Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby Massa » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:01 pm

thesourceofsadness wrote: meme

can you contribute something of value to the thread
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Southpaw » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:07 pm

Massa wrote:

jaws hat enthusiast, entrepreneur, avid appreciator of the arts
Southpaw

Postby thesourceofsadness » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:31 pm

Massa wrote:

"Of value" for you and "of value" for me are totally different things, but i'm not here to "contribute" at all. All i got is blood for you my opinion. Here it is.

Even if seasons as game mechanics are far from complete, removing it would be a great fallback in development in whole. It's just impossible to work properly on something what is removed - without feedback and such. So the seasons would never come back probably. Sacrificing such core mechanics for MOBA-playstyle just will make things worse.

Sapienti sat.
thesourceofsadness

Postby Massa » Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:45 pm

thesourceofsadness wrote:
Massa wrote:

"Of value" for you and "of value" for me are totally different things, but i'm not here to "contribute" at all. All i got is blood for you my opinion. Here it is.

Even if seasons as game mechanics are far from complete, removing it would be a great fallback in development in whole. It's just impossible to work properly on something what is removed - without feedback and such. So the seasons would never come back probably. Sacrificing such core mechanics for MOBA-playstyle just will make things worse.

Sapienti sat.

Oh to be a pedantic 14 year old midwit again.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Batguano » Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:54 pm

This discussion about disabling seasons became so important that they even published special article on mmozg.net "How to survive the virtual winter":
https://mmozg.net/hah/2021/10/19/kak-pe ... -zimu.html
Batguano

Postby Nightmare » Fri Oct 22, 2021 3:22 pm

jorb wrote:We are considering disabling seasons. Winter (and spring) remove a fair bit of content -- whole core game loops -- we have no easy fix for that, and it seems to hurt a fair bit more than intended. We're considering reworking seasonality to be a map local thing, rather than a server wide event, but that is a bigger project. Eternal summer? Let us know what you think.

Ahhh! It's so sad. In my opinion, the seasons are one of the most remarkable and fun things in the game. Winter breaks the routine, changes everything around you.
I am surprised that there are people who don't like winter
Nightmare

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:38 am

RE: Not removing winter

The patches lately have been really good. The general trend seems to be that the game is getting better.

That said, I think its really helping me identify what it is that's so frustrating about your development style. Whenever you're doing something slowly you will screech "but we're only two people", which is fair enough. However, you guys sometimes seem to completely lack the ability to develop around your own limitations.

If the lifespan of haven is another 10-15 years, and it's gonna take you guys another 5 years to make winter not shit was it really worth it overall? Like, even ignoring the opportunity cost of developing winter instead of tweaking the literally hundreds of small things that would have a hugely positive impact on gameplay that Loftar could do in less time than restarting the server - if it makes everything shit for 1/3rd of the game's remaining lifespan and then when it's finally in a good place barely makes it better was the overall impact good? If 5/6 people sorta like it a little, but it makes the 6th quit cold turkey was it good? I think not.

You guys spent a bunch of time making winter which made the game worse, and now you're going to spend a bunch of time tweaking/developing for it to make it still worse than no winter but less bad than before. Like chopping somebody's leg of then buying them a really expensive prosthetic. It's so frustrating as one of your evangelical autist supporters. It's such a long running trend, too. The same thing is happening with realms, oceans, and credos. It's going to happen with Thingwalls when people start adequately abusing them and you can't find good solutions.

I really hope you guys manage to overcome this hopeful perfectionist tendency that causes you to waste a bunch of time on obviously flawed concepts just because you imagined some hypothetical situations where it would be kinda cool and don't want to give up. It's low key kinda respectable to think that way, but seems horrible for having actual good output.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby WowGain » Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:40 am

Massa wrote:

Sapienti sat.

so youre just mentally handicapped then huh
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby telum12 » Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:42 pm

Massa wrote:

Sapienti sat.

ha ha yes let's bring back every trash feature that's been removed from the game because it might become better if they work on it ha ha yes very smart person here

Sapienti sat indeed.
MagicManICT wrote:To me, being called a pedo is exactly like being called gay.

Jalpha wrote:She must have been in heat bro. She was literally fanging for it. Literally posting repeatedly in chat, in all caps "DO IT! POST YOUR DICK! THERE'S NO WAY IT'S 7 INCHES!"

How could any hot-blooded male deny such a request under the circumstances.
telum12

Postby Reyajh » Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Well, came to say how glad I was to see winter/seasons gone but, looks like that went out the window, despite what their numbers say... Not gonna say it's a game breaker for me but, whenever I come back and try to get back into the game, and it's winter, time to go... When playing and winter comes around..., time to go... Hate to say it but it takes too much away. Areas would be great but server wide, well..., I live in the south. For me, it snows here too yea, about once every 20 years. I like it like that. -Cheers!
Just my .O2... Taste, drink.., like/hate...
Jorb: "Oh, don't you worry. We're gonna take care of the pepper situation!" ¦]
Reyajh

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements