Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Fishing for Finery

Postby trinh » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:17 pm

simple pool to make with next update:
"Do you enjoy pvp in h&h?" ;)

pvp is rat race for big experienced groups, casual players have no chance to survive.
red handed should be debuffed for longer period, and killing hearthlings without rage should half their stats each time ;3

for the update things, I see no diff when fishing with new lines.
trinh

Postby Archiplex » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:39 pm

To comment on the fishlines as strings:

The only way i can see to really amp up quality is via the macabre line, but even then it's going to be worse than the hide you get from an animal as it's, presumably, being averaged with a lower quality string.

Don't see any bad implications, other than accidently using your fishing lines as string in various things.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Hesufo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:51 pm

Archiplex wrote:To comment on the fishlines as strings:

The only way i can see to really amp up quality is via the macabre line, but even then it's going to be worse than the hide you get from an animal as it's, presumably, being averaged with a lower quality string.

Don't see any bad implications, other than accidently using your fishing lines as string in various things.

Bushcraft fishline is made from generic string so you can use hide straps for that.
Hesufo

Postby VDZ » Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 pm

Hesufo wrote:

Bushcraft fishline is made from generic string so you can use hide straps for that.

What I think Archiplex was commenting on was the possible concern that usage of fishing line as string could allow players to craft unusually high quality fishing lines to use for general crafting/building in stead of 'proper' strings. Considering Hide Straps and Plant Fibres exist, I don't think this will be an issue. (Perhaps a more likely issue could be accidentally crafting away your fishing lines when you intended to use something in your inventory instead; I know I've accidentally crafted from a Wicker Picker before, without noticing it as I didn't have its window open.)
VDZ

Postby Hesufo » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:40 pm

VDZ wrote:
Hesufo wrote:

What I think Archiplex was commenting on was the possible concern that usage of fishing line as string could allow players to craft unusually high quality fishing lines to use for general crafting/building in stead of 'proper' strings. Considering Hide Straps and Plant Fibres exist, I don't think this will be an issue. (Perhaps a more likely issue could be accidentally crafting away your fishing lines when you intended to use something in your inventory instead; I know I've accidentally crafted from a Wicker Picker before, without noticing it as I didn't have its window open.)

Ah yes, my bad. Yeah, I don't see a possible abuse case either.
Hesufo

Postby Vraatjuh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:59 am

They should implent a moral system, where you lose moral if you kill too many people that have no rage (and a system to regain this moral as well).
If at some point your moral is below a threshold, then everbody is allowed to attack you on sight without rage required or leaving any scents.

Maybe that will make them think twice about killing random sprucecaps for fun.
Vraatjuh

Postby MagicManICT » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:17 am

Vraatjuh wrote:They should implent a moral system,

That hasn't worked in any game ever.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Vraatjuh » Thu Apr 29, 2021 7:53 am

MagicManICT wrote:

Let's just say we disagree there.

Even the first MMORPG I played, Myth of Soma, did a decent job there. And that's a game from 2002.
Especially in a game with open pvp and no story at all I think it can make for a system to partially protect newbs at least.
Vraatjuh

Postby VDZ » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:32 pm

Vraatjuh wrote:They should implent a moral system, where you lose moral if you kill too many people that have no rage (and a system to regain this moral as well).
If at some point your moral is below a threshold, then everbody is allowed to attack you on sight without rage required or leaving any scents.

Maybe that will make them think twice about killing random sprucecaps for fun.

Developer Thoughts on PvP

There has been talk of unstickying it, but I really think it should remain stickied.
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:23 am

Vraatjuh wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

Let's just say we disagree there.

Even the first MMORPG I played, Myth of Soma, did a decent job there. And that's a game from 2002.
Especially in a game with open pvp and no story at all I think it can make for a system to partially protect newbs at least.

I looked the game up, and it looks, effectively, no different than Ultima Online and a few others. If it "worked," I'd say it was more from lack of people willing to bend the system or break it. Community is a strong influence on exactly how well these systems work. Some games are very friendly minded despite the inherit competition in them, others are so cutthroat that you need to go "Yarr!!" before even logging in.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements