Game Development: Yesteryear's Patch

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Yesteryear's Patch

Postby algam » Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 am

If you are above your local quality cap, and if you are the server lead in crop quality for that crop type, your crops will instead change quality randomly in the range from -2 to +2 with each generation. The local quality cap effectively only matters for the server lead.

From this theoretically if I have the best crop quality in an area around me it will be much harder for me to grow that crop quality, right?
algam

Postby Wunsz » Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:52 am

i'm so happy the seasons stayed! and the patch was great :) thanks!
Wunsz

Postby algam » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:02 am

The patch was not so great for me :)

Because of this change I started loosing quality for my main crops.
Since around me are only abandoned villages I am the best farmer around.
With "change quality randomly in the range from -2 to +2" because my best seeds did not get equal or better resuls (I planted two separate batches 5 hours apart to have better changes but probably had bad luck) I got a drop in my best quality.
Since my best quality now changed for worse I will need now good luck to go back to what I had.
To improve crop quality I do not see many chances with this system.
To keep the carrots I grow for animals at same quality now I have to also plant multiple areas 5 hours apart. If I have time. If I do not... I will loose quality.
So no more quality growth for animals. To hell with them since I did not had many anyway.
But wait... I used those carrots for mulch (I did not put much resources in my hunter and not much time in hunting) and the hemp (not flax because I got some 100q hemp from a floatsam) for herbalist table.
So no more quality growth for trees. Actually, since best seeds are limited in number only a bit of bad luck and I will loose quality.
But who wants to get to something like 150q trees anyway, right?
Hmm, without good trees quality what happens to my metal quality?
At this point does it really matter for me?

What I mean is that for me as a hermit that is surrounded by abandoned villages my chances to grow suddenly dissappeared.
I will either
- start playing more hours (I wish but you know RL?)
- move to a village that will not kill me instantly. And leave my hard work behind? My brickwall, my lvl 4 mine ? I almost gathered enough tar for a dock :(
- start making bots for everything. Easy-peasy
algam

Postby jorb » Sat Oct 30, 2021 10:22 am

algam wrote:Since around me are only abandoned villages I am the best farmer around.

You misunderstand the change. The effect is server wide, not area bassed and I strongly doubt that you are that. Thus, you merely got a bad luck roll. The genereal effect here should be positive for quality growth.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby algam » Sat Oct 30, 2021 1:09 pm

Thanks jorb. This is really good for me. I can fight bad luck :)
algam

Postby aselpina » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Excellent patch!
Can't describe how happy I am as a person who was playing for long time but specializing especially on farming this year

Thank you Jorb!

I was really getting upset, because unlike other people I know I couldnt get into buying leaves; I always was into friendly communication with community and not into trading, neither spending time on coming up with some business plan. But I was soloing my crops and my animals and enjoying it as a daily routine. And during the winter and when it ended I managed to gather just 1/3 leaves of what was needed to continue quality growth :( which was big RIP
I am happy that everything is back now and I can see quality progress again!

The tree seeds solution also sounds really good so far!

Btw, for the information of other players: after the patch I got all my crops lucky rolled between +1 and +4 (did not have THAT much luck to catch the big 5 :D) so if you imply that mechanic got somehow broken and you got -1, -2 or 0 - unless its a bad roll make sure to check ur farming, you might forget to take on the farm set after the winter (that's what I've done xD).
aselpina

Postby Nightdawg » Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:04 pm

Nightdawg wrote:Did you also remove the crop growth speed nodes?
Last world my turnips were growing at half speed compared to someone else's on another continent (and yes I had beeskeps I'm not retarded).
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:18 pm

I would still strongly advocate the removal of quality/growth speed nodes(or at least GREATLY diminishing their variance), but the current solution seems good enough to me. I feel there are more important things to be annoying about during the limited time Jorbtar is distracted from adding wounds and boulders
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Archiplex » Sat Oct 30, 2021 6:39 pm

here's some low-effort QoL fixes you can do

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70996 <- alchemy qol (and general crafting qol, not needing to swap out tools and such)

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=71147 <- wound qol to avoid knocking out characters for several months because they got downed once

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70859 <- buff straw capes

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70687 <- make cooking gilding easier

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70237 <- arrow qol

these arent really qol but are also low effort changes to make the game less ugly

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70535 <- white metal pretty
viewtopic.php?f=48&t=70566 <- make animals not ugly (maybe look at how Wurm did horses https://www.wurmpedia.com/images/thumb/ ... colors.jpg )
the proliferation of automation is the rot of this game, with the next worst thing being the filth that plays it (you, probably.)

W7 - Hermit
W8 - Co-LS of R'lyeh, Owner of the Hermitarium Knowledge Group
W9 - LS of Niflheim
W11 - Hermitage (named Niflheim)
W12 - Hermit -> some rando ass village i forgot the name of that i joined
W10,13-15 - N/A
Archiplex

Postby mvgulik » Sat Oct 30, 2021 9:21 pm

mvgulik

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements