DevStream 2021-08-29, 19:00 UTC

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: DevStream 2021-08-29, 19:00 UTC

Postby frusby » Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:39 am

Can you enlighten me on who would be griefed by turning off realm buffs? from my limited time playing I've seen them come and go but since I never actually put any effort into them I didn't really mind that much. One thing i could see being a turn off would be creating a realm just to accumulate exp to dump on a private well, but I have no idea how much that would impact balance between bigger factions
frusby

Postby vatas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:20 am

frusby wrote:Can you enlighten me on who would be griefed by turning off realm buffs? from my limited time playing I've seen them come and go but since I never actually put any effort into them I didn't really mind that much. One thing i could see being a turn off would be creating a realm just to accumulate exp to dump on a private well, but I have no idea how much that would impact balance between bigger factions

Realm buffs give rather significant bonuses, not having those is kind of bad. Especially if you've gotten to taste the fruit and it's suddenly yanked from your hands.

Even worse due to Realm mechanics; unless realm is completely abandoned, any realm willing to take in the now de facto abandoned province will have hard time doing so, as it sill needs to be conquered. Peasants are stuck with realm that has no buffs.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby frusby » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:14 pm

I understand that point but i find it a bit far stretched to call it large scale griefing when most of the peasants affected didn't contribute to those buffs, me included. Would making it easier to take territory from realms without buffs help?
frusby

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Sep 02, 2021 1:48 pm

frusby wrote:Would making it easier to take territory from realms without buffs help?

No. Nobody cares enough about you to go out of their way to cover you, regardless of how easy or difficult it is. In fact, yesterday I had the option between challenging Monke who have the best buffs RN with my realm, or a region that had no kingdom. I chose to challenge Monke. Because 1) fuck the people living in that no-realm region, and 2) fuck the people living in that Monke region. I'm absolutely not an anomaly for thinking this way.

frusby wrote:far stretched to call it large scale griefing when most of the peasants affected didn't contribute to those buffs

Some of the buffs are practically mandatory, and if you don't have them you can't rly do certain things at a high level, and it's unrealistic for most players to have a significant impact on realms. Most of the time when a realm has no buffs it's just dummy realm people are using as an XP battery. Intentionally preventing good realms from covering the people living inside.

If a realm had buffs, and it no longer has buffs that's almost certainly because whoever owns it woke up one day and decided that they're willing to hurt themselves to also hurt a bunch of other people, usually after their willage has mostly quit. If neither of these options constitute griefing to you, idk what is.

The funny thing is that the people who build realms don't actually like building realms. Realms have contributed nothing positive to the game(except realm chat, which would explicitly be better if it weren't tied to realms), but done a pretty significant amount of harm, imo.

There is literally no upside. Say one nice thing about realms. You can't. You're never going to iterate on realms enough to make them good, and even if you did it would honestly be a massive waste of time compared to iterating on other extremely unpolished systems like vehicles, feasting, or farming that a significant portion of the playerbase will actually directly interact with.

You're also never going to get good or consistent feedback on realms for every part of a world's life cycle, because nobody wants to interact with realms beyond the bare minimum that is a necessity. Neither are you guys going to interact with realms yourself. If you really need realms in your game they should just be LARP, so people who don't want to interact with them can safely ignore them. You know, sandbox shit

tl;dr "realms sux, lol"
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby frusby » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:11 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:No. Nobody cares enough about you to go out of their way to cover you, regardless of how easy or difficult it is

I understand that, I was asking that in response to vatas saying it was bothersome to conquer back from inactive realms.

SnuggleSnail wrote:In fact, yesterday I had the option between challenging Monke who have the best buffs RN with my realm, or a region that had no kingdom. I chose to challenge Monke. Because 1) fuck the people living in that no-realm region, and 2) fuck the people living in that Monke region. I'm absolutely not an anomaly for thinking this way.

Shouldn't it be a good thing for you to be able to grief on a large scale based on that?

SnuggleSnail wrote:Some of the buffs are practically mandatory, and if you don't have them you can't rly do certain things at a high level, and it's unrealistic for most players to have a significant impact on realms. Most of the time when a realm has no buffs it's just dummy realm people are using as an XP battery. Intentionally preventing good realms from covering the people living inside.

it looks like the issue is more about high level competition then, i'd understand that it would be hard to rely on realm buffs if giving freebies to peasants goes against your playstyle.
I do agree that realms don't really make sense to me as well, i would expect it to work a bit in a way villages do where villages would get sworn into realms so they'd represent a group of villages instead of the current thingwall province system.
To be fair i'd also be in favour of removing buffs as a peasant, they only make it faster to widen the quality gap between casual and faction players in my opinion. I was only asking to see if I was missing anything since i've never seen any pro buffs arguments (yet)
frusby

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 03, 2021 7:04 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:Most of the time when a realm has no buffs it's just dummy realm people are using as an XP battery.

Really easy way to fix that issue.
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby DDDsDD999 » Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:21 pm

MagicManICT wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:Most of the time when a realm has no buffs it's just dummy realm people are using as an XP battery.

I really want to know what your idea is
DDDsDD999

Postby boshaw » Fri Sep 03, 2021 6:13 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
MagicManICT wrote:

I really want to know what your idea is

Shouldn't be allowed to leech experience for personal use from realms
Last edited by boshaw on Sat Sep 04, 2021 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boshaw

Postby MagicManICT » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:04 pm

boshaw wrote:Shouldn't be allowed to leech experience for personal use from realms

Exactly. Make it just like village leadership--only those with the privilege have access to the skills to do things like raise well quality, etc. Downside: If I am not in a realm* or am in a realm that doesn't have a public well, I'm stuck with whatever natural quality water I can find, I have to be a bit miserly with how much I blow on making artifacts, etc etc etc. (*in this case, I could put up my own realm if I chose.)

And to be quite honest, it's probably one of the most abused parts of legitimate game mechanics* and would solve several of the issues currently around realms. Yes, there would be significant changes to the game's dynaimics, but it'd still be more options than where we were at in w9. State Funeral for returning lost stats and Dig Deeper for raising well quality could still exist. We'd still get troll realms as a means of denial, but you wouldn't have someone doing it just to leech and enrich their own character(s) and villages as strongly. (*I'm sure jorb and loftar could generate some useful statistical data on this.)
Opinions expressed in this statement are the authors alone and in no way reflect on the game development values of the actual developers.
MagicManICT

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:48 pm

what
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements