Game Development: Bumble Pyre

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Bumble Pyre

Postby Kyria » Sun May 16, 2021 11:20 pm

jordancoles wrote:
Kyria wrote:
jorb wrote:Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Gloves, but not Plate Gloves, may now be carried in belts. Suggested here.
  • Beaver Gauntlets are no longer gloves.

It does not work for Lynx Claw Gloves. They are Gloves (even in Name) but you can not put them in the belt.
Don't know if that is wanted.

Lynx gloves don't work as gloves

Well at least in the suggestion they talked about them and the knuckles. So the question is reasonable :)
Kyria

Postby MagicManICT » Sun May 16, 2021 11:26 pm

jorb wrote:
  • Added "Bough Pyre". A lit Bough Pyre will, over the course of about 15 real life minutes, give or take, neutralize a Wild Beehive, leaving it prone to raiding. Do note that nothing in the pyre presently prevents the beehive from despawning if the map section unloads, so you kind of have to watch it, but we're hoping to fix that down the road.

Just awesome. Thanks a million from all of us!!!
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Sevenless » Sun May 16, 2021 11:42 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:
Archiplex wrote:I'm just trying to figure out of this new coade clay is going to be better than bone clay or not.

Bone clay's quality is only so high because of bones being used in it; coade clay uses glass, which can be brought up by lye (of which, you can use hq bones to make). Then it's also brought up by the quality of 2 stones (which can be extremely high, though bones will be higher up in the whaling era). Bricks can obviously be brought up by fuel, and you can even use other coade clay bricks for it (i think?).

So is this just a more accessable, potentially higher quality, alternative to bone clay? Until you get bones significantly higher quality than your stones, what's even the point of using bone clay?

this new clay makes not only bone clay but also potter's clay and that ugly w13 brown clay - useless... jorb hit balance one more time... good to know that some big boys with q300+ stones will build top-kilns and then jorb nerf this new clay, so those kilns would be unaccessible for regular players. top-tier catch-up mechanics

Preliminary math for my village doesn't show boneclay being useless. Ballclay and sand tie this down enough that it fits more into the "I wish I could use boneclay on this because it'd be nice" type of things like ovens/garden pots.

Resources available will change that of course.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun May 16, 2021 11:51 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:this new clay makes not only bone clay but also potter's clay and that ugly w13 brown clay - useless... jorb hit balance one more time... good to know that some big boys with q300+ stones will build top-kilns and then jorb nerf this new clay, so those kilns would be unaccessible for regular players. top-tier catch-up mechanics

One or both of us has our values REALLY off. I'm pretty sure it's you
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Kirche » Sun May 16, 2021 11:53 pm

a size increase to the purse would be very nice now that it's used for more than just coins, or more expensive purses, maybe silk and hard leather?
Kirche

Postby magisticus » Sun May 16, 2021 11:56 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:this new clay makes not only bone clay but also potter's clay and that ugly w13 brown clay - useless... jorb hit balance one more time... good to know that some big boys with q300+ stones will build top-kilns and then jorb nerf this new clay, so those kilns would be unaccessible for regular players. top-tier catch-up mechanics

One or both of us has our values REALLY off. I'm pretty sure it's you

Depends on what you have higher q - quartz+flint or bones+feldspar, I've got it coming in for me a little below bone clay but that could easily change and probably will on the lower mining levels. The q of bones used for the lye is a pretty small factor I think so don't think would bother using best quality bones on it (with the bones going through 3 processes before being 1 of 5 ingredients). Ball clay and glass is for me a little lower q than Soap clay however and that will be a widening gap.. can't be assed looking for better q sand than we already have.
magisticus

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 17, 2021 1:09 am

magisticus wrote: Ball clay and glass is for me a little lower q than Soap clay however and that will be a widening gap.. can't be assed looking for better q sand than we already have.

That is really low Q soap clay... You should be able to get it a lot higher than your ballclay. Like almost x2.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

Postby magisticus » Mon May 17, 2021 1:18 am

Sevenless wrote:
magisticus wrote: Ball clay and glass is for me a little lower q than Soap clay however and that will be a widening gap.. can't be assed looking for better q sand than we already have.

That is really low Q soap clay... You should be able to get it a lot higher than your ballclay. Like almost x2.

It's about 1.5 atm but that is what I mean by a little.. it isn't a significant difference to the equation. Living in a small hermitage so probs a little behind you in quality :)
magisticus

Postby Archiplex » Mon May 17, 2021 1:44 am

Seems like this new clay will be something like an inbetween. It's actually better than bone clay untill you can get your hands on very high (300/400+) quality bones, and more importantly it's very bountiful. Creates this weird dynamic where it's better to hoard your cave/pit clay early on for bone clay wayyy later on though, especially if you have a good stone node early on.

I do like that it's a bountiful source of good quality clay for certain things that eat too much clay early on to be worth using bone clay on. I don't like that it's an eyesore though...

I hope that with this existing though that potter's clay can be looked at so that i can have pink clay/bricks without breaking my back on bone clay for it though
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby Sevenless » Mon May 17, 2021 2:33 am

magisticus wrote:
Sevenless wrote:

It's about 1.5 atm but that is what I mean by a little.. it isn't a significant difference to the equation. Living in a small hermitage so probs a little behind you in quality :)

It's definitely more accessible for non-faction towns and could act as a good "keeping pace" for people who can mine for good stone spots without needing to worry about metal quality and bone quality for boneclay. But saying it overshoots faction boneclay is getting a bit ahead of things. 350+ bones are a thing, and their metal quality's well over 200 as well. 99% sure better base kilns/fuel also impacts boneclay more than this one by a longshot.

Kinda like sausages. Average joe is getting a lot of benefits relative to the big boys so it seems OP. But really it's just closing the gap a bit because big boys were already so far ahead.

The Art of Herding
Sevenless

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements