Game Development: Tar Plow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Tar Plow

Postby VDZ » Mon May 24, 2021 9:17 am

Fostik wrote:It's just too broken, do something with this mechanic.

jorb wrote:
  • Alchemy Elixirs which convert one wound to another should now present that information in their tooltips, rather than state generically that they heal wounds.

Not saying alchemy is perfect now, but they did improve it this very patch.
VDZ

Postby Fostik » Mon May 24, 2021 9:19 am

VDZ wrote:Not saying alchemy is perfect now, but they did improve it this very patch.

Yeah, and then this recipe elixir were posted in discord, so I'm asking, is there a real value of having such effect to be possible?
Known as zunzon. Contact discord: zunzon.
Fostik

Postby Kaios » Mon May 24, 2021 9:54 am

loftar wrote:
Pills wrote:Any real news on this yet though?

No substantive news. There's quite a bit to be done, so I wouldn't suggest expecting it anytime soon.

That’s not really a good excuse for pushing out boring/useless changes the rest of the time. I’m curious how you even intend to work in things like going inside of a house to lose aggro if the “inside” is no longer instanced.

Will the end-game suddenly become more fun as a result of object-controlled objects? How about giving some time to changes that actually matter to the vast majority of your players. I promise you that houses being instanced is the furthest thing from my mind when I consider what makes this game a struggle to play through.
Kaios

Postby VDZ » Mon May 24, 2021 10:44 am

Kaios wrote:
loftar wrote:
Pills wrote:Any real news on this yet though?

No substantive news. There's quite a bit to be done, so I wouldn't suggest expecting it anytime soon.

That’s not really a good excuse for pushing out boring/useless changes the rest of the time. I’m curious how you even intend to work in things like going inside of a house to lose aggro if the “inside” is no longer instanced.

Will the end-game suddenly become more fun as a result of object-controlled objects? How about giving some time to changes that actually matter to the vast majority of your players. I promise you that houses being instanced is the furthest thing from my mind when I consider what makes this game a struggle to play through.

Game dev (and software dev in general) frequently involves building a lot of groundwork which is completely unexciting to the end-user, but is required to make things that are exciting to the end-user possible. The more fancy things are added without adequate groundwork, the more time the dev has to spend on maintenance and the harder it gets to add new stuff.

Of course, they can always make minor adjustments which don't add any technical debt. This patch's changes are exactly that, and they definitely did reduce tedium in the game.
VDZ

Postby MagicManICT » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am

Kaios wrote:That’s not really a good excuse for pushing out boring/useless changes the rest of the time. I’m curious how you even intend to work in things like going inside of a house to lose aggro if the “inside” is no longer instanced.

If the next six months are QoL updates like this with the tar kiln and last week's wild beehives, I'll be just fine with it.

Kaios wrote:Will the end-game suddenly become more fun as a result of object-controlled objects? How about giving some time to changes that actually matter to the vast majority of your players. I promise you that houses being instanced is the furthest thing from my mind when I consider what makes this game a struggle to play through.

People are going to have to rethink their village defenses again, sure. Can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs. Yes, it's really going to suck for a few months while we figure the new tricks out, and some people figure out some of the "new tricks" that have to get fixed.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby Kaios » Mon May 24, 2021 10:47 am

If you are happy with the changes we have been getting in these updates, that's great. I personally have higher expectations than whatever... this is.
Kaios

Postby wonder-ass » Mon May 24, 2021 10:55 am

QoL is better than random piece of food.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Kaios » Mon May 24, 2021 10:58 am

I think you guys might be confused. These aren't even quality of life additions in this patch, these are fixes. A thing that was originally implemented was done so in a poor way, so now it has been fixed to be better. Yes that improves the overall quality of life, but it's not a new quality of life addition. All that changed was adding a function to something that it should have had in the first place.
Kaios

Postby jordancoles » Mon May 24, 2021 11:06 am

just-two-people.jpeg
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby The_Lich_King » Mon May 24, 2021 11:13 am

Kaios wrote:I think you guys might be confused. These aren't even quality of life additions in this patch, these are fixes. A thing that was originally implemented was done so in a poor way, so now it has been fixed to be better. Yes that improves the overall quality of life, but it's not a new quality of life addition. All that changed was adding a function to something that it should have had in the first place.

I would rather have them fix things they have implemented, than leave them broken and put in more. These updates give the game polish.... VERY slight polish, but polish nonetheless and i would like to see them fixing current issues rather than implementing new major updates that will later need to be fixed. That and they are also working on a pretty major update and these updates are just being done in the meantime.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements