Game Development: Setting Icons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Setting Icons

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:00 am

shubla wrote:Better is a subjective term. Which is the problem regarding adding of many client additions to default client.
Is it better to see very unfinished gameworld that you cannot fully interact with than a loading screen.

At very least I think everybody would agree dying in a loading screen is less than ideal, and oh boy, I've killed a lot of people in house loading screens.

There's probably a way Loftar can cut down on the load time instead of simply removing the loading screen, considering people with low ping/good internet basically don't get loading screens. I bring it up mostly because I think it's an issue Jorb and Loftar wouldn't experience themselves since they live relatively close to the server
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby shubla » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:04 am

SnuggleSnail wrote: I bring it up mostly because I think it's an issue Jorb and Loftar wouldn't experience themselves since they live relatively close to the server

Actually I've thought before about forcing/suggesting devs to simulate 500ms ping to the servers for some time during their development, so they could do at least the most obvious ping-related improvements. Assuming that they have not done it before.

But how does loading screen actually work? Can you see the player who is attacking you and defend when all the things have not loaded yet?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:09 am

You can still move via the minimap, attack, defend, interact with objects via scripts. You just can't see/interact with anything in the game world using clicks.

If somebody has particularly high ping, and doesn't have load screens disabled, it's SUPERRRR easy to go in after them, push them off the teleport point for the door in the direction of a wall, and block them with 2 people. Kinda funny considering getting blocked makes you way more likely to die than being KOed regularly.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby jordancoles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 am

The industry standard:

Seatribe's implementation:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:14 am

Nice update
Fierce_Deity

Postby DDDsDD999 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:36 am

jordancoles wrote:The industry standard:

Loftar keeps asking for constructive criticism and you guys keep posting these pointless image macros.

For actual criticism: I keep complaining about how default client basically has the same transfer/drop hotkeys as custom clients, except Transfer all, probably the most used one. For some reason it's ctrl+shift. The hotkeys should follow the consistent custom client scheme: ctrl = drop, shift = transfer, alt = all of the same type.

Being able to manipulate the size of the minimap icons could be cool, just some sort of % slider for all icons.

Exporting/importing the radars to different accounts in a similar fashion for the map tiles seems important. This would make having to see the thing first not be the deal breaker it is right now.

Presets like combat schools for minimap icons would also be good, so you could have a hunting one, a foraging one, a fighting one, etc.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:01 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:
shubla wrote:Better is a subjective term. Which is the problem regarding adding of many client additions to default client.
Is it better to see very unfinished gameworld that you cannot fully interact with than a loading screen.

At very least I think everybody would agree dying in a loading screen is less than ideal, and oh boy, I've killed a lot of people in house loading screens.

There's probably a way Loftar can cut down on the load time instead of simply removing the loading screen, considering people with low ping/good internet basically don't get loading screens. I bring it up mostly because I think it's an issue Jorb and Loftar wouldn't experience themselves since they live relatively close to the server

The problem is the complete lack of load screens. The character is dropped into the world immediately upon location transition, whether it is going into or out of a house/cave or starting the game. The mods allow you to interact with what is already there rather than waiting for the rest of the scene to load.

What the game needs is actual loading screens, waiting on the client to be 100% loaded, maybe even only 80 or 90% if there can be a guarantee that the player can play successfully, and the player ready. I think I've mentioned this before, and it doesn't matter if it's a PvP situation, or if the player logs in to the wilderness and a bear or snake spawns in their lap.

Of course, the house thing will be moot if modular housing comes later as the housing will be a part of the world rather than a pocket dimension, but there will still be level transitions. There will still be logging into the game for the first time after the client is launched.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby jordancoles » Mon Oct 19, 2020 6:24 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:
jordancoles wrote:The industry standard:

Loftar keeps asking for constructive criticism and you guys keep posting these pointless image macros.

You laughed tho? ¦]
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:46 am

jordancoles wrote:You laughed tho? ¦]

They gonna delete the custom clients bro
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby vatas » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:50 am

MagicManICT wrote:Of course, the house thing will be moot if modular housing comes later as the housing will be a part of the world rather than a pocket dimension, but there will still be level transitions. There will still be logging into the game for the first time after the client is launched.

Yup, my planned response of "just use shift+enter so you load up as an eyeball first and can abort the transfer if it's unsafe" won't help with this one.

Also I recall something about people with high-end computers repeatedly entering and exiting a house during a PvP combat to throw off opponent with a toaster who couldn't load the transitions as fast.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements