Game Development: Mushroom Circle

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mushroom Circle

Postby shubla » Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:55 am

jorb wrote:We made several patches to that effect last year. Feel entirely free to suggest particular improvements.

A few popular ones that many absolutely want, some of there are quite trivial to implement so I'd like to hear your reasoning of why not to do them.

More quickbars visible, like 3 or so. Like F1-F12 keys could be an one and so on.

Study window should have additional information such as LP/H. Very popular metric for anyone who is playing more even a bit more seriously.

Now that you have shown your love to the bad cam and updated it a bit, you could also add various environment dependent skyboxes.

Often you want to craft certain same items in a short interval, such as first craft glass, then marbles, then more glass and then marbles. Helpful UI for this would be crafting history, displaying recently selected crafted items in the crafting menu. Like on top of it you could have horizontal list with mini-icon of the item etc.

Switching tools happens often, thus having your both hand slots and toolbelt visible all the time by default when you log in would be nice.

Equipory menu should display sum all stat gains given by your equipment and gildings, because then you could easily compare sets with a glance. There could be button which expands the equipory menu for these to be visible, but hidden by default so the menu would look as it is now. Would be helpful to also show total AC of your character.

Studytable should have some additional UI which would help you to determine which of the curios in it are going to run out soon, so you could make more of those.

Automatically selectable flower menu options, these could work so that when you see flower menu options, your list with checkboxes would grow, then you could check the boxes on each one that you want to automatically open.
There are many things where people would like the menu option to be automatically selected, such as splitting blocks and picking herbs. Could also re-order things on list to determine priorities, if multiple options exist.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Ag_Revol » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:53 am

shubla wrote:
jorb wrote:We made several patches to that effect last year. Feel entirely free to suggest particular improvements.

A few popular ones that many absolutely want, some of there are quite trivial to implement so I'd like to hear your reasoning of why not to do them.

More quickbars visible, like 3 or so. Like F1-F12 keys could be an one and so on.

Study window should have additional information such as LP/H. Very popular metric for anyone who is playing more even a bit more seriously.

Now that you have shown your love to the bad cam and updated it a bit, you could also add various environment dependent skyboxes.

Often you want to craft certain same items in a short interval, such as first craft glass, then marbles, then more glass and then marbles. Helpful UI for this would be crafting history, displaying recently selected crafted items in the crafting menu. Like on top of it you could have horizontal list with mini-icon of the item etc.

Switching tools happens often, thus having your both hand slots and toolbelt visible all the time by default when you log in would be nice.

Equipory menu should display sum all stat gains given by your equipment and gildings, because then you could easily compare sets with a glance. There could be button which expands the equipory menu for these to be visible, but hidden by default so the menu would look as it is now. Would be helpful to also show total AC of your character.

Studytable should have some additional UI which would help you to determine which of the curios in it are going to run out soon, so you could make more of those.

Automatically selectable flower menu options, these could work so that when you see flower menu options, your list with checkboxes would grow, then you could check the boxes on each one that you want to automatically open.
There are many things where people would like the menu option to be automatically selected, such as splitting blocks and picking herbs. Could also re-order things on list to determine priorities, if multiple options exist.

Drinking hotkey please
Make Kebabs Great Again!
W6-8 - Hermit
W9 - Amish Paradise
W10 - Amish Paradise then Hermit
W11 - A.D.
W12 - Lawspeaker of Avalon
W13 - Konung of Norsca
W14 - Konung of Norsca
Ag_Revol

Postby Sekhet » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:53 am

Audiosmurf wrote:It's never been perc*surv, it's perc*exploration, which almost certainly hasn't changed.

Ah, then it was dumb af, thanks for a word
Sekhet

Postby Fostik » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:56 am

stickman wrote:you seriously need to think about spending a few weeks implementing alot of quality of life improvements the other clients have. I know you guys have your specific style but when i load the default client to get something done right after an update its a huge shock

Spending time on it is just pointless, it's same as asking devs to fill wiki with their internal information.
Devs should only decide whether client will be public or not, and also made it so that custom client will not breaks on any client change, so people will not lost their developments.
Devs will never provide you client tweaks, that overcoming some game mechanics, any custom client will always be better and more convenient for players.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:14 am

RE quickbars:
basically everybody uses 1-5 for combat making the default bar kinda worthless at best, and a bad habit generator at worst. Plus, who's really pressing 6/7/8/9/0/f10 etc? Keep in mind you really don't need to see most things you've bound in this game. There's no cooldown or condition attached to dig you might want to glance at its hotkey before pressing dig. It's just dig. With that in mind, most of the keybinds even being visible seems like a big waste of screen realestate. This is especially true for waterskins, of which you may have 20+ bound and visible on your screen, since most MMO players < 30 years old probably don't know about switching hotbars xd

I'm not sure how much of this is just personal preference, but the solution for me at least is going to be removing the actionbar entirely and using the base client's adventure menu keybinding function for everything. Instead of pressing AD to dig, it'll get bound to shift+d or something and be placed in the first window of the adventure menu. Same for everything else I would regularly want to press, including some misc scripts for opening gates/getting into knarrs with widget prediction, drinking, etc.

I would like to add that attaching anything to the belt being open seems like an objectively bad decision. The only reason most players regularly have the belt open is because of the yucky way drinking keybinds are implemented in most custom clients. It really seems like ideally your belt would never be opened unless you're actually doing something with it. It's such a waste of space currently.

RE flower menus:
I guess this is only an overlap with what shubla is talking about, and there are cases where you'd specifically want one menu to always be chosen, but... I think a more common similar use case is just wanting to skip the flower menu when doing something due to it being kinda(((extremely))) slow. I really think holding 1 when you rclick something, or 1+modifier+rclick should directly send a request to do whatever the first flower menu item would've been.

I feel like a large part of why this hasn't been done, or why flower menus aren't entirely client side is to avoid some abusive edge cases? but keep in mind it's entirely possible to do this client side by predicting the widget id for the flower menu

RE drink keybind:
You guys haven't said anything about this, in spite of it being the obviously(?) most requested client feature for default. Is the implementation for it non-trivial, or are you guys against it for some reason?

P.S:
It's kinda hard to click critters on the minimap that are nearby other players. I don't know if this is just because the icon shapes are different to the ones we used to use, or if something is mechanically different about your map - but opening a flower menu for somebody you're trying to chase instead of chasing the same bunny as them is the big gay

P.P.S:
AT LEAST target closest is absolutely required for combat as far as I'm concerned, and kinda aggro closest too

P.P.P.S:
The combat UI SHOULD NOT be anchored to the player character, and the icons to display openings should be almost solid colors (((with numbers))). Default combat UI gives me more motion sickness than some VR games

P.P.P.P.S:
Cliffs are fricken INVISIBLE on vanilla
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Pickard » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:38 am

I don't know guys how you are using official client. I've just tried it (after Amber). It's awful. It's so bad in so many ways.

Im really shocked.
w15 Trust me bro w14 Arcanum w13 Arcanum w12 Action w11 Willowroot w10 Dis w9 Hive w8 Core w7 H.A.W.X/Progress w6 Dis/Disneyland w5 Peace/Late Project
Pickard

Postby shubla » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:13 pm

Pickard wrote:I don't know guys how you are using official client. I've just tried it (after Amber). It's awful. It's so bad in so many ways.

Im really shocked.

Provide some good improvement ideas instead of just pointing out how bad it is!
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Godganesh » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:42 pm

until now in the credo you can find quests that do not correspond to the times of the year
I really hope that by the beginning of the 13th world you will fix this
Godganesh

Postby iamahh » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:43 pm

snail ruined the world with it's huge troll realm, now it's trying to ruin the default client... let's hope it fails
Last edited by iamahh on Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamahh

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:49 pm

should've made ur own realm if u didn't want to live in mine :^)
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements