Game Development: Provincial Oven

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Provincial Oven

Postby Audiosmurf » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:41 pm

Archiplex wrote:I wouldn't forget that leeches, too, drink blood.

Both of my direct experiences with catching swamp fever on purpose seem to indicate that it's midges. Both times it corresponded basically exactly with a series of midge bites, and not a leech attack.
jorb wrote:Audiosmurf isis a fantastic poster/genius and his meatintellect is huge

NORMALIZE IT
banok wrote:i've been playing hnh thru 10 years of involuntary celibacy and I always build my palisade in 5 minutes so if a new player cant figure it out straight away they can get fucked and chug bleach
Audiosmurf

Postby JTB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:42 pm

shubla wrote:Wish the community would make similar protest against pools so maybe devs would realize how dumb they are.

What pools?
As fearless in death as he was in life
JTB

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:44 pm

jorb wrote:Rebooting with some fixes:
  • All existing Swamp Fever wounds have been healed.
  • Significantly reduced the damage caused by Swamp fever, and made the debuff a low percentage value.
  • Updated the description of Swamp Fever to better reflect its actual transmission vector. You do not auto-contract it in Swamps.
  • Galena should no longer produce lead without quality.

Glad to see some action taken against this. Nonetheless, the core problem of this strongly encouraging alt abuse remains. I'm not taking a 5% will penalty and 2.5% agi penalty just for visiting a swamp. (And no, in swamps you're not fast enough to dodge midges; even on a horse it's hard to avoid midges with 100% consistency.)

shubla wrote:Wish the community would make similar protest against pools so maybe devs would realize how dumb they are.

Global pools don't directly harm people. Sure, it sucks that I can't get any glimmers or pearls anymore but I can live without them. Swamp Fever, on the other hand, crippled characters (do we have any confirmed deaths?) for normal gameplay. Removal of global pool is a nice-to-have, the Swamp Fever fix was essential. I personally feel that Swamp Fever even in its current state is still worse than the global pool.

Agrik wrote:
loftar wrote:Would be nice to get rid of the coracle-enter-hourglass, though.
IMHO, it's weird to really instantly get into any boat (including coracle), and such unrealism would give hunting from a boat weird properties as well. Though boarding it shouldn't take much time, of course.

Maybe the timer should start when the player puts the coracle (or other boat) in the water, invisibly in the background, until the player actually commands to get in. Then only the remaining parts appears as hourglass. Moving away from the deployed boat should reset the counter and stop it.

It's also weird to really instantly open a door, enter a house and close the door again. Clearly we need a delay on that too. And walking up the stairs? That's time-consuming as well. Mounting a horse isn't instant either, and of course you shouldn't be able to mount a horse if it moves while you're mounting. In fact, when this happens you should fall and possibly break something. Boating should also consume massive amounts of stamina because rowing is pretty tiring, and after running for too long you need to stand completely still to catch your breath. And so on, and so forth. There's so much tedium that could be added to every single action!

Just because something is realistic doesn't necessarily mean it's fun. Movement is one of the most fundamental components of the gameplay, being required for pretty much everything you want to do, so it should really be as smooth as possible. Arbitrary delays on movement actions would cause tons and tons of tiny frustrations (because of their frequency) which overall would make the game a lot less fun.

wolf1000wolf wrote:The question now is.. do fever carrying midges travel. Or can you only contract this from midget bites while IN a swamp. :?

If forest midges - the kind that enter your base even though you're nowhere near a swamp and wound you while farming - cause Swamp Fever I may just quit this game until Winter, or more likely intend to return in Winter and then just not come back.
VDZ

Postby shubla » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:49 pm

JTB wrote:

What pools?

Basically when people start botting forageables(first few weeks to get alts running), normal people who do not bot will find none of them, because there is limited supply that is mostly taken by those who bot and others leave empty handed.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby DauntlessGolem » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:03 pm

VDZ wrote:Glad to see some action taken against this. Nonetheless, the core problem of this strongly encouraging alt abuse remains. I'm not taking a 5% will penalty and 2.5% agi penalty just for visiting a swamp. (And no, in swamps you're not fast enough to dodge midges; even on a horse it's hard to avoid midges with 100% consistency.)

Hard disagreement here, midges are way easy to dodge as long as you're paying attention. Just use a dugout in the swamp. Midges will never get you as long as your eyes function.

The wound is pretty fucking harsh now though, hopefully it heals quick
Agame wrote:Gorgeous, practical, common-sense idea. They will talk about bots and will not implement it because it is brilliant.

+1, not that it will matter anyway.

jorb wrote:@ OP: Terrible idea. Just run a bot doing that.
DauntlessGolem

Postby JTB » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 pm

shubla wrote:
JTB wrote:

What pools?

Basically when people start botting forageables(first few weeks to get alts running), normal people who do not bot will find none of them, because there is limited supply that is mostly taken by those who bot and others leave empty handed.

Well i remember some words spoken by Jorb about *botting* on his stream, he said that he will think and do some moves against botting. Not sure this is not my dream :D
As fearless in death as he was in life
JTB

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:17 pm

JTB wrote:
shubla wrote:Basically when people start botting forageables(first few weeks to get alts running), normal people who do not bot will find none of them, because there is limited supply that is mostly taken by those who bot and others leave empty handed.

Well i remember some words spoken by Jorb about *botting* on his stream, he said that he will think and do some moves against botting. Not sure this is not my dream :D

Shubla explains it poorly. The 'global pool' system is a system that causes rare forageables to spawn less the more they are gathered. Theoretically this should stop botters from getting and endless supply of the rare forageable (as they would collect it once every 30 minutes, non-stop). What happens in practice is that people still bot them and the botters still get a good amount of the rare forageable, but after that the global pool is empty and there are no rare forageables left for genuine players (unless you happen to be foraging right at the moment it gets replenished). This scarcity greatly increases the value of the forageable, which is theoretically what the devs want, but all this wealth is now in the hands of the botters with very little going to non-botters. As such, rather than hindering botters, it actually helps them.
VDZ

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:21 pm

DauntlessGolem wrote:
VDZ wrote:Glad to see some action taken against this. Nonetheless, the core problem of this strongly encouraging alt abuse remains. I'm not taking a 5% will penalty and 2.5% agi penalty just for visiting a swamp. (And no, in swamps you're not fast enough to dodge midges; even on a horse it's hard to avoid midges with 100% consistency.)

Hard disagreement here, midges are way easy to dodge as long as you're paying attention. Just use a dugout in the swamp. Midges will never get you as long as your eyes function.

The wound is pretty fucking harsh now though, hopefully it heals quick

Keep in mind that this is nearly a concussion-level wound with its significant debuff and slow healing (possibly even still the stupid growth, not sure how much they toned that down). (Also, its remedy is very expensive.) For very briefly touching midges even once. I'm not saying it's impossible to avoid, but you'd need to more careful around midges than you need to be around bears (those at least take some hits to mess you up), and that's ridiculous.
Last edited by VDZ on Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VDZ

Postby Sevenless » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:22 pm

As such, rather than hindering botters, it actually helps them.

It's really the net same in terms of normal player vs botter. The difference is instead of infinite they have a limited amount (pretty critical for curio balancing), with a proportional reduction for normal players as well.

Either way, something about the system has changed. Glimmer moss don't seem to be free from the pool, but they also seem much more available in a consistent spawnrate for me. Early world when most people couldn't see them it was 5-15 glimmer per cavern search, now it's 0-3. Compared to past world where you'd simply never see them.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby VDZ » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:23 pm

Sevenless wrote:
As such, rather than hindering botters, it actually helps them.

It's really the net same in terms of normal player vs botter. The difference is instead of infinite they have a limited amount (pretty critical for curio balancing), with a proportional reduction for normal players as well.

Either way, something about the system has changed. Glimmer moss don't seem to be free from the pool, but they also seem much more available in a consistent spawnrate for me. Early world when most people couldn't see them it was 5-15 glimmer per cavern search, now it's 0-3. Compared to past world where you'd simply never see them.

Really? At the start of the world I saw tons of them and I'm not sure if I've seen a single Glimmermoss at all since the global pool kicked in.
VDZ

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements