Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby AriZona » Mon Oct 18, 2021 5:59 pm

Please, keep some seasonality: seasons bring something unique and it makes all game experience much better. True, winter disables many activities and it is the main reason of complains. Maybe some middle ground could be reached.

IMHO, the problem is that seasons are used now as a penalty rather delivering bonus for something specific. Making different seasons offering something valuable and specific could change players opinion about seasons.

Few ideas:
I) Allow season creep N-S direction. All seasons the same length (like, 14 RL days). Let winters be mild with random snow patches (instead of full coverage). Increase Q baseline of snow so we could use a still and sometimes get good Q water ! Allow farming at winter and spring; if snow patches hit the crops - they die.
II) Tune foragables deeper into seasonality. Maybe flowers dominate (but not 100%) in spring, berries - summer, mushroom - fall, and add few more items for winter.
III) To be fair, there are way *too many* items to forage that have no value to 95% of population:
. 1) Increase substantially LP of some/few seasonal foragable curious making them less frequent.
. 2) rebalance FEP of some food recipies to make foraging for specific seasonal items meaningful and needed (it might boost trading as well !)
AriZona

Postby pawnchito » Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:07 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:Seasons kill player population, low player population is a feature, Q.E.D. seasons good

The bad seasons kill player population. There is like zero fun in Spring because you have to sit on your hands waiting for seeds and there arent even sleds to scoot around in. Winter is just brutal though especially for newbs. Turning off those seasons sounds great. Even turning them off altogether sounds good.

Regional seasons sound neat but I'm afraid its going to turn into a multi base swap athon where there is another barrier for the quality grind. Regional crops caps already kind of do this a bit.
pawnchito

Postby telum12 » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:57 pm

AriZona wrote:Please, keep some seasonality: seasons bring something unique and it makes all game experience much better. True, winter disables many activities and it is the main reason of complains. Maybe some middle ground could be reached.

IMHO, the problem is that seasons are used now as a penalty rather delivering bonus for something specific. Making different seasons offering something valuable and specific could change players opinion about seasons.

Few ideas:
I) Allow season creep N-S direction. All seasons the same length (like, 14 RL days). Let winters be mild with random snow patches (instead of full coverage). Increase Q baseline of snow so we could use a still and sometimes get good Q water ! Allow farming at winter and spring; if snow patches hit the crops - they die.
II) Tune foragables deeper into seasonality. Maybe flowers dominate (but not 100%) in spring, berries - summer, mushroom - fall, and add few more items for winter.
III) To be fair, there are way *too many* items to forage that have no value to 95% of population:
. 1) Increase substantially LP of some/few seasonal foragable curious making them less frequent.
. 2) rebalance FEP of some food recipies to make foraging for specific seasonal items meaningful and needed (it might boost trading as well !)

Timegating content is not meaningful. Wanting to do something in the game but having to wait weeks because it’s not the right season is not meaningful. It’s just frustrating.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby AriZona » Mon Oct 18, 2021 9:40 pm

telum12 wrote:
AriZona wrote:Please, keep some seasonality: seasons bring something unique and it makes all game experience much better. True, winter disables many activities and it is the main reason of complains. Maybe some middle ground could be reached.

Few ideas:

Timegating content is not meaningful. Wanting to do something in the game but having to wait weeks because it’s not the right season is not meaningful. It’s just frustrating.

First: there i snot much of that "timegating" because practically all mechanics works through all seasons. Except foragables have skewed abundance across seasons.
Second: the concept of seasons naturally involves your "timegating"
AriZona

Postby pawnchito » Tue Oct 19, 2021 3:38 am

AriZona wrote:
telum12 wrote:

Few ideas:

First: there i snot much of that "timegating" because practically all mechanics works through all seasons. Except foragables have skewed abundance across seasons.
Second: the concept of seasons naturally involves your "timegating"

Dude winter time gates the hell out of growing trees. Then spring rolls around and you are assed out of a whole friggin' season without getting new seeds. So that is a pretty deep time gate.
pawnchito

Postby Chebermech » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:25 am

I think geographical seasons would be a great idea, would for sure be fun to test it out next world. With unique flora and fauna in each seasonal region it would promote more traveling to get season specific resources / animals, and promote more trade between players. If you add farming seeds and animals that can only grow and survive in arctic and tropical zone (add tropical zone) that would be really fun. And i agree with snail, I think we do need a main continent that would take at least 60-70% of the land mass and some random islands around it, you can always expand the map later to add more of those smaller islands if needed.

You could also make north a lot harsher with more dangerous mobs and better rewards, like darkness mechanic in salem where you'd be dying from cold if you go too far in and stay there for too long.
Chebermech

Postby Lertion » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:31 am

Oookay, how do I see it (random, non-hardcore player).
All thouse who say "remove seasons *sniff sniff*" are actually those who just want "to win the game". We can't plant trees, we cant spiral crops, we cant we cant... I understand that such hardcore nerds are main dev focus. They are active and you hear them here. They tend to post ton of things, demanding this or that. But what about US? Silent players, who just enjoy the game in our own way? Who roleplay, do not chase quality, who make small villages, landscape and enjoy EVERY season? Winter is awesome! You can travel everywhere, visit neighboirs (add ice-skates!). I was NOT okay with Shortening of winter. It takes 4 days for snow to settle everwhere... And then it dissapears in one night? Boooo! I'd say, make winter at least 10 RL days! Spring could be shorter, true. It has no kinks, just punishing. Those who drop ater the first year are those who "won". They got everything, got tired, and dropped as usual. There are tons of such players. 1k at the start, then people rush to high-end contents, get proud of their acomplishemnts and wither. There are such players every world. You say, you have graphs that whoe player base drop before winter? Maybe these are players who aware of spring? Where you have literally nothing to do?

Brief summary:
a) Do not touch seasons
b) Swap winter and spring duration
c) Winter is awesome! Those who don't like it live in Uganda.
d) add folding screens https://www.vntg.com/150990/vintage-rat ... m-divider/
Lertion

Postby Chebermech » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:53 am

Can also have something similar to what we have irl. Have 4 seasons at north and south, opposite of each other, and only have 3 seasons in the central part of the map, skipping the winter. Or just make it a northern hemisphere and keep south always winter-free with 4 seasons up north only. Maybe have pole(s) be always winter (darkness) with yetis.
Chebermech

Postby telum12 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:55 am

AriZona wrote:Second: the concept of seasons naturally involves your "timegating"

Yeah, seasons bad
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby iamahh » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:59 pm

halting Seasons development could be a good move to focus efforts on other stuff, plus helps the newbies
iamahh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements