Game Development: Tar Plow

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Tar Plow

Postby Asgaroth22 » Mon May 24, 2021 4:38 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:
jorb wrote:
Procne wrote:I was wondering... do you already have some specific ideas of features that you would use OCO for?
I'm a bit afraid that it would end up in similar fashion to material properties carrying over crafts. Of which we only have "memories of pain" currently

The idea, loosely, is that objects should be able to exist within map spaces defined by other objects, to make it possible to, for example, walk on ships, walls, or houses, or e.g. over the kind of platforms we see in the wagon station, and the like. It would enable us to implement things like bridges, and, ultimately, freeform building. Presently, objects only really have a position in game world coordinates. With OCO, they would be capable of having coordinates in a space defined by another object.

Hotly anticipating when this gets done, there is so much utility that can go into this. Once we have OCO, will we get front porch's for certain homes? Maybe balconies for multi leveled homes like Great Halls?

I'll take a guess and say yes, we'll be able to build these things and more. When I hear freeform building I'm thinking games like Valheim, where you get a set of building parts like walls, roofs etc. and you can build whatever you wish out of them. At least that's what I'm hoping the devs have in mind.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Ardennesss » Mon May 24, 2021 5:19 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:I'll take a guess and say yes, we'll be able to build these things and more. When I hear freeform building I'm thinking games like Valheim, where you get a set of building parts like walls, roofs etc. and you can build whatever you wish out of them. At least that's what I'm hoping the devs have in mind.
Boy oh boy are you setting yourself up for the disappointment of a lifetime.
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby The_Lich_King » Mon May 24, 2021 5:21 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
Asgaroth22 wrote:I'll take a guess and say yes, we'll be able to build these things and more. When I hear freeform building I'm thinking games like Valheim, where you get a set of building parts like walls, roofs etc. and you can build whatever you wish out of them. At least that's what I'm hoping the devs have in mind.

it's okay to set yourself up for dissapointment because on occasion you won't be, and those moments are worth cherishing enough, to overwhelm the dissapointing moments you have when the setup was for nought.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

Postby Ardennesss » Mon May 24, 2021 5:27 pm

The_Lich_King wrote:
Ardennesss wrote:

it's okay to set yourself up for dissapointment because on occasion you won't be, and those moments are worth cherishing enough, to overwhelm the dissapointing moments you have when the setup was for nought.
:lol:
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Schattengaenger » Mon May 24, 2021 6:54 pm

loftar wrote:
Schattengaenger wrote:Not that it really matters, but I hope you also added the feature to change the material color of the plows with a sketchbook page, or are they only supposed to work on stantionary buildings?

I have no such problems, either on plows nor on anything else.

Stone Columns, Alchemist's table, Wheelbarrows, Dugouts (a weak addition to this list, I'll admit) interour doors*
So far these are the only ones I found them not to work on. the sketchbookpage won't regcognize it as an applicable object, simply doing nothing when you click at any part of it

*contrary to the other objects, innder doors use material and page and don't change decided to fact check my claim since my last waste of a sketchbook page has been a while and I am surprised it works and doesn't just eat material and page for lunch without result.
Schattengaenger

Postby vatas » Mon May 24, 2021 6:59 pm

IIRC the problem on inner door sketch change was that once the interior becomes unloaded, it reverts to old appearance for some reason?
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Includes how to escape/minimize risk of getting killed.)
vatas

Postby Schattengaenger » Mon May 24, 2021 8:14 pm

vatas wrote:IIRC the problem on inner door sketch change was that once the interior becomes unloaded, it reverts to old appearance for some reason?

Wel I build several buildings today and it seems like the mansion inner door works as intendet (and doesn't revert) but the stonestead door (the board part making up the actual door) still has the bug of just using both page and material and doing nothing to it. it previews correctly but as soon as you confirm, it reverts back to pine. It doesn't even care what the building was built with, since I built it with hazel and it is pine from the getgo.
Another page lost to the void -.-
Schattengaenger

Postby jordancoles » Tue May 25, 2021 10:28 am

Procne wrote:Ah, that sounds great then. Can't wait!

Yeah, keep waiting :roll:
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby Sevenless » Tue May 25, 2021 2:15 pm

Not to be a dick, but the initial implementation of OCO without special content wouldn't really change the game much. There'll be a bunch of "neat, but functionally it's the same thing". Firing arrows over walls due to platforms? People won't sit beside your wall and trashtalk, they'll do it from a distance. Moving around on ships? Doesn't change anything about how they work. Freeform building? Immersive, but it'll just be a means to an end which is already served by our static buildings. Blocking waterways is no beuno, so bridges will basically just be a visual (and probably harder to build) road hop, functionally that is. They'll have to be bashable or "pass under" type things to keep with current design mantra of waterways can't be obstructed or used for defense.

Guess what I'm saying is don't get too excited for OCO, get excited for the content it enables in the next year or two after.
Lucky: haven is so quirky
Lucky: can be so ugly, can be so heartwarming
Sevenless: it is life

The Art of Herding
W15 Casting Rod Cheatsheet
Explanation of the logic behind the cooking system
Sevenless

Postby The_Lich_King » Tue May 25, 2021 3:12 pm

Sevenless wrote:Not to be a dick, but the initial implementation of OCO without special content wouldn't really change the game much. There'll be a bunch of "neat, but functionally it's the same thing". Firing arrows over walls due to platforms? People won't sit beside your wall and trashtalk, they'll do it from a distance. Moving around on ships? Doesn't change anything about how they work. Freeform building? Immersive, but it'll just be a means to an end which is already served by our static buildings. Blocking waterways is no beuno, so bridges will basically just be a visual (and probably harder to build) road hop, functionally that is. They'll have to be bashable or "pass under" type things to keep with current design mantra of waterways can't be obstructed or used for defense.

Guess what I'm saying is don't get too excited for OCO, get excited for the content it enables in the next year or two after.

For me this is also what gets me excited. I don't expect anything fantastical at the start, but i am excited because of the possibilities it opens up..... Well... i am also excited because of the LARP aesthetic of having balconies.
Ysh wrote: I think you are jordancoles. You saying this for throwing off of track to make me thinking I am jordancoles.

Onep wrote: If I had to choose between drowning you and savoring every moment as your face desperately gasps for air beneath the brine or saving the planet, I'd choose you everytime.
The_Lich_King

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements