Game Development: Raw Trucker

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Raw Trucker

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:18 am

Nightdawg wrote:When was the last time you participated in a PvP fight involving more than 10 players that would cause you to crash in the first place? Or any PvP?

I've at least tried spectating a number of them, with no success in reproducing the bug. I've also heard of some people triggering the bug outside of PvP.

Nightdawg wrote:Should've prioritized it when there was an opportunity IMHO.

It's not like I didn't prioritize it, but progress can only be so fast on that sort of bug when I can't even reproduce it locally, and there aren't many people willing to contribute with a system-level debugger in the heat of combat (understandable, not blaming anyone just to be clear).

I did, but Or you should have some beta testing server, which would help with so many things tbh,[/quote]
Not sure how you imagine that would help. Why would you be playing more 20-player PvP combat on a test server than on the real server?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:24 am

loftar wrote:Why would you be playing more 20-player PvP combat on a test server than on the real server?

Being able to spawn in characters with stats (and the randomly generated environment, not the flat world of valhalla) in a matter of minutes, rather than spending 1 month of grinding all of that stuff?
Not losing 2 months of work because you crashed and your character got killed?
Being able to jump in and start testing different things without having to spend 2 hours of travelling to the enemy base, just for them to refuse to pvp?

You can't just trust the enemy to be chill people to test this stuff on the official server, especially when retards like sacraer cry "LET'S NOT KILL EACH OTHER ON CRASH" but starts screaming in voice chat to bash a snekkja when our driver crashed.

There would be no such problems on a beta server. Mind you, I'm not saying the beta server should involve all of the progress, but just being able to test stuff.

I'm confident 90% of the player base would be willing to help you with this, we all want the game to be better. Most of us are not PM-ing nightdawg to delete bug reports about combat like snail does.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:27 am

Nightdawg wrote:Being able to spawn in characters with stats (and the randomly generated environment, not the flat world of valhalla) in a matter of minutes, rather than spending 1 month of grinding all of that stuff?

If that's what you imagined by a beta server, then I don't really see how having a server with that kind of player mutability wouldn't simply be an immediate disaster. The only way that could even remotely work would be with daily resets, and in that case I'm not sure it would be functional for that reason instead.
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:06 am

loftar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Being able to spawn in characters with stats (and the randomly generated environment, not the flat world of valhalla) in a matter of minutes, rather than spending 1 month of grinding all of that stuff?

If that's what you imagined by a beta server, then I don't really see how having a server with that kind of player mutability wouldn't simply be an immediate disaster. The only way that could even remotely work would be with daily resets, and in that case I'm not sure it would be functional for that reason instead.

I'm not saying it should be open 24/7, nor am I saying the players must be the ones to have control over it.
You could just ask a bunch of players to help you test stuff, you can spawn it for them or whatever, they just provide the man power needed to test the stuff or to stress test the pvp fights, to figure out what causes crashes.

You can do this stuff as long as you're willing to fix the problem, there are solutions, and I'm sure we're all willing to help.

Making the only solution be "here's a higher CPU usage for you in pvp and a higher chance to crash and lose your character permanently, please use this extra code in your client" isn't the way to go at it.
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:06 am

Nightdawg wrote:Making the only solution be "here's a higher CPU usage for you in pvp and a higher chance to crash and lose your character permanently, please use this extra code in your client" isn't the way to go at it.

The latest solution is nothing like that, in case you missed it. What I asked for was to turn on leaving coredumps on crashes. That has no overhead.
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:15 am

loftar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:Making the only solution be "here's a higher CPU usage for you in pvp and a higher chance to crash and lose your character permanently, please use this extra code in your client" isn't the way to go at it.

The latest solution is nothing like that, in case you missed it. What I asked for was to turn on leaving coredumps on crashes. That has no overhead.

Sadly it might be a little late for that one I reckon

And I'm sure nobody is going be willing to come back after quitting 3 months ago. We're 3 months behind in stats compared to some of them which already played twice as much per day and grinded 4 times as much compared to some of us.
You should add rolling stat caps btw lol
Nightdawg

Postby loftar » Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:19 am

Nightdawg wrote:And I'm sure nobody is going be willing to come back after quitting 3 months ago. We're 3 months behind in stats compared to some of them which already played twice as much per day and grinded 4 times as much compared to some of us.

Well, if this is the particular purpose, I don't see why Valhalla shouldn't work. Unrealistic terrain should be an impediment to triggering crashes, no?
loftar

Postby Nightdawg » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:36 pm

loftar wrote:
Nightdawg wrote:And I'm sure nobody is going be willing to come back after quitting 3 months ago. We're 3 months behind in stats compared to some of them which already played twice as much per day and grinded 4 times as much compared to some of us.

Well, if this is the particular purpose, I don't see why Valhalla shouldn't work. Unrealistic terrain should be an impediment to triggering crashes, no?

I remember one particular crash video that we have sent to you involved me being on a snekkja and clicking to move towards land and crashing. Then another guy literally crashed again in that fight doing the same thing. Not all crashes involved snekkjas but we have no snekkjas and no water in valhalla to even see if they could cause it too.

And that was just one of the many crashes we had.
For all I know, it could even depend on what armor you're wearing, what terrain you're on, what trees/boulders are around, etc. Valhalla doesn't have all the armor types either. It doesn't have terrain biomes, trees, boulders, caves.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Sep 24, 2021 3:59 pm

lol
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Previous

Return to Announcements