Game Development: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 13

Postby wonder-ass » Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:37 pm

I
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Massa » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:11 am

kris_hole wrote:
jorb wrote:
shubla wrote:Lazy fucks.
W13 was ready months ago they said, still no patches and now when W13 is out, still no patches? Is my money not enough for them?

Shubla gets curfew.

Should just ban him tbh, guy is too toxic.

ban this guy instead
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby mvgulik » Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:17 am

Meh ... whatever.
mvgulik

Postby ZantetsukenX » Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:01 am

Is it time for a new world yet? I'm inbetween games and feeling the itch for playing a fresh new world in HnH.
ZantetsukenX

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:54 am

ZantetsukenX wrote:Is it time for a new world yet?

apparently not, as we can see
MadNomad

Postby LtTurtleshot » Fri Apr 22, 2022 5:52 pm

ZantetsukenX wrote:Is it time for a new world yet? I'm inbetween games and feeling the itch for playing a fresh new world in HnH.

Why do you want to erase the progress of everyone? You can start from scratch in this world if you so desire.
LtTurtleshot

Postby DonVelD » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:07 pm

LtTurtleshot wrote:
Why do you want to erase the progress of everyone? You can start from scratch in this world if you so desire.

A large part of the community, myself included, enjoy the early world shenanigans, the raise of quality (which is basically nonexistent at this point), and the fresh world feeling. The game basically needs the resets, at least in order to be more enjoyable for everyone.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby MadNomad » Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:47 pm

DonVelD wrote:The game basically needs the resets, at least in order to be more enjoyable for everyone.

this is an extreme, each person has their own ideals, and this exact thing you posted here is not universal

LtTurtleshot wrote:You can start from scratch in this world if you so desire.

indeed!
MadNomad

Postby VDZ » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:39 pm

MadNomad wrote:
LtTurtleshot wrote:You can start from scratch in this world if you so desire.

indeed!

I'm just going to quote my earlier post on this matter:
VDZ wrote:I very rarely finish games of Civilization, and despite 336 hours in Terraria I've never fought the final boss. This does not make them bad games. In fact, I have 815 hours in Civ V and even now I occasionally start a new game and play through the early game again...only to quit again in the mid- or late game. In games where you develop your character and/or infrastructure, the fun is in the part where you are mainly focused on developing those aspects. At some point progression slows down or stalls and the game becomes a lot less interesting. Haven is no different; as pointed out by GamingRAM earlier in this thread, throughout the early game your options keep expanding and every development feels meaningful. However, at some point I'm just repeating the same motions over and over again to see my carrots go from q70 to q73 - a difference which has no real meaning to me, as there is barely a difference between a q50 carrot and a q70 carrot. The longer I continue, the less meaningful progression becomes. And once I notice I'm just going through the motions without actually accomplishing anything, I start playing less and soon enough stop playing entirely. Because what am I going to do after logging in again? Just harvest my carrots again for the umpteenth time?

Surprisingly absent from this thread, but what people usually say to this is: "But you can just create a new character and start over mid-world!" The problem is:
Pommfritz wrote:and also kinda disagree with not getting progress via raiding etc. it obviously depends where you are at. I basically started late and got almost all my progress from raiding other bases/ abndoned places (obviously not so common early world) but I got quite lucky and picked up a lot of good shit and tons of meat that would have taken me months to grow myself.

In Civ or Terraria, when I start anew it's like a world reset. Everything goes back to when I first started. In Haven, starting a new character does not reset the world, and the state of the world taints your character development. Progression speeds up dramatically yet feels less satisfying as it's just a matter of lucking into a good place to loot or a good deal in trade, rather than something you actually worked for. And the worst part: The things you did work for retroactively lose value once you luck into easy upgrades. (I would argue that this is also best argument against making trade too easy: It risks speeding up progression and may reduce the value of normal progression.)
VDZ

Postby Jackwolf » Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 am

In addition to VDZ's reasoning, it can be pretty starkly evident that more folks (notice, not all of course) tend to enjoy the world reset by the fact that there is something akin to 1,800 players online rather than the 80-90 I'm seeing online right now.

Personally I think Yearly resets would be kind of nice, as it gives something of an expected date range of when I need to put in for time off at work so I can binge H&H for another year. Anything sooner would lose the luster and excitement for a lot of folks I'd imagine, and end up a chore for the devs.

A year marker could make for an interesting "finish line" for various groups as well, as well as a soft deadline for Jorb & Loftar to say "Okay we want XYZ done by the next reset". Which I suppose they still sort of have now, but it's more of a squishy malleable sort of deadline :lol:
Beezer12Washingbeard: If poo mechanics were implemented, mercury could cure constipation wounds
magisticus: Most of us avoid making jokes like this because there is always a risk Loftar might think it's a good idea and we all have to re-design our villages for sewerage. -6/29/17
Jackwolf

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements