Game Development: Map Rework

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Map Rework

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:58 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:Now's the perfect time to suggest specifics to J&L and discuss it directly with them

that's the problem - let's fuck all that work done by hundreds of players to accomplish "my idea is on jorb's todo-list" and just lay the development on "someone said random shit in the right moment". seems like another proof we don't need C&I sub-forum at all

Yikes. I think you need to take a couple deep, calming breaths before you post from now on.
It's very hard to understand what you are trying to say beyond that your are very, very angry at the developers of a game that nobody is forcing you to play.
Zentetsuken

Postby WowGain » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:14 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
Apocoreo wrote:Now's the perfect time to suggest specifics to J&L and discuss it directly with them

that's the problem - let's fuck all that work done by hundreds of players to accomplish "my idea is on jorb's todo-list" and just lay the development on "someone said random shit in the right moment". seems like another proof we don't need C&I sub-forum at all

what exactly are you complaining about here
i genuinely cannot parse whatever this is supposed to be into a succinct point
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby dafels » Tue Nov 03, 2020 11:39 am

Enjoyment_2 wrote:We don't need C&I sub-forum at all

I approve this. The number of ideas that are worthy their attention you can only count on 1 hand.

I think he is salty about the devs spending their time on the default client, who cares tbh, but I think it is critical for the devs to make the default experience playable and it has been a critical issue for years. It seems that only now they have came to conclusion that they should prioritize user experience, a few years late. I mean, it is common industry knowledge that UX should be the n1 priority. I think that one of their main focus now should be making the default experience actually playable. Sometimes their close mindedness because of "muhhh principles", "cam bad is bad" is doing more bad than good and making me cringe though.
dafels

Postby Cayur » Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:41 pm

getting default client ready for steam release ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Cayur

Postby shubla » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:18 pm

Cayur wrote:getting default client ready for steam release ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You heard it here first!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby mvgulik » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:33 pm

> It seems that only now they have come to the conclusion that they should prioritize user experience.

I think that remains to be seen.
Seems still wishful thinking to me at this point.

(Example: The new map-icon-toggle might be a nice new additional feature to the default client. But its poorly implemented when it comes to its UI, making it a poorly user-friendly feature. In its current form I for one would not like to trade it in for what's currently available, in this area, in the custom clients.)
mvgulik

Postby Jalpha » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:38 pm

Fierce_Deity wrote:The backhanded compliments from some of you are kind of tiresome.

shubla wrote:Good job with the map! Looks good at least!

KwonChiMin wrote:10 years into the game default client is beginning to be playable

Jalpha wrote:Never thought I would live to see the day that foraging got a buff.

Thanks for working hard Jorb & Loftar!

Hey man, you must have missed the effort I invested into challenging all the foraging nerfs which were designed to stop the bots but only made them stronger. I am like a starving man offered a single grain of rice. I welcome this meal but my belly is still empty.

I am no less appreciative than you are despite my cynicism. I'm sure that in comparison to some of the heat the devs receive my tongue in cheek flashback humour, which while sarcastic, is not intended to be harmful and is not received as such.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Potjeh » Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:56 pm

Default client will remain useless as long as it hides potential enemies behind trees, buildings etc. People need to be shown on minimap, and also showing outlines of objects behind other objects (like in AoE II) could be a less ugly way to get the functionality of custom clients' tree hiding.
Image Bottleneck
Potjeh

Postby loftar » Wed Nov 04, 2020 2:11 am

dafels wrote:Less clicks to do something = better from the player perspective. That is the absolute truth that you can't bend, but only to encourage.

If that were the absolute, unbendable and simple truth, we wouldn't have had requests to put a confirmation dialog in the way of declaiming claims. Just saying.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Thaydi » Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:41 am

loftar wrote:
dafels wrote:Less clicks to do something = better from the player perspective. That is the absolute truth that you can't bend, but only to encourage.

If that were the absolute, unbendable and simple truth, we wouldn't have had requests to put a confirmation dialog in the way of declaiming claims. Just saying.

I think it is a different situation, as I'm sure you're aware. In the case you're bringing, the confirmation dialog is required so the player doesn't commit any dumb mistake. But in other tasks, mainly foraging, farming and whatever else, it is always better to have less clicks to perform the same monotonous task.
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements