably you could do the same thing in a less hacky way. Again, it would make vanilla far more usable, while at the same time benefiting the majority of the userbase that will still be using customs.

Better is a subjective term. Which is the problem regarding adding of many client additions to default client.
Is it better to see very unfinished gameworld that you cannot fully interact with than a loading screen. Why any games have loading screens, when they could just show you the world in unfinished form and make objects appear later as they are loaded?

Some people view this game differently than you. Something that should look good for the eye etc.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements