Game Development: Cattle Time

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Cattle Time

Postby Lalaxx » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:40 pm

too bad all my animals starved to death already
Lalaxx

Postby yozzik111 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:41 pm

Loftar, I am really excited about recent changes in custom client. Just please fix I for Mac OS or, if it's on my side, help me to figure out how can I fix it.
Wengdalf, gurbibal master, drunken hunter, the thief of Constantinopol, he who never died of man`s hand, son of Severin, grandson of Yozz, Yozzik. Also an owl.

P.S. More nice hats please!
yozzik111

Postby SnuggleSnail4 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:42 pm

Without a way to distinguish between the animals listed on this sheet in the actual game, I don't think it's really very useful. Moving towards the animal will only work for people with small pens, which I think are not the people who used the amber animal manager.

Also, could the animal memo be ranged like memoing players(or DDD's suggestions are even better tbh)? The tile transition fix is DANK
SnuggleSnail4

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:44 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Added "Cattle Roster". Domesticated animals can now be "Memorized" from their flower menus, and doing so adds them to your Cattle Roster. The Cattle Roster provides a quick and easily accessible overview of known animals, where you can sort them by their names and other various qualities. Should simplify management of them significantly. You can find it under "Adventure" -> "Cattle Roster".

mostly useless, because there's no indicator of an animal's gender and a bunch of them still have the same name, so you can't mark best q pair (and pretty easy can end up killing all your hogs but saving a pair of best q sows - may be a valid choice for a tolerant society, but dumb shit for livestock managing)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:45 pm

SnuggleSnail4 wrote:Also, could the animal memo be ranged like memoing players(or DDD's suggestions are even better tbh)?

We did consider that, but weren't sure what restrictions should apply. It's not obvious that people want to disclose their cattle qualities to anyone just passing nearby, so we decided to at least start out like this.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby shubla » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm

loftar wrote:
SnuggleSnail4 wrote:Also, could the animal memo be ranged like memoing players(or DDD's suggestions are even better tbh)?

We did consider that, but weren't sure what restrictions should apply. It's not obvious that people want to disclose their cattle qualities to anyone just passing nearby, so we decided to at least start out like this.

Solution is simple: Make it require trespassing right on the claim. Without trespassing you have to get close, and with trespassing its ranged. According to the claim that the animal is on, of course.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Slowwalker » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:49 pm

All I'm missing right now in the original client is a user-friendly hand and belt interface. It's not very convenient to climb into the interface with a bunch of other things every time. Well, additional bars for "favorites" actions would be useful.
Slowwalker

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:53 pm

loftar wrote:

Could let us build a pasture area and you can memo every animal in the assigned perimeter, as long as you're within a few tiles of the pasture.
DDDsDD999

Postby Apocoreo » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:55 pm

loftar wrote:It's not obvious that people want to disclose their cattle qualities to anyone just passing nearby, so we decided to at least start out like this.

And it's a good start, I figured you would have to memo the animals like how this system works.

Newborns could be automemo'd if their mother is
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 29, 2020 9:58 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Could let us build a pasture area and you can memo every animal in the assigned perimeter, as long as you're within a few tiles of the pasture.

Might be a lot of tack-on, but I really think the number of animals that can be used in breeding should be limited to reduce the difference between hyper-efficient setups and regular people setups :D a pasture that limits the numbers of individuals in it & them not being able to breed outside the pasture would limit a lot of potential for people to ruin the game for themselves by meta gaming too much
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements