Game Development: Pelican Pool

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Pelican Pool

Postby Southpaw » Thu May 06, 2021 12:05 pm

Kaios wrote:
Southpaw wrote:words spoken by a man who hasn't gambled cutting them in their cellar with their entire village

Oh, so basically you're fine with keeping that advantage if you got it yourself but it's "too strong" to have them respawn for other pplayers later in the world. Got it.

pretty fucking stupid take-away from that, but alright

i'm indifferent to it either way, i'll enjoy farming my q100 dust jewels ad infinitum if it gets changed, and otherwise i'll have to go ahead and keep tunneling in to the practically infinite cave systems that will be untapped for the world's duration

friendly reminder that you can, indeed, find places other human beings havent been to, in this game, no matter when you start!!!! all it takes is this handy thing called "travel"
jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby Kaios » Thu May 06, 2021 12:14 pm

If you don't care either way, then why are you trying to dictate what should happen with them? Tripp has a question that has not received a legitimate reply yet, and arguably if it's the case that a q100 dust gem is too powerful and would be easily farmed then perhaps they should be nerfed or removed entirely.
Kaios

Postby Zentetsuken » Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm

Holy shit how bored are you kids?

Dust gems? We're seriously complaining about dust gems?

Consider the fact that they spawn not just on level 1, and across the entire world.

I would bet 100s of dollars that there will be level 1 dust piles available even 12 months in to the world, let alone all the many dust gems layers below.

Why about acre clay? What about metal? What about literally every resource that is not renewable?

dust gems ............

if this is a hot topic for you you are 100% playing the wrong game
Zentetsuken

Postby talon00302 » Thu May 06, 2021 1:25 pm

Zentetsuken wrote:Holy shit how bored are you kids?

Dust gems? We're seriously complaining about dust gems?

Consider the fact that they spawn not just on level 1, and across the entire world.

I would bet 100s of dollars that there will be level 1 dust piles available even 12 months in to the world, let alone all the many dust gems layers below.

Why about acre clay? What about metal? What about literally every resource that is not renewable?

dust gems ............

if this is a hot topic for you you are 100% playing the wrong game

It might be time for a steam release if this is what people are complaining about now.
talon00302

Postby MagicManICT » Thu May 06, 2021 6:28 pm

Southpaw wrote:
Kaios wrote:
Southpaw wrote:words spoken by a man who hasn't gambled cutting them in their cellar with their entire village

Oh, so basically you're fine with keeping that advantage if you got it yourself but it's "too strong" to have them respawn for other pplayers later in the world. Got it.

pretty fucking stupid take-away from that, but alright

i'm indifferent to it either way, i'll enjoy farming my q100 dust jewels ad infinitum if it gets changed, and otherwise i'll have to go ahead and keep tunneling in to the practically infinite cave systems that will be untapped for the world's duration

friendly reminder that you can, indeed, find places other human beings havent been to, in this game, no matter when you start!!!! all it takes is this handy thing called "travel"

A reminder that the intent of this game is to be an infinite world, even if it still hasn't gotten there. The whole of the mining system is flawed in that regard.

The spawn rate of dust piles can be tuned to be more appropriate. As has been said, this is more of a "beginners" gem to give a small boost to early game foraging. Maybe make them so they can't even be cut? Keep them from getting beyond a certain size?

A general reminder for all in this conversation: As jorb said a few weeks ago--be careful what you ask for. We got boating in swamps, ended up with a diseases to go along with it.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby VDZ » Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 pm

tripp wrote:
loftar wrote:
iamahh wrote:now dustpile is still kinda missing, maybe its intended rare now

Dustpiles never did respawn, they are only placed in the new world and never regenerated.

why is this the intended case?

They're rewards for being the first person to explore a certain cave system. It makes exploration worthwhile and indicates the cave system is (relatively) untouched.

tripp wrote:if someone joins in the middle of the world, why should they be excluded from dust gems and other goodies because they didnt play the game at the right time?

If someone joins in the middle of the world, why should they be excluded from ore nodes or anything that's claimed or palisaded? That's just how it works. Some resources are limited, and not everything needs to have infinite supply. In all cases, there's still plenty of supply left, you just need to look harder for it. People starting early get easy access to dust gems, providing a hefty +PER bonus. People starting late get easy access to decent q Spectacles (via trading), providing a hefty +PER bonus. We started out slowly drying WWWs for shitty q20 crops, while a mid-world player can just find an abandoned claim and easily harvest plenty of q60+ crops of various types; I don't think early world play gets unfair advantages compared to mid-world play. (In fact, I strongly feel the opposite is the case; stuff tends to be so easy to get mid-world I progress too quickly and grow bored as a result.)

(If you're talking about the current situation rather than mid-world, there's still tons of dust everywhere. Just go visit other caves, particularly those not near water.)

MagicManICT wrote:A reminder that the intent of this game is to be an infinite world, even if it still hasn't gotten there. The whole of the mining system entire game is flawed in that regard.

Fixed that for you.

MagicManICT wrote:Maybe make them so they can't even be cut? Keep them from getting beyond a certain size?

Fuck no. That would make them worthless after you get two decent ones, disincentivizing exploring caves. Walking a bazillion miles just to map stuff is pretty boring, at least this way I get a (chance at) a reward for it. And retroactively making them worthless (by removing functionality from existing dust gems) would be a real kick in the nuts for people who bothered to collect them.
VDZ

Postby Archiplex » Thu May 06, 2021 11:44 pm

dust jewels are cool because they are like an early game gem you can use on your beastie rings

it feels rlly strange that they scale so hard and are extremely competitive even later on; their bonuses should be much smaller given how much easier they are to obtain.
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Ignurof » Fri May 07, 2021 12:03 am

Archiplex wrote:dust jewels are cool because they are like an early game gem you can use on your beastie rings

it feels rlly strange that they scale so hard and are extremely competitive even later on; their bonuses should be much smaller given how much easier they are to obtain.

This is the most reasonable take yet.
Ignurof

Postby iamahh » Fri May 07, 2021 12:36 am

lmao I played last world thinking dustpiles were recurring, but I was just playing in an empty continent... the more you know

they were pretty easy to make jotun cutting wheel, and in this world they gave some huge perception bonus to whoever cut a good number of them, way bigger than Spectacles which takes glass panel and quicksilver
iamahh

Previous

Return to Announcements