Game Development: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 13

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:44 am

I would prefer for the world to be permanent, but the current game design does not allow it. Game has two problems that must be solved before going on to more permanent world.
1. Resources are finite. What will you do when there is no more high Q metal? You cannot will it into existence, there isn't a way how we as players can circumvent this problem. At least not for now.
2. No real end game. You guessed it boys and galls, it's the quality grind. Quality for most things has a cap. Whether its easy to reach it or hard is beside the point. Cap exist.
I believe that because there is no real dependency of stats vs the natural quality that this problem arises. Stats are important to reach the cap, when you reach the cap, putting points in that specific stat loses all meaning.
These are huge issues that the game possesses and as such I cannot see a permanent world being a thing yet.
ZoddAlmighty

Postby jorb » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:23 am

ZoddAlmighty wrote:2. No real end game.

Can someone point to a game with a good end game?
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby jordancoles » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:46 am

jorb wrote:

FFXI is majorly endgame content

It's mainly grinding gear through dungeons/world bosses. The game has like 16 different jobs you can level and swap between so there is always gear to grind out and lots of untradeable gear items that require you to grind rather than trade.

Oldschool runescape has a pretty big end game too. Again though, lots of boss farming and gear grinding.

Expanding on dungeons could be nice for haven. Something you can repeat and complete regularly/daily would be nice. World bosses or forced boss summons could be neat as well. Say you gather materials from various dungeon bosses and combine them to summon a big boss at an alter you either build or travel to. RoB would be a cool spot, but I think it would just be griefed/locked down like meteors.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Vigilance » Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 am

tbh yeah more pve content and a meaningful industry loop would make worlds last much much longer before they go largely stale.
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

Postby MadNomad » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:16 am

faction players should at least one time try to play as hermits and play without bots, and without ass-licking their factionmates for items and then see if they progress past the average sprucecap hermit, Im sure they wouldn't run out of things to do in this case!

currently you can just easily join big faction, lick their ass to get free top quality gear, free high quality curios, and maybe the only thing you would have to do is grind food for your stats which is easy when you only focus on this and ignore the whole rest of the game
Last edited by MadNomad on Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
MadNomad

Postby dageir » Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:20 am

jorb wrote:

EVE online? Kind of a second job though..
dageir

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:05 am

MadNomad wrote:faction players should at least one time try to play as hermits and play without bots, and without ass-licking their factionmates for items and then see if they progress past the average sprucecap hermit, Im sure they wouldn't run out of things to do in this case!

currently you can just easily join big faction, lick their ass to get free top quality gear, free high quality curios, and maybe the only thing you would have to do is grind food for your stats which is easy when you only focus on this and ignore the whole rest of the game

i'm sure almost every faction level player has done this and it's not hard when you know how to do everything as efficiently as possible. even in most factions 90% of the work is done by like a few people and others are just there doing their own thing or helping in much smaller ways. to be fair though i guess you would probably get an extra month of decent gameplay going this route (assuming you have no interest in pvp).
ChildhoodObesity

Postby ZoddAlmighty » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote: even in most factions 90% of the work is done by like a few people

https://dariusforoux.com/prices-law/
ZoddAlmighty

Postby MadNomad » Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:12 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:when you know how to do everything as efficiently as possible.

how do you do everything as efficiently as possible? calculate perfect optimal hearthling paths to click at in your mind having seconds to do so?

the reality is that it is incredibly hard to do everything perfectly efficiently

not only this, you have to spend countless hours every day and still you will end up having tons of things to do, such as farming beetroots(and you have to harvest all other types of crop, gotta harvest 'em all), or killing hundreds of bats per week, 10 mammoths per week, mining tons of silver for your menhirs, sneaking into every localised resource that you need before someone else does it, making 50 bone glue so you can buy q300 sword or pickaxe from the market, getting tons of credos on multiple characters(I thought people complained about credos), finding high quality feldspar, etc.

there are countless numbers of more examples, but I do not know if I have time to write them all! it's as if you didn't play the game!

this is the perspective of average HnH sprucecap, so most of players

dageir wrote:
jorb wrote:
EVE online?

spaceships will not be implemented to hafen, find some good example instead!
MadNomad

Postby LtTurtleshot » Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:56 am

I just play for the gameplay and mechanics honestly. Organizing my base to be more efficient, working on Q here and there, mass producing 1 thing for some time like pepper or strings. I vary my gameplay a lot and mostly work on credos, which is the "hard" progression.

There is no shortage of metal, there is 10 layers of caves, most of it still unexplored. Just so much to do. This is a sandbox, have fun with it.

You can self-challenge to not loot player bases and play this as a "fresh world".
LtTurtleshot

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements