Game Development: Ghost Apple Gelatin

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ghost Apple Gelatin

Postby loftar » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:00 pm

Rebs wrote:The Q of these boulders don't get soft capped by the tool FYI

Right you are. I was looking specifically for how ore was soft-capped when I added that but didn't find anything, so while it seemed strange, I didn't think a whole lot more about it and assumed that ore wasn't soft-capped, contrary to my memory. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place.

I would hope this is not a huge issue, as I suspect that top ore quality is probably not being limited by the tool anyway. It does kind of raise the question of whether the boulders should be softcapped when mined out, or if it is perhaps the rocks chipped from them that should be softcapped when chipping, though. It does perhaps not necessarily suck if a higher-q boulder could be saved for later chipping when tool quality has been improved. I'm slightly unsure.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:17 pm

loftar wrote:I would hope this is not a huge issue, as I suspect that top ore quality is probably not being limited by the tool anyway.

a year into the world tool quality still softcaps non topQ ore.

That's actually a real use case for escalating boulders, potentially. There have been a lot of times we have mined something we waned to save before raising our toolQ to softcap it less because we were concerned other people would gain access to our tunnels and mine it themselves. Could also make trading higher quality ore reasonable for the plebs(not rly 'cause they won't have l9 xd), since it wouldn't be softcapped by their tools.

If you could intentionally choose to make boulders instead of mining regularly, instead of it being a random annoyance, it would be a way to secure your ore without ruining it while waiting to upgrade your tools.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Rebs » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:01 pm

loftar wrote:

Right you are. I was looking specifically for how ore was soft-capped when I added that but didn't find anything, so while it seemed strange, I didn't think a whole lot more about it and assumed that ore wasn't soft-capped, contrary to my memory. Turns out I was looking in the wrong place.

I would hope this is not a huge issue, as I suspect that top ore quality is probably not being limited by the tool anyway. It does kind of raise the question of whether the boulders should be softcapped when mined out, or if it is perhaps the rocks chipped from them that should be soft capped when chipping, though. It does perhaps not necessarily suck if a higher-q boulder could be saved for later chipping when tool quality has been improved. I'm slightly unsure.

Well, the early world without soft capping will allow for a jump in Q without the really need for Masonry or Tool Q. as I have just experienced. My new shiny q50 stone axe XD.

I like the idea of storing Ore until I don't soft cap it, I think this will help the little guys in the long run tbf.
Rebs

Postby loftar » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:14 am

Rebs wrote:Well, the early world without soft capping will allow for a jump in Q without the really need for Masonry or Tool Q. as I have just experienced. My new shiny q50 stone axe XD.

Oh, I plan to fix it, all I was saying is that it doesn't necessarily seem to warrant an immediate hotfix, or that the world is ruined because of it.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Apocoreo » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:17 am

Got this from a 125+ tree
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby mvgulik » Mon Mar 08, 2021 6:53 am

Apocoreo wrote:Image

Got this from a 125+ tree

Funny. I also got a q12 one (next to an apple tree with way higher q)
mvgulik

Postby abt79 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:21 pm

they're clearly a forageable (like mistletoe) and have their own q fields

good to know you guys both have forager credo
abt79

Postby SnuggleSnail » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:04 pm

I haven't tested the boulder mechanic at all, but from what I gather from Loftar's post:

The boulder thing pretty much invalided all clay/metal made prior to this patch. Uncapped stones/ore from boulders are significantly better, and maybe not right now when axes are Q500/600(still noticeably lower than topQ ore), but will usually make any ore that actually gets mined instead of chipped from a boulder kinda worthless. I don't rly think you should undo it this world, because people will have already upgraded their industry by now if they care to do so, and would kinda be at a big advantage because of it.

If you intend to keep toolQ softcapping ore, I think you should change it at some point, though. The notion of mining and dropping all your Q 400 ore on the ground just to cart up Q 700-800 boulders really does seem cancer to me. More cancer than the seemingly very high chance to dig out a boulder you need to remove every 10 seconds for no reason.

I really feel like this is a super good advertisement for why you guys should talk more about what you are developing before or during its development. Even if you guys aren't planning out your development in advance, there are like 10 autistic nerds in discord happy to brainstorm potential abuses, or annoyances associated with anything you're developing at any given time. I bet we could even get Axcus to mute Aleck whenever you're talking about development xd
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby BoxingRock » Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:52 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I bet we could even get Axcus to mute Aleck whenever you're talking about development xd

If the man comes on to actually talk about development and get feedback I don't think that anybody will be a problem, but I think you can agree that there hasn't been an instance where they have gone out of there way to actually ask for feedback and engage in a productive back-and-forth about some certain aspect of game mechanics in a very long time. Jorb himself has "popped in to discord" specifically to argue and shit talk about completely non game related things the last many times he has been actively chatting in there. If you'd like a recent example of the way they discuss development with users even in heavily moderated and safe environment, please see;

jorb wrote:Oh noes, the mining bot needs extra if statements.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby VDZ » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:20 am

BoxingRock wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:I bet we could even get Axcus to mute Aleck whenever you're talking about development xd

If the man comes on to actually talk about development and get feedback I don't think that anybody will be a problem, but I think you can agree that there hasn't been an instance where they have gone out of there way to actually ask for feedback and engage in a productive back-and-forth about some certain aspect of game mechanics in a very long time. Jorb himself has "popped in to discord" specifically to argue and shit talk about completely non game related things the last many times he has been actively chatting in there. If you'd like a recent example of the way they discuss development with users even in heavily moderated and safe environment, please see;

jorb wrote:Oh noes, the mining bot needs extra if statements.

On this very same page, there is

loftar wrote:

I would hope this is not a huge issue, as I suspect that top ore quality is probably not being limited by the tool anyway. It does kind of raise the question of whether the boulders should be softcapped when mined out, or if it is perhaps the rocks chipped from them that should be softcapped when chipping, though. It does perhaps not necessarily suck if a higher-q boulder could be saved for later chipping when tool quality has been improved. I'm slightly unsure.

Compared to the radio silence you get from most developers, I think they're plenty open. In fact, unlike nearly every other developer they're not afraid to make remarks that could rub people the wrong way (for better or worse; from a corporate communication perspective it's the worst thing you could do, but it does let us know what the devs really think).

(Personally I like the 'softcap on chipping' idea, it gives the boulders some inherent value rather than just being an obstacle to dispose of.)
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements