Game Development: Setting Icons

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Setting Icons

Postby sMartins » Tue Oct 20, 2020 4:12 pm

I'm glad to see so much love to the default client! The game will benefit a ton.
I'd hardly call anything the Bible of our times » special thanks to MagicManICT
I only logged in to say this sentence. by neeco » 30 Oct 2018, 02:57
Default Client, Best Client!
sMartins

Postby VDZ » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:06 am

jorb wrote:Image

Why not append tree names with 'Tree' (e.g. 'Beech Tree' instead of just 'Beech') and do the same with 'Bush' and 'Boulder'? I imagine that would help a lot in searching for 'that one tree I don't know what it was called'. Alternatively, the type could be specified behind it (e.g. 'Beech (tree)'; would work for all categories), that would also let players search/filter more easily.

jordancoles wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] The list as such, though not your particular settings, are kept server side, and you keep it if you clear your java cache or start playing on another computer, or whatever.
[*] The list is kept per account, rather than character, so all characters on a specific account share their icon list, and it should persist over world resets and the like!

..why? At that point why not just have it unlocked for all accounts.

Because some people play on different PCs and it's quite annoying to have some data on one PC and other data on another PC.
VDZ

Postby ctopolon4 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:35 pm

another checkbox for sound alarm would be awesome
ctopolon4

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:03 pm

ctopolon4 wrote:another checkbox for sound alarm would be awesome

sound alarms that we can set with custom sounds, just like in shubla's client, please loftar

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:37 am

loftar wrote:I think the loading-screen situation should already be improved quite a fair bit in the rendering client, unless there are some more improvements that could be made that I'm not aware of. Not sure if you've tried it.]

I did some minor testing, and don't see a difference between load times on old render and new render.

https://gfycat.com/sourwanfossa (new render)
2.61>3.84 = 1230MS loading screen, nearly triple my ping, and certainly not affected by my bandwidth.

https://gfycat.com/liveringedboutu (old render, loading screens disabled)
1.88>2.29 = 410 MS for the floor to load in (about equal to my MS)

My eastern European friends load in everything faster on default than I load in the floor on loading screens disabled. If somebody has high MS, somebody with low MS has like .8 to 1 full second to push them as they're going through a loading screen, or that much extra time to run away. It's kinda circumstantial, but high MS players basically can't do anything in certain situations without client mods because of this.

I almost died because of load screens in world 11. My internet was shitting itself so I was getting stuck on loading map tiles, still completely able to move via the map and interact with everything via script, just couldn't get out of the knarr because that required a mouse click. In the same situation with loading screens disabled the ground is black, and some objects are invisible, but you can still do basic stuff like get out of a knarr when people are hitting you.

Another thing I forgot is circumstantially bad on vanilla client while waiting for everything to be ported to new render is tile transition: https://gfycat.com/energeticgrandiosedarwinsfox

I bet a lot of nabs have died because Odeeper and Odeep have the same color in vanilla. Early world when we knarred around a lot we would unironically see like two or three corpses a day like 10 tiles out into Odeeper with no signs of violence. Kinda funny.

xd I imagine these things go against the artistic aspirations you guys have for vanilla client, though, so I'll just be quiet about it now
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby jorb » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:03 pm

No patch tonight, as the thing we're working on took longer than expected. Should be done next week, in any event. Happy Sunday!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:14 pm

jorb wrote:No patch tonight, as the thing we're working on took longer than expected. Should be done next week, in any event. Happy Sunday!

Custom sound a.l.a.r.m.s.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Fierce_Deity » Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:38 am

A slider to change the size/scale of map icons could be nice
Fierce_Deity

Postby kabuto202 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:23 pm

loftar wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:The use of resizing would be for precise viewing of minimap icons (zooming in)

Oh, ok, so what you're saying is that the real use of a resizable minimap is the ability to zoom in on it?

I'm not sure if this was clarified, but Ender's client would memorize cells on the map grid that you've visited before. So even if objects aren't being rendered, having the ability to zoom out and reference the nearby topology makes navigation a lot easier. That being said, I'm not sure how relevant that suggestion is to this particular update.
kabuto202

Postby shubla » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:07 am

I certainly hope that the next addition to default client is related to the improvement of the map as discussed earlier.
(Getting rid of the small map, replacing it with the "bigger" map, ability to toggle borders of the big map so you can have it small, resizable and neat. etc)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements