Game Development: World 13

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: World 13

Postby Audiosmurf » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:24 pm

Most cocks eaten :ugeek:
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:37 pm

VDZ wrote:

If any form of deception is 2far4u by your standards no factionbois can be trusted. I don't remember the last time there was a siege where nobody dressed up fresh alts to spook the opposition.

I don't rly care if you see me as a piece of shit or w/e for the tactics I find fun, but I don't rly like it when people who know better would accuse me of going back on trade deals. There is a very clear line in the sand.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:14 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
VDZ wrote:

If any form of deception is 2far4u by your standards no factionbois can be trusted. I don't remember the last time there was a siege where nobody dressed up fresh alts to spook the opposition.

I don't rly care if you see me as a piece of shit or w/e for the tactics I find fun, but I don't rly like it when people who know better would accuse me of going back on trade deals. There is a very clear line in the sand.

To be fair my post wasn't meant to imply you would go back on a trade deal more that it'd be hard to trust you with more of a good faith favor xd
ChildhoodObesity

Postby VDZ » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:15 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
VDZ wrote:

The problem is when you gain someone's trust and have them act in good faith only to betray that trust. Deception in ways like tricking the enemy into making the wrong threat assessments is completely fine in openly hostile situations. Just don't go "trust me" and then backstab someone, which is something you appear to do frequently. If there's situations where trusting you would lead to you backstabbing them, how can you expect people to trust you in other situations? Just taking your word for it is obviously not going to work as your word seems to mean very little.

SnuggleSnail wrote:no factionbois can be trusted

Which was the point I started with. If I ever went through the trouble of organizing a large market I would have to put a lot of effort into even finding out who could perform such an audit who is not also likely to backstab me. In the first place, isn't it messed up (and discouraging players who would want to organize community projects) that having your place fully audited by a VERY experienced player (as in, several thousands of hours - even with my >2500 hours I could not perform such an audit) is an absolute requirement to set up anything large-scale?

It's orders of magnitude easier to thoroughly destroy community projects than it is to set them up. This is why large-scale community projects are rare in Haven.
VDZ

Postby SnuggleSnail » Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:21 pm

If making a secure palisade is beyond the reasonable scope for you, you were never going to make a big successful market under any circumstances xdxd

Also, your premise is kinda dumb. Checking to see if there's a security flaw somewhere doesn't require any additional privileges. If you're going to open a public market me and probably every other active raider is going to walk through at some point or another anyway

VDZ wrote:Just don't go "trust me" and then backstab someone

Not something I have done. Not something in my self interest to do
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:07 am

VDZ wrote:The problem is when you gain someone's trust and have them act in good faith only to betray that trust. Deception in ways like tricking the enemy into making the wrong threat assessments is completely fine in openly hostile situations. Just don't go "trust me" and then backstab someone, which is something you appear to do frequently. If there's situations where trusting you would lead to you backstabbing them, how can you expect people to trust you in other situations? Just taking your word for it is obviously not going to work as your word seems to mean very little.

Is exploiting someone's stupidity really gaining trust and backstabbing them? Do you meet someone in game and after 5 seconds you gain their trust? Take the screenshot of the guy jumping into the boat you sent for an example. To me situations like these are pretty much on the same level as tricking the enemy into wrong assessments. It would be very different to know someone for at least a day and then betray them IMO.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby WowGain » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:31 am

VDZ wrote:boo hoo

You have never interacted with him in game, ever.
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:47 am

DonVelD wrote:Is exploiting someone's stupidity really gaining trust and backstabbing them?

Yes, lol.

DonVelD wrote:Do you meet someone in game and after 5 seconds you gain their trust? Take the screenshot of the guy jumping into the boat you sent for an example. To me situations like these are pretty much on the same level as tricking the enemy into wrong assessments. It would be very different to know someone for at least a day and then betray them IMO.

These are random people, not faction enemies or anything. You can definitely argue they're stupid for falling for such simple tricks but sometimes they have more elaborate (although still stupid) tricks where it would almost be mean to not help them. I've seen some pretty funny ones.

I think it's a reasonable enough argument to say something who is repeatedly exhibiting such behavior is likely to be more untrustworthy than those who do not.

WowGain wrote:You have never interacted with him in game, ever.

Why must he specifically interact with him in game to form opinions based on others interactions with him ingame? Why would the interaction VDZ has with Snail randomly out in the wild be any different than all of the other random noobs?

He's not going to kiss u bro, relax
ChildhoodObesity

Postby DonVelD » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:08 am

ChildhoodObesity wrote:
DonVelD wrote:Do you meet someone in game and after 5 seconds you gain their trust? Take the screenshot of the guy jumping into the boat you sent for an example. To me situations like these are pretty much on the same level as tricking the enemy into wrong assessments. It would be very different to know someone for at least a day and then betray them IMO.

These are random people, not faction enemies or anything. You can definitely argue they're stupid for falling for such simple tricks but sometimes they have more elaborate (although still stupid) tricks where it would almost be mean to not help them. I've seen some pretty funny ones.

I think it's a reasonable enough argument to say something who is repeatedly exhibiting such behavior is likely to be more untrustworthy than those who do not.

Eh maybe I'm desensitized to shit like that after all lol, being a random or an enemy I wouldn't be mad if that happened to me because of my stupidity that's for sure.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:12 am

DonVelD wrote:Eh maybe I'm desensitized to shit like that after all lol, being a random or an enemy I wouldn't be mad if that happened to me because of my stupidity that's for sure.

Well I agree personally, however, it's still a lesson in NOT TRUSTING people so easily and this entire conversation is about whether they're trustworthy xd.
ChildhoodObesity

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements