Prelude: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 13

Postby Sevenless » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:12 am

shubla wrote:I knew it.

I think that it would be a great occasion for founding the official HnH discord server, already have twitter, even facebook. Moderated by forum mods or such.

I second this motion. Discord has fragmented the community in part because there's nothing official so people tend to split up into kingdom/village based ones. And while that's neat, and will happen anyway, I feel having the only official source of communications being a near dead forum that most players don't use isn't a good approach.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby BoxingRock » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:18 am

Sevenless wrote:
shubla wrote:I knew it.

I think that it would be a great occasion for founding the official HnH discord server, already have twitter, even facebook. Moderated by forum mods or such.

I second this motion. Discord has fragmented the community in part because there's nothing official so people tend to split up into kingdom/village based ones. And while that's neat, and will happen anyway, I feel having the only official source of communications being a near dead forum that most players don't use isn't a good approach.

It's never going to happen, they are both semi active in the official unofficial discord right now, and moderating this forum with 1/100th of the active posters has proven to be hard enough

discord population is fragmented on purpose so people have private spaces to talk about their village matters, and the main discord is where people can basically just goof off

it's been this way for 10 years, before discord people did the exact same thing on Skype and Irc, which also had massive unofficial official communities and separate fragmented private ones
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby shubla » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:36 am

Sevenless wrote:

I don't think that discord as a communication medium between devs and players is too useful. Devs could send announcements about things easily and very occasionally discuss about things. But discussions turn very quickly into just people spamming something about 10 different things at once and its hard to keep track of that. I guess discord has the capability to limit message rate of channels which may make it more useful but I'm still not sure that it would provide as good separation of topics as these forums do.

The odd thing is as I said that the game has even twitter account but not a discord server, even though that is what most people these days use!

If I had to guess, they fear the burden of moderating it, but its not so difficult. Discord has good moderation tools. Other games also have large successful discord servers so its not an impossible task.
Would like to hear their argument against doing it, as its quite small effort after all when you think of how much it can improve the community.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby springyb » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:41 am

Oh heck yeah. I'm glad you guys used FB to announce it too or otherwise I'd have missed it again.
springyb

Postby Tpukco » Mon Mar 22, 2021 2:59 am

I was monitoring forum for weeks to see THIS VERY THREAD. Hell yeah! :'D
Tpukco

Postby Kamekono » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:22 am

BoxingRock wrote:Please consider the archipelago approach to W13 map generation

I think the continents should be much more similar to a Indonesian type of ocean land mass

similar sized continents to W12 but with the dead ocean space littered with tiny islands

much of the ocean between these islands is coral reef, kelp forests and areas that are generally very alive with flora and fauna
these can be new ocean biomes with tons of fish nodes and floaty foragables like new seaweeds, birds, corals, coconuts and more

tiny islands can be sandy or filled with mossy rocks and fun marshy vegetation

I'm sure a couple new little biomes could be whipped up in 2 weeks and a change like this would be very worth the trouble, making ocean boating much less boring and much more rewarding, boating over reefs and shit could still even do damage ticks to your boat but there would be more places to land and more things to see on the journey

Yes pleaaaaase!
Even without all the extra stuff, I'd love to see a world with few large landmasses and a ton of smaller islands... for all of us hermits and small groups that want to have a quiet little place...
Kamekono

Postby Sevenless » Mon Mar 22, 2021 3:47 am

Arcapellago stuff existed in the south end of W12 actually, no one lived there because of how bad their access to different biomes was iirc.

About discord: I get what you mean, but there definitely needs to be some direction for new people to link up with the help community imo. People don't think to look to forums anymore :/
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Stoneface » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:41 am

Thanks Shubla, that is still my favorite HnH video of all time. The song that plays when you spot the coracle guy is so friggin perfect. Looking forward to new world shenanigans. :mrgreen:
Stoneface

Postby Ysh » Mon Mar 22, 2021 4:42 am

Sevenless wrote:About discord: I get what you mean, but there definitely needs to be some direction for new people to link up with the help community imo. People don't think to look to forums anymore :/

A man who never learns to eat will starve.
Kaios wrote:Spice Girls are integral to understanding Ysh's thought process when communicating, duly noted.

I have become victory of very nice Jordan Coles Contest! Enjoy my winning submit here if it pleasures you.
Ysh

Postby tripp » Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:05 am

in the livestream, jorb looked like he did in this video, which makes me want to marry him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwyglmi0kWo

my male ovaries are quivering
tripp

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements