Game Development: Iced Bait

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby strpk0 » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:08 pm

Kaios wrote:WOW stop
Granger wrote:Fuck off, please go grow yourself some decency.

strpk0

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:10 pm

Not sure if you guys have noticed but Haven is a very casual game other than the tedium and obtuseness.

I've sold single items that would be lost on death in DMM for x10-20 what bleh has bought the strongest char in a year old world for. Except when Bleh dies on that char it only loses 20% of its stats. Super hard to die, too.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby Jalpha » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:18 pm

Rust is more successful for other reasons. Primarily the gameplay model taps into the instant gratification and monkey brain endorphin reward system MUCH better than Hafen does. Smashing barrels meets my gambling fix.

Anyway not a huge amount to contribute but as Rust is currently my primary pass time outside of trying to do something meaningful with my life I felt the need to contribute.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Pommfritz » Fri Nov 12, 2021 6:56 pm

I have a few ideas to defend naps and get rid of red handed and outlaw.
delete all siege
enable wallbashing
add upgradable permanent archery towers that deal pretty hefty damage to players.
the tower only attacks people who tresspass on your claim
could upgrade the structure itself or the ammunition.
for example stone arrows would do 100 damage, bone arrows 200 damage, metal arrows 500 damage, the damage can be soaked ofc like a regular hit from a player which also means it would destroy the armor over time.
the towers hold 250 arrows or more
the towers only work if the claim has authority/ maybe drain authority per shot
can't build more than one within x tiles so that they only overlap on small parts of their radius but can still cover the full palisade
towers will only KO you
towers are destructable

also add upgradable hearth fires - nobody except you can access this structure so it's a safezone and you can't access it while in combat
stage 1: you have your hearthfire
stage 2: upgrade to something like a leanto or gardenshed-like structure
stage 3: upgrade to a small house
can go further after that but imo too much space to store your valuables in a safezone is also not great and I'd suggest using quite expensive materials to upgrade like local ressources for the later ones(bat guano etc) and some pretty hard to get normal ressources for the first ones (specific type of board, metal etc)

now naps are defended pretty well and it's way harder to attack the base than to defend it, it would need a very coordinated group effort to get in and out quick

then you could turn off red handed because the act of attacking is already punishment enough and outlaw doesn't make sense anyway so throw that out of the window as well. people who are fighting about a meteor or something can port home fine now.
revert back to the summoning system and make a cheap way to damage offenders hearth structures with scents of battery, vandalism and murder, make it not do too much damage so that people who fight over objectives are not constantly fucked by this but so that if they would do random crime it could impact their abilty to help out at the next fight. (and/or make terrain around objectives special areas in which scents that are left can only be used for tracking.) A scent can only be used once from another player and once from you, if the assault was vs you. Make scents that were assaults versus you/your property do more damage to the offenders hearth structure. send alerts like "your hearth structure is being attacked".

delete mrage
increase time of being repeatedly KO'd. 1st time 1min, 2nd time 30 mins, 3rd time 12 hours
make KO'd players carriable but they can still hearth away.

that being said I have never engaged in group pvp and the examples above have to be propperly mathed out and tested otherwise they can be very boring/ destructive if its too easy to either defend or attack or revenge yourself
Last edited by Pommfritz on Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pommfritz

Postby SnuggleSnail » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:01 pm

Seems needlessly complicated with a very wide scope to achieve very little. Overly complicated systems are already a kinda big problem in haven
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby wonder-ass » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:13 pm

Problem with systems that deal damage to ur character is that youll simply never use a main itll always be a siege/vandal alt.
see homo sexuality trending,. do not do that.
wonder-ass

Postby Jalpha » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:23 am

Maybe it seems weird given my pro-nab stance but I have always supported the return of pali-bashing. Just upgrade to Bwall ffs. Gives nabs a progression motivator.
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby Massa » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:25 am

Nothing like the return of 80 layer brick wall vaults.

I am of the mind that bashing should not be a thing unless the authority of the claim is dead.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby jorb » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:26 am

Less pottymouth personal attacks and such, please and thank you.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby Vigilance » Sat Nov 13, 2021 2:00 pm

jorb wrote:Less pottymouth personal attacks and such, please and thank you.

stinky butthead dork
"Tosak gets the guys undressed faster than their girlfriends can." -NaoWhut
http://i.imgur.com/5cQiL.png http://i.imgur.com/lYyAA.png
Vigilance

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements