Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby MrBunzy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:39 pm

We are considering disabling seasons. Winter (and spring) remove a fair bit of content -- whole core game loops -- we have no easy fix for that, and it seems to hurt a fair bit more than intended. We're considering reworking seasonality to be a map local thing, rather than a server wide event, but that is a bigger project. Eternal summer? Let us know what you think.

I actually really like winter, especially since it was shortened. A few days of playing with your sleds every once in a while is fun. Also no complaints about fall, the leaves everywhere are pretty and mushrooms are nice. Honestly I think it's just spring that sucks. Get rid of the shitty parts of spring and it'd be fine. (no seeds, no critters spawning, splotchy patches of ice that take forever to melt and leave rivers unusable, etc)
(once and futue king btw)
MrBunzy

Postby azrid » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 pm

great update tbh
azrid

Postby shubla » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:42 pm

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:Could just separate discovery LP from craft discoveries.

I think it would be quite ugly to maintain what is effectively two separate lists of discoveries just to support this relatively small mechanic.

Relatively small mechanic possibly, but getting discoveries after your character dies is maybe worst part of the death, as its hard to remember which ones you are still missing and which not to unlock the crafts. So you should reconsider adding the prayer with or without the separating discovery LP.
I'm not sure that I have a strong argument against sketch colors - Jorb, November 2019
http://i.imgur.com/CRrirds.png?1
Join the moderated unofficial discord for the game! https://discord.gg/2TAbGj2
Purus Pasta, The Best Client
shubla

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:43 pm

MrBunzy wrote:
We are considering disabling seasons. Winter (and spring) remove a fair bit of content -- whole core game loops -- we have no easy fix for that, and it seems to hurt a fair bit more than intended. We're considering reworking seasonality to be a map local thing, rather than a server wide event, but that is a bigger project. Eternal summer? Let us know what you think.

I actually really like winter, especially since it was shortened. A few days of playing with your sleds every once in a while is fun. Also no complaints about fall, the leaves everywhere are pretty and mushrooms are nice. Honestly I think it's just spring that sucks. Get rid of the shitty parts of spring and it'd be fine. (no seeds, no critters spawning, splotchy patches of ice that take forever to melt and leave rivers unusable, etc)

Seconded. Winter is somewhat useful for questing, exploring thingwalls etc., though it could use some more content. But spring is simply painful.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby Tammer » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:44 pm

I like seasons and would be sad to see them go. It's nice to have a longer term rhythm to the game instead of just the same thing eternally. In fall you prepare for winter and make sure you have enough food for the animals. Plus the leaf piles are kind of fun. Then in winter you get a break from farming and have snow and ice to play in, and reindeer and ermine to hunt. Winter is short and fun! In spring you can go to the swamps without midges.

Spring would be better if you let trees regenerate their seeds earlier. Or you could add something else unique to spring... maybe a quality bonus to lambs born in spring? or more types of flowers and change flower bouquets to be like bug collections and give a bonus to using different types of flowers?
Tammer

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:45 pm

shubla wrote:Relatively small mechanic possibly, but getting discoveries after your character dies is maybe worst part of the death, as its hard to remember which ones you are still missing and which not to unlock the crafts. So you should reconsider adding the prayer with or without the separating discovery LP.

Will consider, for sure. It's not like we've decided finally against it or anything, but it was controversial enough for us that we put it off until we had the first set of these kinds of prayers.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby bmjclark » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:47 pm

If seeds on trees regrew instantly or near instantly in the spring it'd be a lot less awful tbh.
Cajoes wrote:I was the murder victim your guy aggro'd. And slew. Entirely unprovoked. Rather handily at that. Which prompted the retaliatory party. That you also handily slew.
bmjclark

Postby loftar » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:47 pm

Asgaroth22 wrote:Seconded. Winter is somewhat useful for questing, exploring thingwalls etc., though it could use some more content. But spring is simply painful.

I'd like to believe you, but the user-number graphs speak rather strongly for the fact that that's not the majority opinion of winters.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby TheUltimateC » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Great options. But if you want to prevent noobs from quitting after they died, you will need to make ancestral prayers less obscure. They need to know the option exists before they dropped the game.
TheUltimateC

Postby DonVelD » Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:51 pm

loftar wrote:
shubla wrote:How about adding Memories of Discovery or something which restores all discoveries of items.

We considered that, but honestly thought that enough people would prefer the extra LP gained from rediscovering everything that it might just be a noob trap.

They could just avoid using that prayer, so both sides would be satisfied in that case.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements