Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Wind in the Willows

Postby strpk0 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:33 pm

iamahh wrote:lol reading this thread I was expecting some crazy change to badcam, only noticed that zoom is much better

It was way worse when initally released. Now after a client reload its actually quite nice.
I retract my complaints. Thanks for fixing the zooming aswell.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby Thaydi » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 pm

Loved the new tree animations! Nice job, guys!
World 10 - Founder and Duke of the Duchy of Rattenschloß
World 9 - Founder of Meadhaus County
Thaydi

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:34 pm

Decent update to the client, people seem to hate just to hate.
Pls let us turn off the tree moving I honestly hate it.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:39 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:ah yes, I think the few people who mentioned that specifically wanted a slider that they could adjust themselves

That is what those several people said, but I reckoned the real problem was simply that the zoom was too slow universally and across the board, which was a far simpler and less controversial thing to fix that adding settings for it.

Zentetsuken wrote:and since you are now putting time in to supporting this camera style, will you fix the QG pointers?

I wouldn't want to give the impression that the badcam is now supported, would I? Judging from comments in this thread, it's probably for the best if it stays broken.
I actually looked at that quite a while ago, and support of badcam aside I'd like to fix it if only for the reason that it's clearly mathematically incorrect, but it needed some client changes that everyone had to merge before it could be fixed, so I made those and then waited with the actual fix. I'll go on with that at some point in the future.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:42 pm

Loftar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Please do if you can, it feels like it's a bit too much.

If you reload your client, I've applied the same smoothing change to the orthocam. I can perhaps appreciate the increased feeling of precision that it gives to zoom and rotation, but I'm not sure I like it for movement.

Thank you!
Please leave the movement like this too, it's so much better than what it was earlier. Ortho cam genuinely gives me motion sickness, not the smooth zoom/rotation, but that follow thing. The way it was earlier with bad cam was the same thing to me, now it's perfect.

if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby avros008 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 pm

dafels wrote:the midges are not the problem,
you're the problem
avros008

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:49 pm

Nightdawg wrote:Please leave the movement like this too, it's so much better than what it was earlier. Ortho cam genuinely gives me motion sickness, not the smooth zoom/rotation, but that follow thing.

The thing is that the interpolation of the player character's movement isn't perfect and probably never will be due to slight network jitter, and since the camera follows the character, it can have a tendency to jump around when undersmoothed, and I find that camera jitter to me much more bothersome than a bit of smoothing. With the current settings, I have to say I do find it on the harsh side.
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:50 pm

loftar wrote:The thing is that the interpolation of the player character's movement isn't perfect and probably never will be due to slight network jitter, and since the camera follows the character, it can have a tendency to jump around when undersmoothed, and I find that camera jitter to me much more bothersome than a bit of smoothing. With the current settings, I have to say I do find it on the harsh side.

I suppose I can use :cam worse if you decide to change it then, so it's not that big of a deal. I did notice those jumps you speak of too.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby strpk0 » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:56 pm

loftar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Please leave the movement like this too, it's so much better than what it was earlier. Ortho cam genuinely gives me motion sickness, not the smooth zoom/rotation, but that follow thing.

The thing is that the interpolation of the player character's movement isn't perfect and probably never will be due to slight network jitter, and since the camera follows the character, it can have a tendency to jump around when undersmoothed, and I find that camera jitter to me much more bothersome than a bit of smoothing. With the current settings, I have to say I do find it on the harsh side.

Have you considered a camera mode where the camera isn't permanently locked to the player's position? I remember in legacy (atleast in custom clients) there was a camera mode where you had to manually pan around, and the camera would only snap back to the player when going into houses/caves or teleporting in general. In hindsight, perhaps a bit aesthetically ugly and manual labor to have to manually pan around, but it did give some nice amount of control to how you want to view the scene. I'm not sure how well this would work now that 3D is a thing, but it would potentially address the harshness of the character's position jittering, or at the very least could serve as a basis for a more aesthetically pleasing camera mode.

Here a video for reference: https://youtu.be/f5-8M17cr-s?t=788
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby loftar » Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:09 pm

strpk0 wrote:Have you considered a camera mode where the camera isn't permanently locked to the player's position? I remember in legacy (atleast in custom clients) there was a camera mode where you had to manually pan around, and the camera would only snap back to the player when going into houses/caves or teleporting in general. In hindsight, perhaps a bit aesthetically ugly and manual labor to have to manually pan around, but it did give some nice amount of control to how you want to view the scene.

I've considered that very strongly. I liked that a lot myself and missed it quite a bit when going to 3D, especially because it means you can have the camera slightly in advance of the character when walking around, but the main problem is that in Legacy, the whole mouse-wheel-drag mode was available for panning the camera, whereas it is now used for rotating the camera, and can't really imagine getting both of those working in some unobtrusive way (like, sure, you could use shift+mouse-drag or something, but I do think that is a bit too cumbersome to be practical).
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements