Game Development: Map Rework

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Map Rework

Postby MightySheep » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:40 pm

I dont get it, isnt this just a basic version of what all the custom clients already have?

Why dont you just steal soemones custom client and make it the new default one rather than slowly attempting to catch up to them
MightySheep

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:44 pm

MightySheep wrote:Why dont you just steal soemones custom client and make it the new default one rather than slowly attempting to catch up to them

So people can play when custom clients break.
I'll always take client improvements over 1 extra flower/mushroom/bird + hat.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Mon Nov 02, 2020 1:59 pm

MightySheep wrote:Why dont you just steal soemones custom client and make it the new default one rather than slowly attempting to catch up to them

There was some discussion about that somewhere around here in the UI scaling thread.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:03 pm

Nightdawg wrote:I'll always take client improvements over 1 extra flower/mushroom/bird + hat.

well, the real question is "Are there any other improvements, that could be done with HnH, which you'' take over both of that?"
Nightdawg wrote:So people can play when custom clients break

on a scale from 0 to 100 - how playable was the default client before map changes and how it is after? just curious
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Nightdawg » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:20 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:on a scale from 0 to 100 - how playable was the default client before map changes and how it is after? just curious

They should probably hold patches for an entire year and just release all of them at once to please you? Every client improvement will increase the rating on that scale. Even if it's only 1 extra point, it's better than a winter mushroom.
You seem to be complaining about these changes as if romovs (or whoever's custom client you're using) works for you. How outrageous of loftar to improve the client, when romovs slaves a free client for us. :roll:
Or perhaps you're the one maintaining your own client?
You've seen how the population drops when a client update just breaks custom clients. At the moment even hermits use custom clients, but these steady updates might actually make the default client playable for them.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:56 pm

so no answer, right?
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby shubla » Mon Nov 02, 2020 2:59 pm

One can indeed ask what more the default client needs to add playability?
There will always be reason to use custom clients, because devs will never add every little single thing that people want.
You must remember that people want stuff like bots, replacement of objects with various colored polygons. Highlighting gobs with colors based on their state (like turn drying frames bright red when they have dried things in them etc.) Custom sound effects when things appear in screen.. Calculating enemy combat stats when you hit them. Various combat information improvements.

Stuff like improvement of the map is something that we all can agree on was a good decision. But there are many things that are just a matter of opinion and devs probably don't want in the main client.

Few reasons to still use custom clients because of better map window:
1. Highlighting of players with circles on the map, very useful to see where people are
2. Queuing movements as mentioned above
3. Sharing of player location on map with your friends & villagers
4. Browsing of different map layers like caves etc. even if you are not in cave
5. Sharing your map data automatically with other villagers via custom client
6. Custom markers with more meaningful icons than just flags (Like the Village idol for example)
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DPblH » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:33 pm

Speaking of improvements: why do we have menu option "Pick" for herbs? All custom clients anyway implements their own autopicking functionality. Just remove "Pick" option from herbs, there is anyway only one action for them.
Give a man a game engine and he delivers a game. Teach a man how to make a game engine and he never delivers anything.
DPblH

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:02 pm

shubla wrote:Stuff like improvement of the map is something that we all can agree on was a good decision.

well, that's the part I question. Of course, the new map is way better than the old one, but was the focusing on the map a good decision in the light of improving vanilla - that's still a question for me.
I mean, when someone says "I like a new map" he should ask himself "do I like that devs are working on that particular change instead of something else? Was it the most critical issue?"

Just to be clear - I don't think the last updates were bad, I think the whole route devs choose to get there is bad. And Im not saying default client should look like some shit from pvp-videos with all that flat-world with a bunch of colorful squares, but there is a jorb's The List, and I assume it has some hundreds of improvements (approved by devs) for default client playability increase, and some of those changes wait for 5 years and it seems to that updates of map is something that bury them even deeper.
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Thaydi » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:13 pm

DPblH wrote:Speaking of improvements: why do we have menu option "Pick" for herbs? All custom clients anyway implements their own autopicking functionality. Just remove "Pick" option from herbs, there is anyway only one action for them.

+1 to this! It is really a very good suggestion.
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements