Prelude: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Prelude: World 13

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:57 pm

Honestly I've been against gardening since it first came out, especially since the bluebell became gardenable. Yeah, I generally hate what it did with foraging but lets be honest. Foraging has been dying as an anything but early world activity for a long time now. It's just been power creeped by other systems. I guess the question is whether or not foraging is even salvageable (as a mid/late game activity) at this point, or if it's just nostalgia factor for the old blood and the newer breed of players prefer indoor domesticated play.

I definitely think we need to look into things that somehow play with mid/late game industry, like ant farms.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Audiosmurf » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:04 pm

Gardening pots just need something to make them distinct and then they're good. Let them grow some basic mostly outclassed foragables (blueberries, chants, etc,) the sorta-rare herbs, and give them some stuff that can only be acquired from planting in pots. Garlic or fancy flowers or special herbs/spices.

Otherwise, I maintain my line from the other thread, if the capability to produce low-tier ingredients like blueberries/chants is removed, it largely means people just won't use them because of better options, they won't just magically become trade goods again.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby Temessis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:38 pm

Sevenless wrote:Honestly I've been against gardening since it first came out, especially since the bluebell became gardenable. Yeah, I generally hate what it did with foraging but lets be honest. Foraging has been dying as an anything but early world activity for a long time now. It's just been power creeped by other systems. I guess the question is whether or not foraging is even salvageable (as a mid/late game activity) at this point, or if it's just nostalgia factor for the old blood and the newer breed of players prefer indoor domesticated play.

I definitely think we need to look into things that somehow play with mid/late game industry, like ant farms.

In my opinion a good game provides different mechanics at different stage. I really like the idea that you can garden the foregables, but it should be replaced by something else - like dungeons etc.. Unlocking the possibility to garden foregables means that you achieved some level, so you do not have to go forage everyday (which is getting boring, unless you like spending more time on repeating tasks - making a "routine") if you want to get some curio. You can somehow automate the process and focus on achieving something else like beating those dungeons. I think that automation is good, look at the real life, a lot of processes are automated so you can focus on anything else and don't waste the time on repeating processes.

For me, in hafen there is a lot to do, in old haven - yea, nostalgic, but all I can see is when you digged up the gold and beaten the bear, there were really nothing else to do other than foraging, hunting and fighting :/
Temessis

Postby Sevenless » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:52 pm

Temessis wrote:. I think that automation is good, look at the real life, a lot of processes are automated so you can focus on anything else and don't waste the time on repeating processes.

Real life is a terrible game, it's why we're here instead :P

Foraging is basically the only mechanic in the game that is completely neutered as the game progresses. It's mandatory in the early game, but unlike many other early game activities like fishing it gets completely squashed later. Mandatory foraging becomes "mandatory" gardening, and frankly there's not many people who actually enjoy gardening compared to the number of people who enjoy foraging (at least so long as it's an option and not forced). Automation wise there's already many mechanics that make you never interested in leaving your walls, do we really need more?

I think we have enough curio diversity now that we can separate gardening from foraging and let them both have their places in end game. I've suggested in the past that gardening bluebells or the like would produce a domesticated variant with a reasonably reduced amount of LP output so that gardening is still good, but fresh foraged products maintain enough of an edge that they're worth getting by people who like foraging.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby Temessis » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:10 pm

But why is it so bad? If you want to go foraging, then go, you don't have to do gardening, you can still collect foragables from the ground instead of pot. I prefer doing gardening than foraging, because I want to do other stuff like mining and I don't want to spend few hours on searching for the bluebell - and occasionally die, because I took that bluebell first and then met some gang. Nothing keeps you indoor, but for those who likes cozy homes, why you want to force them to go outside
Temessis

Postby Hesufo » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:26 pm

Temessis wrote:But why is it so bad? If you want to go foraging, then go, you don't have to do gardening, you can still collect foragables from the ground instead of pot. I prefer doing gardening than foraging, because I want to do other stuff like mining and I don't want to spend few hours on searching for the bluebell - and occasionally die, because I took that bluebell first and then met some gang. Nothing keeps you indoor, but for those who likes cozy homes, why you want to force them to go outside

"Nothing keeps you indoor". You just mentioned the possibility of dying occassionally. That seems to be like a decent incentive. Also, what is being suggested is a rebalance to make foraging equally as viable as gardening, not to make gardening useless and "force" anyone to go outside. You trade quality for safety.

If anything, right now people are forced to be inside. Risk of dying AND shittier resources? Yeah, "nothing keeps you indoor" my ass.
Hesufo

Postby sirrah11 » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:45 pm

ok this is a dumb question so when will the game launch then ? first i see friday now my friend told me its delayed?
sirrah11

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:48 pm

Sevenless wrote:I've suggested in the past that gardening bluebells or the like would produce a domesticated variant with a reasonably reduced amount of LP output so that gardening is still good, but fresh foraged products maintain enough of an edge that they're worth getting by people who like foraging.

It doesn't even have to be worse, does it? As long as it's a distinct item, you can study both at the same time, giving value to foraged bluebells.
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:49 pm

sirrah11 wrote:ok this is a dumb question so when will the game launch then ? first i see friday now my friend told me its delayed?

Unless I missed something, it's still planned to launch in 27 hours and 10 minutes.
VDZ

Postby DreadKatak » Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:22 pm

sirrah11 wrote:ok this is a dumb question so when will the game launch then ? first i see friday now my friend told me its delayed?

Your friend played an April Fools joke on you.
DreadKatak

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements