Game Development: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 13

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:02 pm

mulamishne wrote:
Hadehariast wrote: Clay gathering (aka. gold pebble gathering) early in the game.

This isn't a thing.

It definitely is. having a bot dig clay for pebbles can get quite a bit of gold while you're still trying to rush minehole levels early world.
Pills

Postby vatas » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:03 pm

I recently made steel. While "I need to refuel my crucibles" was a neat extra reason to get out of bed, I couldn't help to wish I just had a bot that could handle it.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby DonVelD » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:14 pm

Pills wrote:It definitely is. having a bot dig clay for pebbles can get quite a bit of gold while you're still trying to rush minehole levels early world.

Did you do it? I'm genuinely curious. I played in a faction yet I've never saw it nor heard of such concept. It doesn't sound too useful for me that early tbh.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:15 pm

While I am very pro-bot, and pro-grind (to an extent), I do feel the removal of metal spiralling removed a significant portion of the end game. Having bragging rights over top Q of things plays a big part in driving people to keep going tbh.

Though the topic of end-game content in haven is difficult as most things wouldn't fit within the scheme of the game. A significant part of end-game content ultimately comes down to "social-content" or "social-services" in other games, meaning things you can do with other people. I still think the reason world 10 had such a long healthy population was because of Aurora and Community Fair existing, the social events would see a significant number of people who had otherwise quit the game log in just to hang out. Though, its almost impossible for the devs to really make social content without changing the very definition of the game at its core. In the past few worlds none of the "big groups" have appeared to want to try and do something like CF/Aurora again through whatever reasons, and for the devs to do something would mean creating a safe-zone location specifically for social events, which ofcourse would mean organisation and hosting time. It likely would mean they would need to bring in other people for it to be able to commit to such a feature set.

Even just completely removing the market part and just focusing on the social side that was created, like the maze races, quizes, snowball, shooball etc etc. would require a few community managers to manage.

I think that's the real issue with wanting end-game content in haven is that its either A: Social aspects or B: PvP, the latter of which ultimately drives (most) people away until "next world" when they lose. And the former, nobody in the community can be bothered to do it because of the small group of players that just want to ruin it.
Pills

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:16 pm

DonVelD wrote:
Pills wrote:It definitely is. having a bot dig clay for pebbles can get quite a bit of gold while you're still trying to rush minehole levels early world.

Did you do it? I'm genuinely curious. I played in a faction yet I've never saw it nor heard of such concept. It doesn't sound too useful for me that early tbh.

That's how we got like half of the gold for a realm in W11 without having to bumrush mineholes etc
Pills

Postby DonVelD » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:38 pm

Pills wrote:In the past few worlds none of the "big groups" have appeared to want to try and do something like CF/Aurora again through whatever reasons

I've heard that the reason behind it was the addition of oceans, and later the deletion of charterstones. Also the roads now need travel weariness. Basically all of the travel related inconveniences lead to this.
Pills wrote:I think that's the real issue with wanting end-game content in haven is that its either A: Social aspects or B: PvP, the latter of which ultimately drives (most) people away until "next world" when they lose. And the former, nobody in the community can be bothered to do it because of the small group of players that just want to ruin it.

This world PVP died off especially fast because of the fight related crashes, regardless of who won or not. Btw I think that if people really cared there could be a big market like CF. Even if someone tried to mess with it I think that wouldn't be a problem unless someone messed up something or didn't really care. Also the thought of the upcoming new world drives people off the game, the W10 was especially long compared to other worlds so I assume a lot of people thought it was the last world.

I have to say though, I enjoy the resets.
Pills wrote:That's how we got like half of the gold for a realm in W11 without having to bumrush mineholes etc

Good to know, a bonus way of getting gold I guess lol, I thought it was too rare to be reliable.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby flashshark » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:11 pm

Hello when is world 14
flashshark

Postby Pills » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:29 pm

DonVelD wrote:I've heard that the reason behind it was the addition of oceans, and later the deletion of charterstones. Also the roads now need travel weariness. Basically all of the travel related inconveniences lead to this.

Travel weariness existed in W10 too though? I remember having an alt with 400CHA just to get to CF from the north east of the map. Charter stone removal definitely crippled it for sure but that was only this world right?

DonVelD wrote:This world PVP died off especially fast because of the fight related crashes, regardless of who won or not. Btw I think that if people really cared there could be a big market like CF. Even if someone tried to mess with it I think that wouldn't be a problem unless someone messed up something or didn't really care. Also the thought of the upcoming new world drives people off the game, the W10 was especially long compared to other worlds so I assume a lot of people thought it was the last world.

I have to say though, I enjoy the resets.

I also like resets, I personally don't think its possible to maintain a perpetual world with the current makeup of the game. The first 2 months of a reset are the most fun for me, even though I do usually play for the majority of a wipe. You are probably right about making a big market but like you said "if people really cared". I think a lot of people playing this game have been here a long time and are tired of a lot of the drama. I know that's not true for all of the players, there are definitely those who play the game for the PVP. I used to enjoy the PVP but nowadays i can't really be bothered with it. Largely because other life commitments get in the way of playing the game as hardcore as I did when I was a teenager. idk, I may be completely wrong since this is just from my perspective, but I would imagine a significant portion of the people who would care enough to want to build something like that again are very much aware of the amount of drama that would come with it that they just can't be bothered dealing with anymore. But again, who knows, I could be completely wrong.

DonVelD wrote:Good to know, a bonus way of getting gold I guess lol, I thought it was too rare to be reliable.

Yeah its pretty rare but if you have a bot running 24/7 its often enough to be reliable.
Pills

Postby DonVelD » Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:42 pm

Pills wrote:Travel weariness existed in W10 too though? I remember having an alt with 400CHA just to get to CF from the north east of the map. Charter stone removal definitely crippled it for sure but that was only this world right?

It did, though I explicitly said on roads, not charters. I remember using one when I didn't have enough charisma at least. They've added travel weariness on roads in W11 if I remember correctly. Also yes, deletion of charters was this world but it contributed to the situation with the markets nonetheless. I'd say the oceans were the biggest thing. Good that they added back the charterstones though.

Who knows, maybe W14 will have more trade etc than now. I'd love to see another CF :D
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
DonVelD

Postby VDZ » Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:41 pm

Pills wrote:I think that's the real issue with wanting end-game content in haven is that its either A: Social aspects or B: PvP, the latter of which ultimately drives (most) people away until "next world" when they lose. And the former, nobody in the community can be bothered to do it because of the small group of players that just want to ruin it.

Exhibit A: Bone Mother's Market
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements