Game Development: Iced Bait

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:29 pm

DDDsDD999 wrote:
kiddoinc wrote:Image
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby kiddoinc » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:46 pm

lol wow you all convinced me. Please make the change so snuggle can shit whenever he needs.
kiddoinc

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:58 pm

kiddoinc wrote:lol wow you all convinced me. Please make the change so snuggle can shit whenever he needs.

It's ok, he'll crash during the fight due to the 7 months old nVidia bug. Just KO him and make him shut up.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby Jalpha » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Some interesting opinions.

I would like to explain that raiding in Rust is a high risk event. You have to carry highly sought after items which announce their use to everyone in a large vicinity. Counter raiders are a constant threat. A properly built base is an exercise in utter tedium to raid as you drain shotgun traps and Autoturrets. If they are online it gets even more dangerous as you run a strong possibility of getting caught in between defenders and waves of counter raiders.

I have raided people in Rust by bashing their metal doors down with salvage hammers while they were home. Still got countered because the defender announced in chat and counters came. They took my hammers and camped for a bit. Whatever, I just made more hammers.

My point is that it is quite a costly and time consuming process to destroy someones property in Rust. Farming sulphur is not fun (and is high risk). How about cooking charcoal.

Sure, the costs of raiding in Rust are more fun. I would argue though that raiding in Rust is much higher risk and only rarely pays off. Within a timeframe relevant during server life anyway.

Something for comparison although in many ways it is a very different game.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Killshot47 » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:10 pm

I haven't played in forever so I got no stake in this game but when I did play, the fear of death was what made this game fun, especially when it came to player interaction. It's the wilds, you don't know who you can trust, if I didn't know somebody and they were just barely on my screen I ran like hell lol. Coming mostly from Legacy experience it's weird to me that Hafen went towards punishing the Titans, like yeah hearth vaults needed to go and pally bashers sucked but other than that, if you put in that time and effort that's your reward if that's how you like to play. If anything I could see making the death penalty to the one that dies from a big boi titan less severe instead of going the opposite way but that's just my spruce cap opinion.

If you want to speculate on why people don't play, at least from my POV, this was my Hafen experience (W10, before that I played W5 and W7 quite a bit) and idk if I'll come back:
Wound system sucked, I wanted to play legacy (maybe it's better now?)
Food system was somehow worse, satiations were crazy, I wanted to play legacy
The amount to do was better, but the tedium was almost second job level and I don't have that time anymore
Foraging seemed to be more meaningful in Legacy but I could've just sucked
I really liked mining in Legacy, I don't really know why, but that's when snaking didn't get you destroyed. Mining in Hafen is crazy and I can't get into it (it sounds more crazy nowadays but all I can go off of is the patch announcements and feedback)
Leveling land was "wtf why?" levels of pain and my dumbass did it on my main.
Wtf was up with the midge flies, are those still a thing? Crazy annoying
Idk if getting killed while on a boat was a thing in W10 but it wasn't in legacy and I liked my care-bear rivers lol.

I guess I still browse the forums because I did really love this game at one point and I like to come back weekly to read the patch updates and see where the direction goes. Ignore me if you want, idc, but maybe I'll play again if I like where it's going.
Killshot47

Postby spragoon » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:21 pm

strpk0 wrote:
I think the game would benefit heavily from explaining to the players the type of experience they're partaking in, maybe even teach them how to deal with PvP encounters so they don't just sit there and die the second someone that knows how to hold the quick barrage key down shows up on their screen. If people want to larp and make themselves vulnerable, why can't they also learn how to defend themselves or run away incase they need to? There's a LOT of roleplaying in games like DayZ that are entirely PvP focused, and yet people over time learn how to have their fun and still be able to defend themselves.
I think if any time should be spent towards these issues it should be spent on making the game more accessible to everyone, helping the game teach people how to be an actual non-0-threat to others who might want to attack them, and also trimming out all of these botfest mechanics that nobody wants to participate in...

I've been a casual in a small village playing since w10, and FWIW I agree with these bits. I can't really say to the PvP aspect because I don't know the meta or how these mechanics could be abused. This thread has been very insightful, though :)
HexIndustries village member since w10
spragoon

Postby WowGain » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:32 pm

kiddoinc wrote:.

anyone whos take includes moral judgements about someone destroying your fake video game stuff shouldnt be allowed to have opinions on this sort of thing until they graduate grade school finally
W7 Hermit, Honorary Ruskie
W8 Hermit
W10 Hermit
W12 Hermit
W13 Oppidian, Lawspeaker of Duckshead Bay, Straumfjord
W14 Oppidian, Aldermann of Aldorice Reodcomba, Lord of Eirinsk, Duke of Sasheim
WowGain

Postby Massa » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:34 pm

strpk0 wrote:extremely long post at the top of page 15

JORB PAY ATTENTION TO THESE ISSUES. RESOLVING THESE WILL RESOLVE MAJOR LONGEVITY ISSUES AND ATTRACT PEOPLE TO STAY.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby kiddoinc » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:37 pm

What moral argument are you talking about? Jeez man at least support your ideas instead of just attacking Mr. Sad you graduated grade school without critical thinking.
kiddoinc

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:44 pm

Massa wrote:
strpk0 wrote:extremely long post at the top of page 15

JORB PAY ATTENTION TO THESE ISSUES. RESOLVING THESE WILL RESOLVE MAJOR LONGEVITY ISSUES AND ATTRACT PEOPLE TO STAY.

^ this. Most of this is just devolved garbage and shit slinging but Strpk0 actually made a lot of good points
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements