Game Development: Mushroom Circle

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Mushroom Circle

Postby stickman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:39 pm

shubla wrote:
1. free-floating scaleable minimap you can drag around. i think most people keep it top right?

Already exists. Have you tried the default client recently?

so im obviosuly using it because i dont have a working custom client right now... i see an minimap in the bottom left corner which is so small its unusable... i do not see any option to move, drag or resize it... if it open up the map with the markers on it i can switch it to compact mode. which is somewhat like a custom minimap but not really as its missing all the options. also if you switch to compact and then put it in the right corner and then take compact off everythings off the screen and you have to fumble with it all the time.

IMO the bottom left minimap should be turfed. the Compact mode map should be the default minimap in the top right corner. and should contain the icons settings, grid overlay etc. it should then have a button u press to get into the NON-compact mode of the map that would appear in its own window where you can add all your markers etc. this would make it similar to the custom clients.

shubla wrote:
3. a big one for me is all clients have multiple Alteranate way of sorting, quick sorting, grabbing all items of a similar type using the shift, alt, cntrl keys in conjuction with the left and mouse clicks. Whenever im forced to use default and have to do daily chores (which is mostly moving crap around) it takes me 2-3 times longer. This game is so demanding that because i dont bot.. i have to manually check my cheese and sort my chickens 2x a day or else they overfill so if sorting/moving crap takes longer it cuts into my time before I have to leave/start work in the morning that I have to do things.

I think this too exists in the default client already?

if it exists i haven't figured them out. ive tried used a few different clients and none of key combos do anything so it must be some combo im not familiar with
stickman

Postby MightySheep » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:44 pm

we still doin this world 12 shit? thats weak
MightySheep

Postby wonder-ass » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:34 am

This secrecy is killing your game more and more, can u guys for once just be transparent and say "there wont be a wipe anytime soon this year" or "wipe is relatively soon". By not doing so you are killing your player count until the inevitable wipe that everyone is anticipating for the coming months that might not even exist.
For this reason alone a bunch of people have quit, and i bet a decent amount of people would like to play again but dont want to waste time on a world that could get wiped in a month.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Sevenless » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:52 am

wonder-ass wrote:This secrecy is killing your game more and more, can u guys for once just be transparent and say "there wont be a wipe anytime soon this year" or "wipe is relatively soon". By not doing so you are killing your player count until the inevitable wipe that everyone is anticipating for the coming months that might not even exist.
For this reason alone a bunch of people have quit, and i bet a decent amount of people would like to play again but dont want to waste time on a world that could get wiped in a month.

Been around for a couple worlds now, this always comes up. Any official hint of a wipe immediately nukes the population. But at the same time previous worlds didn't lose as much player count over endgame burnout.

I'm curious what's different.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby loftar » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:01 am

stickman wrote:The other issue is getting the default client to launch in the first place is not easy either (especially for computer illiterate people). For me, using chrome... first it gives me a warning saying your download is unsafe... then it wants to download autohaven.jar.... then nothing happens... you have to select open/run or you have to find it in your downloads folder. if you take too long it fails.... if you try to open a second window up you get errors like this:

java.lang.RuntimeException: haven.launcher.Cache$FileReplaceException: could not replace out-of-date file with newly downloaded file
at haven.launcher.Driver.execute(Driver.java:72)
at haven.launcher.Driver.run(Driver.java:89)
at haven.launcher.Driver.main(Driver.java:147)
Caused by: haven.launcher.Cache$FileReplaceException: could not replace out-of-date file with newly downloaded file
at haven.launcher.Cache.update0(Cache.java:263)
at haven.launcher.Cache.update(Cache.java:277)
at haven.launcher.Resource.update(Resource.java:64)
at haven.launcher.Driver.execute(Driver.java:47)

If you're having problems with the launcher, you should definitely start a bug-report thread about that, because I haven't been aware of any.

The exception you quote, however, is related to Windows not being able to replace files while they're in use, so the launcher can't update the files while a client is currently running. If custom client updaters have a way to work around that, I'd sure like to know what that is. That being said, I guess the launcher could try to recognize this problem specifically and give a less cryptic message about it. (The problem is just that there isn't really a way to distinguish that problem from other potential I/O errors that would cause the update to fail.)

EDIT: Actually, looking at it, the launcher should already be giving a more friendly message about it; it should be saying something like "Could not replace out-of-date file with newly downloaded file. If the program is currently running, please quit it and try again." Do you find that it doesn't?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby iamahh » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:17 am

stickman wrote: i see an minimap in the bottom left corner which is so small its unusable... i do not see any option to move, drag or resize it...

click the red arrow to toggle 3 different states

I setup like this:

the advantage is I can resize the game and keep usable, and it's easier to expand minimap and use flags
iamahh

Postby shubla » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:36 am

Sevenless wrote:
wonder-ass wrote:This secrecy is killing your game more and more, can u guys for once just be transparent and say "there wont be a wipe anytime soon this year" or "wipe is relatively soon". By not doing so you are killing your player count until the inevitable wipe that everyone is anticipating for the coming months that might not even exist.

Been around for a couple worlds now, this always comes up. Any official hint of a wipe immediately nukes the population. But at the same time previous worlds didn't lose as much player count over endgame burnout.

I'm curious what's different.

Yeah maybe they could experiment for a few worlds to see what happens if they announce next wipe date A LONG beforehand (like months, years). So far they have only been thinking that it would negatively affect playercount, but in reality, who knows, its just speculation?
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby stickman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:43 am

So these are the prompts im complaining about loftar

haven_prompts.png
haven_prompts.png (127.2 KiB) Viewed 344 times

This I think is bad design. I think you need a standalone client you can download instead of download some jar file everytime that chrome says is harmfull. If i was a brand new person I might not download your file because chome is telling me it might be a virus.

The errors launching 2 clients seem to be just me from checking with people i guess so you can ignore me and i will figure that out on my end.

When i click the arrow on the small minimap, it first gets rid of the icons.. then it shrinks the minimap and leaves a big hole where the minimap use to be. I guess im just use to being able to drag everything around where i want them.

so here is 2 examples where amber was helping me do less clicks:
Moving cheese around:
1. I go to my curdling tub... i want to move all the curds into my inventory. in amber i would like hold alt and then click on a curd and it would transfer them all into my inventory. in default i have to scroll them all into my inventory
2. i then want to take curds ive saved up in a cupboard into trays... so i open the cupboard ... but the cupboard has cheese in it as well. so if i scroll wheel i will get cheese in my inventory instead of curds... so i have to shift click each one so that i only get curds.
3. putting them into trays is the same
4. putting them on the racks. normally i would alt click them onto the racks... now i scroll wheel

doing my chickens...
1. i normally go around to each coop and alt click on one of the chicks. i then shift click the low q eggs.... in default i dont see a way to get all the chicks at once
2. i go over to some cabinets and alt left click an egg to transfer all the eggs i picked into the cabinet.
3. then i go to my other coops where i let chickens grow up and scroll wheel a few chicks into each coop.
4. then a alt left click the chickens and the cocks so they all go into my inventory.
5. i then swap the better chickens/cocks into my coops
6. then with the inferior chickens and cocks i right click on each of them, first right click plucks. 2nd cleans, 3rd butchers etc. in default client i need to right click, then select pluck, then right click again and select clean. this is 2x as many clicks for me. And you might laugh at that but i have wrist problems and I really start noticing it when i have to do alot of tasks in haven. then i sort the bones from the wishbones.. i go to a bone stack and alt click my wishbone and it moves all the wishbones over leaving only bones which i put in other stacks.

if someone could explain the proper way to do this in default i would appreciate
stickman

Postby DDDsDD999 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:14 am

stickman wrote:if someone could explain the proper way to do this in default i would appreciate

Transfer all is ctrl + shift + lclick. Don't ask why the hotkey is fucked, it's probably some stupid reason, I've complained about it a bunch.
DDDsDD999

Postby MagicManICT » Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:31 am

stickman wrote:everytime that chrome says is harmfull.

I can send you a virus package that Chrome will say is all right. Chrome has done what Microsoft did around 15 years ago and ended up pissing most of their loyal customers off, and effectively made it easier to move viruses between systems.

Learn a bit more about it and quit crying to indie devs about what security protocols they do and don't use. If you don't like the pop-ups, quit using Chrome. It's more harmful to your system (and life) than Java is.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements