Game Development: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 13

Postby Kaios » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:23 am

itt snugglesnail for some reason decides to pretend not to be a piece of shit
Kaios

Postby WowGain » Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:23 pm

Kaios wrote:itt snugglesnail for some reason decides to pretend not to be a piece of shit

W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby VDZ » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:03 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Collecting cosmetics/random bullshit

SnuggleSnail wrote:Highscores

On these two subjects, I think Kingdom of Loathing's Display Case feature is highly compatible with Haven. It's very simple: You put an item in it (up to 37 different types) and people can see how many of that item you have in it. People can compete for having the most of any specific random item. You may not have any Troll Helms, but at least you can brag that you have more Old Boots than any other player in the world. Or maybe you're the only player with 781 Ant Soldiers. In Haven you can also compete on quality, so you can pride yourself in having the highest-quality Sprucecap the world has ever seen.

SnuggleSnail wrote:Depends on your standards I guess. I don't consider saying "haha it's me Trollex give party perms pls", or "hey get in my boat" with no context to be a shitty thing to do at all.

Doing so is called 'deception'. The only thing the victim in those cases learns is to not trust Snail. It's common decency to not fuck people over when they put you in such a situation in good faith. You've bragged plenty of times about kills and raids performed through social engineering. You say you're trustworthy under certain conditions, but I sure as hell am not going to navigate the minefield of when you think it's acceptable to be deceptive and when it's not, and I doubt many people are interested in doing so, especially when there's something at stake. If people can't be trusted in one situation, it's safest to assume they just cannot be trusted in general.
VDZ

Postby mulamishne » Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:29 pm

VDZ wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Depends on your standards I guess. I don't consider saying "haha it's me Trollex give party perms pls", or "hey get in my boat" with no context to be a shitty thing to do at all.

Doing so is called 'deception'. The only thing the victim in those cases learns is to not trust Snail. It's common decency to not fuck people over when they put you in such a situation in good faith. You've bragged plenty of times about kills and raids performed through social engineering. You say you're trustworthy under certain conditions, but I sure as hell am not going to navigate the minefield of when you think it's acceptable to be deceptive and when it's not, and I doubt many people are interested in doing so, especially when there's something at stake. If people can't be trusted in one situation, it's safest to assume they just cannot be trusted in general.

I mean, if you encounter Snail in the wilderness, yeah you may be fucked, but I like w12 as an example.

Snail sent out an edict in realm chat if you have visible Snail art around your base, it wont get fucked up.

Anyways, heres the art https://discord.gg/vyMTM5smMp
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby Fostik » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:12 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
World 11 metal spiraling and Community Fair V2. It was trash. Pretty sure metal spiraling isn't the secret sauce

Yeah, agree, unless w11 metal spiraling were changed a bit with credos or something like that, don't remember exactly what happened to it.

But overall I mean any resource sink mechanic would be good, especially if it enforces trade, when everyone can take part in it and game experience as well as level of development determines outcomes.
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Zentetsuken » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:23 pm

VDZ wrote:
jorb wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:2. No real end game.

Can someone point to a game with a good end game?

In Kingdom of Loathing, after finishing the final quest, you get the option to 'ascend' and reincarnate as a new character, resetting all of your stats and temporarily making you lose all of your items, but granting all of your future incarnations a permanent buff. For the first 1000 turns of this new run, you cannot trade with other players and can only access a limited number of your old items. ('Hardcore' challenge runs don't allow you to trade or access old items at all until you finish the final quest again.) With each ascension you make certain choices which provide extra challenge (with extra rewards at the end) or unlock content that can only be accessed on specific runs. This way, they leverage the early game content by making 'starting over' a core part of the game loop.

I have thought about this a lot, and I have to agree.

Jorb and Loftar can learn a LOT from KOL. It's even older than Haven, has obviously way less focus on art, combat and therefore interactions like OCO, and instead goes all in on lore and content.

The feeling of increasing your account in endless loops is incredibly satisfying. Signing in during Christmas to play whatever crazy Christmas content they came up with each year is very fun, there are yearly events, random events, holiday events and more that drop limited time content that include permanent trophies, tattoos, outfits and lots of aesthetic ways to say "I was there". Just like in Haven, your KOL character is not permanent. While you may gain temporary bonuses, items and skills that aid your character, there is an overarching progression that is linked to your account and every character you make and ascend with is just another ledger on your permanent ACCOUNT.

While I don't think that any ascension mechanic would mesh well with Haven and Hearth, I think the idea of adding permanence to an account and having the limited time worlds and characters serve as conduits for improving the ACCOUNT would be amazing.

Give us a fear of missing out, give us temporary content, achievements, and a place on our account, linked to an online page where we can show off achievements.

Number of kills, number of carrots harvested, number of ladybugs studied, let every player use their characters as conduits for growing an ever-evolving, personal, unique autistic trophy cabinet.
Zentetsuken

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:50 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:number of ladybugs studied.

You Sir, you make me sick.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby BoxingRock » Tue Apr 26, 2022 5:57 pm

ZoddAlmighty wrote:

I honestly believe that people would start studying terrible curios and performing ridiculous tasks like foraging or killing stuff they don't need just to raise their show-off numbers for the meme of it.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

Postby DoctorCookie » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:15 pm

BoxingRock wrote:
ZoddAlmighty wrote:

I honestly believe that people would start studying terrible curios and performing ridiculous tasks like foraging or killing stuff they don't need just to raise their show-off numbers for the meme of it.

Why would that matter if it was fun for them? There would certainly always be someone there to poke fun at certain accomplishments.
DoctorCookie

Postby BoxingRock » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:22 pm

DoctorCookie wrote:Why would that matter if it was fun for them? There would certainly always be someone there to poke fun at certain accomplishments.

It wouldn't matter at all, I think it would be hilarious and very fun and I would surely do the same thing. I think it would be fun and interesting for people to be able to share their personal achievements and compete with other hearthlings in silly and obscure categories like this.
"Not to say that we're in any way perfect, but for the most part, what you call "lack of communication" is simply reflective of how we develop." - loftar
BoxingRock

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements