Game Development: Rocking Lemon

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Rocking Lemon

Postby Phaen » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:17 pm

loftar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:Do you understand, that some ppl may have a crop-farm divided between 3 provinces, and now every time they try to replant it - they will constantly see this "I will grab half of of your screen" shit???

Honestly hadn't really considered that, though it seems like a bit of an edge case (pun not intended). I had considered the hysteresis aspect of it a bit and added some light countermeasures, but mostly just for the case of crossing an edge (a jagged edge in particular). I do think there should be a proper display when journeying between provinces though. I'll try and see if I can think of some reasonable way to handle it, but if you have any suggestions of your own, feel free to voice...

Have it check these things before displaying again:

Has the player already entered (and been notified of) this province this play session?
If not -> display it
Else -> has at least x minutes passed since the last time the player was notified of this particular province?
If yes -> display it
Else -> is the player at least z tiles distance from where they were standing last time they were notified of this province?
If yes -> display it

Additionally, you might not want to display it when the player is within 1000 tiles of their hearthfire. Presumably they are perfectly well informed about their home area.
Phaen

Postby Enjoyment_2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:22 pm

loftar wrote:
Enjoyment_2 wrote:While if you do know, this change would look even more like "okay, you've removed one annoying feature, so here's new" )

I added this feature because I wanted it myself, so "annoying" seems to be in the eye of the beholder.

okay, bring me on your side - Im pretty open - enlight me "in what cases should I need to know I stepped into new province"? I mean seriously, you say you wanted to add it, what for? (Also should I remind that aleck is still shitposting while beign ban-avasing and that's the same reason why Im under curfew?)
Enjoyment_2
Under curfew

Postby Karede » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:27 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:Do you understand, that some ppl may have a crop-farm divided between 3 provinces, and now every time they try to replant it - they will constantly see this "I will grab half of of your screen" shit???

This is so exceptionally unlikely that you would have to do it on purpose
Karede

Postby loftar » Sun Aug 08, 2021 11:39 pm

Enjoyment_2 wrote:okay, bring me on your side - Im pretty open - enlight me "in what cases should I need to know I stepped into new province"? I mean seriously, you say you wanted to add it, what for?

For practical purposes, when exploring the world, I want to know the name of a province when I enter it, instead of having to wait until I find the thingwall to know it. As a lesser aside, I also wanted to make it a bit more clear that the names are the names of the provinces rather than of just the thingwalls. That later thing may not be mostly for my own sake, but I did catch myself as well starting to think of it that way, since the thingwalls are the only place where you see the province names, and I resented that a bit.

Perhaps more importantly, though, do you need to know that you entered Hateno VIllage in BotW, or the Death Mountain Trail in OoT? Is that strictly necessary and vital information when playing that game? Of course not, it's displayed to give the world a bit of flavor, to make you aware that you've entered an area that has significance, not in terms of strict mechanisms or formalisms, but in terms of the lore of the world. That's a large part of the reason why I added even the original Entering/Leaving messages for realms and villages, and the same thing applies for provinces. I think it's nice that it's obvious that the world has provinces, that I'm made aware of them, and that their existence matters. Why do we have models and textures, when we could Just As Well display bounding boxes only?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby wonder-ass » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:36 am

Notification for province is cool but maybe change how it works with thingwall teleport haha.. i was already at my destination and it was still lagging behind saying the previous provinces.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Sephiron » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:47 am

Nice patch. Gr8 job m80s
Sephiron

Postby Chevredoux93 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:58 am

Karede wrote:

This is so exceptionally unlikely that you would have to do it on purpose

Maybe not, was it easy to do it on purpose before this patch? (idk) And if he did, he should have anticipated future changes?
But making new farm / pali is usually not that hard. Annoying but not too much.
If not possible well... he's kinda fucked. Not a big deal probably. The patch seems positive for most players. Maybe reducing the message size can partially fix the pb.
Chevredoux93

Postby Mer0 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:56 am

How about this, you give players a timer that determines if they are shown province updates, if they are in a claim then this is turned off, trigger a province notification and you get the timer set to a minute~, leave a claim and the same thing happens.

The chance of a claim on the corner of provinces is already low, and will be even more unlikely if someone cares so much about it since any bases going forward can easily avoid such problems (though sometimes that spot might be desired). And both can easily be avoided with the timer above (even just "if (inClaim) {return 0;}" kind of thing fixes this problem) or a toggle for the feature which is an easy option.

I honestly thought the names of provinces where just the names of thingwalls.

But nice patch, interesting ideas being tried are always cool.

Phaen wrote:Has the player already entered (and been notified of) this province this play session?
If not -> display it
Else -> has at least x minutes passed since the last time the player was notified of this particular province?
If yes -> display it
Else -> is the player at least z tiles distance from where they were standing last time they were notified of this province?
If yes -> display it

If I'm not being dumb right now I'm pretty sure the first case is completely useless since you will never have a timer for something you haven't been in this play session.

Something better would be to keep track of the last three provinces they have entered and give those a timer or even leave them be and ignore them (entering a forth province would push the oldest third one out.)
Mer0

Postby NeoRed9 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:24 am

I think "vaccum looting" is a problem and needs change.

But a man is entitled to the sweat of his brow.

But the accepted philosophy is that if something requires botting/scripting it's not good.

A system that prevents almost instant and total looting but still allows woe to the vanquished would be ideal.
NeoRed9

Postby azrid » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:56 am

NeoRed9 wrote:I think "vaccum looting" is a problem and needs change.

But a man is entitled to the sweat of his brow.

But the accepted philosophy is that if something requires botting/scripting it's not good.

A system that prevents almost instant and total looting but still allows woe to the vanquished would be ideal.

gods have spoken
use script or fuck off
azrid

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements