Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Ancestral Ropewalk

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:51 pm

Slow is not the problem.
Adding blatantly broken/unfun/op mechanics that are never going to be developed to the point they're good is the problem. Even if Jorbtar is going to eventually make winter good(spoiler: they're not) there are 100 other mechanics in a similar vein that are objectively bad, and disabling winter to work on one that can't be easily disabled would be a better use of time.

Instead: tree conversations, OCO
At least everybody knows tree conversations isn't going to add anything meaningful, but the disappointment is honestly going to be very funny when people realize OCO isn't required at all for freeform building and it's just that Loftar wanted to make something autistic. Meanwhile realms/winter/the client/archery/vehicle combat/swords/truffles/whales/animal quality nodes/FEP distribution/mining exist in their current state when half of these things could be fixed by 5 minute value changes. Prioritization == very, very, very bad
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby vatas » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:39 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:the disappointment is honestly going to be very funny when people realize OCO isn't required at all for freeform building and it's just that Loftar wanted to make something autistic.

Wanting bridges was a meme for the longest time but once the tech they needed was in the pipe, people started realizing they would block the rivers from ships so could the even be added? However buildings need OCO for multiple floors stacked on top of each other?

The point about prioritization still stands.
The most actively maintained Haven and Hearth Wiki (Not guaranteed to be up-to-date with all w14 changes.)

Basic Claim Safety (And what you’re doing wrong) (I recommend you read it in it's entirety, but TL:;DR: Build a Palisade.)

Combat Guide (Overview, PVE, PVP) (Tells you how to try and escape, and make it less likely to die when caught.)
vatas

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:25 pm

vatas wrote:Wanting bridges was a meme for the longest time but once the tech they needed was in the pipe, people started realizing they would block the rivers from ships so could the even be added?

I mean, they already have the ability to change terrain types. They've done it a bunch of times manually in the past. Plows exist. If they wanted cheap river blocking bridges they could just have it change the terrain type and plop a gob with a bridge res and no hitbox over it, idk what their backend is like but that seems pretty trivial to do to me.

If they wanted boats to not get blocked by bridges the terrain they spawn under the bridge gob could just be passable by boats and players, and do a rly simple simple check to see if somebody is swimming/on foot/boating and only making give them collision with appropriate hitboxes. They already have existing code for this too, EX: players can walk through hearthfires and carts can't.

I don't think it matters, tho. Nobody is going to jizz their pants the first time they step on a bridge.

vatas wrote:buildings need OCO for multiple floors stacked on top of each other?

I mean, could just let people build the outside of their house in any shape they like and continue using the current methodology of spawning rooms inside an instance. If they build some stairs it could create another room in the same instance the same size as the original, effectively making you stand on the roof. Require the room to be walled/sealed off to make more stairs creating a third story. Use the peer/troll eye mechanic centered on house gob in the overworld to generate a skybox around so you can see outside if you want. Wowie, mutli-story freeform building that won't have the 1,000 bugs the way they've described doing it will have.

But does that even matter, TBH? How important are multi-story buildings to the kind of people who will jizz over want freeform buildings? I suspect 90% of the people who play sims would still play sims if they could only have single story houses. Even if multiple floors were a killer feature that couldn't be implemented quickly, I'm willing to bet a slightly worse version of freeform building now rather than in 5 years would be better for the game.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:53 am

jorb wrote:[*] We are considering disabling seasons. Winter (and spring) remove a fair bit of content -- whole core game loops -- we have no easy fix for that, and it seems to hurt a fair bit more than intended. We're considering reworking seasonality to be a map local thing, rather than a server wide event, but that is a bigger project. Eternal summer? Let us know what you think.

5 random nobodies who probably barely play/care wrote:nooooo don't delete winter, it's so sexyy. Just spend all of your time sunk cost fallacying it to the detriment of everything else only for it to remain awful

jorb wrote:So true

the number of people playing the game as soon as winter hits wrote:Image

This is unironically like top 3 funny in a sad way haven moments for me. This same thing keeps happening over, and over, and over again with different systems. There are so many demonstrably bad mechanics that add nothing but take a lot away like winter, oceans, realms, whales, truffles.

You guys talk a big game about your plans to rebalance/make these things good, but you end up leaving them in the game in a broken state for years - and I only say years instead of forever because I've only played for years.

Realms have been broken and gotten progressively worse since, what 2017?
Marksmanship has switched between broken OP to completely worthless(worthless=good, btw) since, what 2015?
Local/global pools broken since ~2018
Truffles have been broken since 2019
Whales have been broken since 2019
The first/second/third winter of every world has made 10-20% of the entire population quit since 2019
Oceans have been completely fucking the multi-player aspect since 2019 (except that brief intermission in 2020-2021 where you made the spawns not bad, but even then oceans were still kinda bad)
haha mining boulders

There are so many things you guys are always planning to go back and fix, but the fixes never come. Trying to strive for ideals, and listening to retards talk about how things might play out in their LARP fantasies while ignoring reality seems like a huge, very consistent problem for you guys. muh """traveling merchants""", muh """realm hierarchy and community"""

If you guys develop at x10 the pace you do RN you will still literally die before you fix these things, and some of them are just conceptually broken/unfixable anyway. I realize this is all very debby downer, but you guys could literally improve the game's quality several times over by just commenting out some code and leaving it be until you've done something to make it fun.

If you guys had a single competitor that was just your game except the bad features turned off there is no doubt in my mind they would run you out of business. Please abandon this perfectionism/idealism and just yeet shit if it doesn't work and you don't know how to fix it.
SnuggleSnail

Previous

Return to Announcements