Game Development: Harvest Skis

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Harvest Skis

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:47 am

Gray wrote:Seasons definitely need to be expanded upon but the mechanic of localized seasons is quite interesting.

It is a bad idea. If by localized you mean static seasonal areas then winter and spring biomes would be empty and autumn/summer biomes would be overcrowded. If you want seasons that roll across the map that you could 'escape' by traveling away from them then you run into the problem of people having multiples bases to avoid seasons completely.

Will farmers migrate temporarily to keep increasing their crops Q?

Yes. It would create a scenario where tryhards farm all year round using 2 bases on opposite sides of the map.

Will hunters follow the winter for big game?

Probably not unless they're on par with whales

Will foragers keep up with autumn for mushrooms?

Most would likely settle in an autumn or summer biome and never leave other than maybe nomad credo
Last edited by jordancoles on Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Check out my pro-tips thread
Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:53 am

DDDsDD999 wrote:
jorb wrote:[*] Pepper now gives "Bum Burn" for each peppered food item eaten rather than 10% of the time.
[*] The base effect of pepper at Q10 increased from a 25% FEP bonus to a 50% bonus.
[*] The "Grind Pepper" recipe now gives, randomly, between 3 and 5 units of pepper, rather than one.

Most pepper goes into cooking food, not putting it on top of food, so the first thing doesn't really do that much to alleviate how much pepper is required. 3-5 times more pepper is still not enough for the consumption to be feasible for a human to make.

Good changes, but grind pepper should give 100x more than what it was before, no one wants to farm pepper, and trellises are still cancer, it's still only going to be botted. I'd still rather pepper AND TRUFFLES get removed. Or nerfed to a 5% bonus, can't cook into food, and made way more spammable.

Also whale still op.

I agree, I'd rather see pepper/truffles removed than to buff them/add to them as mechanics. Check out the avg stats of the players who eat the most truffled/peppered foods vs the average player and you'll see how big of a gap it creates.

Also yeah, whales for everything
Duhhrail wrote:No matter how fast you think you can beat your meat, Jordancoles lies in the shadows and waits to attack his defenseless prey. (tl;dr) Don't afk and jack off. :lol:

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby jordancoles » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:55 am

jorb wrote:
strpk0 wrote:Other than that, nice and interesting update, always good to see tedium removed from the game.

Ty! Do feel free to post any other low-hanging tedium that could be removed (in b4 all the jokes that could be made here). Stuff like that timer on harvesting crops is nothing we're attached to.

You're in luck because it just so happens that there is an entire subforum for things like this that you may not have been aware of viewforum.php?f=48 ¦] :idea:

Here are some of my picks though
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71716#p889012
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71640#p888475
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71584#p887939
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71752#p889293
Last edited by jordancoles on Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Image Image Image
jordancoles

Postby thesourceofsadness » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:07 am

jorb wrote:As you may be able to surmise, we decided, in regards to the question we asked last week, to leave seasons in, at least for now, and take the opportunity to make changes aiming at making them more palatable. We appreciate all input given, sympathize with both sides of the argument, and have nuanced views on the matter. Feel free to opine about spring. Does spring have other problems besides the lack of tree seeds?

Thank you.

There was an idea somewhere to add squirrel stashes with seeds. Sounds like a good solution.
thesourceofsadness

Postby Tammer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:28 am

Thank you! Can't wait to try the skis.
Tammer

Postby Tammer » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:30 am

kirion wrote:Can't test it since all my crops are already harvested, but here's a question :

If i harvest a carrot surrounded by a mix of hemps and carrots, will i only harvest the carrots or both, indiscriminately of the initial plant?

Tested, harvests just the carrots and leaves the other crop types.
Tammer

Postby AriZona » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:42 am

Thank you devs - Fantastic update !
AriZona

Postby Massa » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:52 am

woah this is awesome

like seriously awesome i hope for many more bright days ahead thank you jorbonzola
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby Kirche » Fri Oct 22, 2021 1:57 am

jorb wrote:
strpk0 wrote:Other than that, nice and interesting update, always good to see tedium removed from the game.

Ty! Do feel free to post any other low-hanging tedium that could be removed (in b4 all the jokes that could be made here). Stuff like that timer on harvesting crops is nothing we're attached to.

Add a toggle to remove boulders from spawning when mining, boulders are very annoying when you're trying to make tunnels, they're nice bonuses when mining ore and when doing credos so I wouldn't advocate removing them entirely.

Miners already have to deal with alot of tedium, having to chip/move boulders out of the way every two tiles is an unnecessary addition to that tedium.
Kirche

Postby WESKERBOY » Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:02 am

shubla wrote:Devs are becoming old and soft, doing all these changes.
If you want to remove tedium, you should look at mining, its pretty damn tedious right now. I feel like every time the miner of the village plays for 1-2 months and then burns out and quits.

Mining is hard and should be, is one of the end plays, canhave qol but not get easy
W5 hermit
W6 hermit
Dropout
1/2 w11 hermit other 1/2 citizen of Arkona
WESKERBOY

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements