Game Development: Still Brandy

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Still Brandy

Postby Noid » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:20 am

ducklingSand wrote:Tell me a reason why the devs don't make world resets more often(not once a year like it's right now)? How I see there are only advantages to do so:
1)higher online = more subscriptions = more money to support the project
2)more fun for players because there are more people playing
3)more people playing = more people talk more about H&H and thus spread a word about H&H

Shorter worlds than current would result in less motivation in investing time on it. Since all you do will be gone in a even shorter amount of time. Since this is not a MOBA and people appreciate progression mostly on this game I don't see how that would really help.
Noid

Postby mvgulik » Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:58 am

ducklingSand wrote:I just wonder.

The initial idea, or at least Jorb's target for the game, was to create a permanent world. As far as I know that has not changed.
mvgulik

Postby jorb » Sun Jul 18, 2021 9:14 am

I think the thrill of new worlds would quickly lose its lustre if we started spamming world resets. The proper course, and the one we've largely held to, is to do them for development reasons, i.e. when we want to change something significant with the map generation, some central system, or the like.

For me, a large part of the motivation to play is dependent on the promise of at least semi-permanence of what I build and do.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ducklingSand » Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:49 am

jorb wrote:I think the thrill of new worlds would quickly lose its lustre if we started spamming world resets. The proper course, and the one we've largely held to, is to do them for development reasons, i.e. when we want to change something significant with the map generation, some central system, or the like.

For me, a large part of the motivation to play is dependent on the promise of at least semi-permanence of what I build and do.

Thank you so much!
Yeah, the thrill of new world... It's amazing feeling you present. I think many H&H fans are waiting for it more than for Christmas. :D
Your argumentation about resets is understood. There's no person in the world who knows the world better than its creator. Creator who was with H&H from the very beginning and observed its population dynamics for years.
ducklingSand

Previous

Return to Announcements