Game Development: Ghost Apple Gelatin

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ghost Apple Gelatin

Postby jorb » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:16 pm

Chill with the flaming, bois.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Apocoreo » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:24 pm

Salem mining sounds like a nightmare compared to current haven tbh. I like setting an area to mine then chilling (no bots).

Bit concerned this might suck when mining a 1 tile passage. Seems a bit backward if this is an attempted solution making the credos less annoying. Wouldn't call it a terrible bad change though.

EDIT: Thanks for the snow and the sling though, I requested the snow a few times and slings make better sense as an early game ranged weapon.
Last edited by Apocoreo on Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
i like game grumps

#1 Moloch acolyte
Apocoreo

Postby abt79 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 pm

loftar wrote:
JohnBolognese wrote:mining would be so much more awesome if it were like back in the good old salem days

I'm curious what makes you say that, more exactly. I've always considered Haven mining to be strictly superior to Salem's mining. Pretty much the only reason we didn't do the same thing in Salem was really just to not make it the exact same as in Haven.

So then...why add this boulder nonsense?

Have you guys even tested how a boulder spawn will interact with troll spawns? (Hint: this seems highly likely to cause trolls to do their special "fuck your shit up with boulders" move)

I'd also highly recommend ignoring any posts from obvious barrel-dwelling forum trolls and their pasta-related totally-not-alts
abt79

Postby VDZ » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:01 am

jorb wrote:
BoxingRock wrote:Like how annoying it would be mining out slimes/worms and boulders at the same time?
having to pick up and put down boulders with big hitboxes in tiny corridors in a panicky pinch?

They spawn on the tile in front of you. No need to lift them if attaq'd.

Might want to put this in the OP. All previous boulder excavations (from cellar digging and spires) put the boulder immediately into your hands, and my first thought upon reading that was 'fuck no' as I had assumed this behavior would be in line with other boulder excavations, which as pointed out by others would be utterly awful (specifically for non-bots who have a harder time clicking the precise location where it will actually drop the boulder rather than stand there because the boulder doesn't fit).
VDZ

Postby BoxingRock » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:07 am

VDZ wrote:
jorb wrote:
BoxingRock wrote:Like how annoying it would be mining out slimes/worms and boulders at the same time?
having to pick up and put down boulders with big hitboxes in tiny corridors in a panicky pinch?

They spawn on the tile in front of you. No need to lift them if attaq'd.

Might want to put this in the OP. All previous boulder excavations (from cellar digging and spires) put the boulder immediately into your hands, and my first thought upon reading that was 'fuck no' as I had assumed this behavior would be in line with other boulder excavations, which as pointed out by others would be utterly awful (specifically for non-bots who have a harder time clicking the precise location where it will actually drop the boulder rather than stand there because the boulder doesn't fit).

it's still pretty retarded regardless, could have implemented any number of smarter and less intrusive ways to excavate boulders
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby DDDsDD999 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:23 am

Good update, fuck miners, they get what's coming to them. I hope trolls spawn at the same time and instantly murder them because there's a tiny sliver of a boulder blocking their path. Also hope they have to excavate ore boulders now for their millions of mining credos too.
DDDsDD999

Postby jordancoles » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:22 am

Added a small chance, when mining, to excavate a boulder of the same type as the tile you are mining from.

Is this a small, liftable boulder that will appear lifted over your character's head? Or will it be a full-sized boulder than falls somewhere nearby?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Sat Mar 06, 2021 2:39 am

My thoughts are if they did this as a way to combat bots, alright I guess, but if the intention was to give us a better way to get boulders of a specific type for credos, then might I suggest an Adventure > Chip Boulder option which would remove the tile in exchange for a boulder instead?
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby zebad » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:19 am

Having now mined ~1K tiles since this update, I would like to say that it is indeed annoying to have boulders drop. However, having a boulder drop on a high q tile that you reeeeeallly want kinda makes up for the pain in the ass
zebad

Postby Phaen » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:23 am

Does this mean there's ore boulders too? I've never seen a boulder made of ore

Edit: except cinnabar
Phaen

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements