Game Development: Seaworthy Movement

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Seaworthy Movement

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:49 pm

captainmorgan wrote:Can you make it so we can add commands via run time arguments so we don't have to type :command for every command every time we open the game?

What commands is it that you need to type in every time you open the game?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby strpk0 » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:50 pm

jorb wrote:
strpk0 wrote:The slight red hue that gets applied to damaged boats is (depending on the material of the boat) kind of hard to see.

Would be kind of funny if there was a trail of black smoke after them when damaged.

Only if they also explode when they finally break. :)
Last edited by strpk0 on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby shubla » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:51 pm

jorb wrote:
strpk0 wrote:The slight red hue that gets applied to damaged boats is (depending on the material of the boat) kind of hard to see.

Would be kind of funny if there was a trail of black smoke after them when damaged.

Or bits and pieces of wood coming off and floating.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:52 pm

loftar wrote:
captainmorgan wrote:Can you make it so we can add commands via run time arguments so we don't have to type :command for every command every time we open the game?

What commands is it that you need to type in every time you open the game?

I don't know about others, but I tend to use the audiobuf command a lot due to stuttering audio.
TheRussianB

Postby KingMav » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:53 pm

Store Description wrote:Image$9 Recalling untimely death, and smelling of gunsmoke from some forsaken corral.

The "Tombstone Stetson" is the coolest hat ever created. Insta-buy!

Also, nice patch. Love the shft+ctl+rclk option.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
KingMav

Postby loftar » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:54 pm

TheRussianB wrote:I don't know about others, but I tend to use the audiobuf command a lot due to stuttering audio.

Right, that's a somewhat tricky one. I mean, it could certainly be saved, but I recently outlined the reasons why I don't:

loftar wrote:
Schattengaenger wrote:The audibuf 8192 command helped but it is kind of strange still, since i never experienced it anywhere else (meaning past vanilla clients and cutsom clients)
Edit: also would it be possible to make the client save this setting? It is abit tedious to always have to type it in again when you start the client.

The reason the audiobuf setting isn't saved is because I still consider it an ugly fix. The problem with increasing the audio buffer size is that it also increases the latency between the point a sound should start playing and the point it actually does. I'd really like to fix this for real instead since I really don't think that such large buffer sizes should be necessary, but it has been difficult to find the root cause of the problem. It could be that it would help if I used an external audio library instead of Java's built-in audio functionality, but I haven't found a good one to test. (There is OpenAL that is part of the greater JOGL project, but that is something much more complex than just an audio playing library, so I don't think it's a good fit).
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Ciego » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:57 pm

Ciego wrote:- What I do to make it work
HISTORICAL INFORMATION, MAY NO LONGER BE VALID - (Re: Default Client, "making do" for ex-custom-client-users)

To take ALL the items from a stack, cabinet, crate, drying frame, tanning tub, smelter, etc:
shft+alt+rclk on stack or container.
However, shft+alt+rclk and shft+alt+lclk now seem to function as they did historically, xferring specific items to/from cabinet.

To create a stack:
lclk on a stackable item, rt-click (on PAVEMENT if it is a plantable veggie), then shift+alt+lclk drops all items applicable to that type of stack.

To drop ALL of the SAME items from inventory onto the ground/water:
ctl+alt+rclk on an item in inventory

Each seed-pile in inventory seems to need put into a barrel individually, neither shft+alt, nor shft+ctl seems to work. (Using ENDER client)
Same for putting coal into a furnace, such as ore smelter, holding shift keeps a coal in your hand, but these must be added individually.

HISTORICAL INFORMATION, MAY NO LONGER BE VALID

loftar wrote:
Kirche wrote:this doesn't seem to actually work?

You need a properly updated client, as old clients would interpret any Ctrl-click combination as clicking through to the map without the Ctrl, so on such a client that would be the same as simply shift-clicking the object in questions. The latest client only clicks through a held item if only Ctrl is held, so that Ctrl+Shift properly counts as clicking with the held item and with Ctrl.
Last edited by Ciego on Mon Mar 01, 2021 12:33 am, edited 6 times in total.
Ciego

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 pm

loftar wrote:
TheRussianB wrote:I don't know about others, but I tend to use the audiobuf command a lot due to stuttering audio.

Right, that's a somewhat tricky one. I mean, it could certainly be saved, but I recently outlined the reasons why I don't:

Right, that's understandable. Is there any information I can provide to you about my system that might help you track down the issue?
TheRussianB

Postby KingMav » Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:58 pm

I don't know about others, but I tend to use the audiobuf command a lot due to stuttering audio.

What is this exact command? I always forget it.
It's easier to ask for forgiveness rather than permission.
KingMav

Postby TheRussianB » Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:02 pm

KingMav wrote:

What is this exact command? I always forget it.

Code: Select all
:audiobuf 8192

This is what I usually use. I won't claim to know exactly what it does, but it fixes the stuttering audio issue I have with the default and Ender client.
TheRussianB

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements