Game Development: Iced Bait

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby Massa » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:58 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
loftar wrote:What do you imagine would be a fix? If you disconnect, the character will normally log out as soon as possible.

I haven't been not outlawed since 3 days into the world. I barely even play and that's still the case. Once a week at least I'm frantically discord messaging my friends from my phone 'cause my power went out and my character is in the world next to some asshole's base. I long for the days when I could logout for 10 minutes and take a shit without hearthing back to or my base, or without hearing the player alarm from my bathroom and running to my computer with a dump halfway out my ass. For the love of god revert to legacy summoning/outlaw system and remove redhand.

Red hand and outlaw really, truly are obnoxious and don't actually add anything to the game or interactions in it.

The legacy system was much better in a lot of ways. What DOES forcing someone to KO themselves just to TP back home, or forcing their character in the world actually do?
Last edited by Massa on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
ass blast USA
Massa

Postby xyzzy57 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:58 pm

Phaen wrote:xyzzy57: I dont think it will be a problem when you are planting a single spot, as it only comes into play when you're doing an area

I am curious whether the AOE will land outside the area you selected for planting.

Thanks. I should be trying this pretty soon; it's time for my hearthling to tend its fields.
xyzzy57

Postby aselpina » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 pm

When planting an area, you will now plant using a small area of effect, planting several tiles around you at once. The character will not move to use that optimally, but it's something. Traveling salesman algorithm when?

I will gladly accept it for now, since I was right in the middle of replanting a mf huge field, but in 1 hour when I will replant my little test fields, where I am planting 5-10-15 seeds targeting certain tiles - I'm not so sure I will remain happy with the patch :lol:
aselpina

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:00 pm

Massa wrote:What DOES [...] forcing their character in the world actually do?

It mainly avoids having to have the fairly broken summoning system.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:05 pm

Massa wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:
loftar wrote:What do you imagine would be a fix? If you disconnect, the character will normally log out as soon as possible.

I haven't been not outlawed since 3 days into the world. I barely even play and that's still the case. Once a week at least I'm frantically discord messaging my friends from my phone 'cause my power went out and my character is in the world next to some asshole's base. I long for the days when I could logout for 10 minutes and take a shit without hearthing back to or my base, or without hearing the player alarm from my bathroom and running to my computer with a dump halfway out my ass. For the love of god revert to legacy summoning/outlaw system and remove redhand.

Red hand and outlaw really, truly are obnoxious and don't actually add anything to the game or interactions in it.

The legacy system was much better in a lot of ways. What DOES forcing someone to KO themselves just to TP back home, or forcing their character in the world actually do?

So people are suggesting their criminal acts shouldnt have any sort of drawback or am I missing something?
pawnchito

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:07 pm

loftar wrote:Sounds like a bit of a specialty problem with your particular playstyle in combination with extraordinarily unreliable power/webs. Not really sure how general this problem is.

8 fucking hours loftar. I sleep NEET hours, I was already up later than I wanted to be. You can literally force somebody to be perma red hand by putting a fresh alt in their knarr/snekkja to prevent them from porting home until they kill it once every two weeks. In even vaguely PVP-esque villages EVERYBODY in outlawed ALL of the time. This isn't a me problem it's a the game problem.

viewtopic.php?f=48&t=68515&hilit=summoning&start=30#p890038
here's a thread that covers all of the potential abuses for it, but realistically both the problems and workable solutions seem kinda obvious
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:09 pm

I hate how outlaw and redhand works too, feeling paranoid all the time if I have to do something else etc - I'd love to see a change here.
But still, this solution takes out one of my problems like getting finished off with second KO after a crash, so I appreciate the update.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:12 pm

DonVelD wrote:I hate how outlaw and redhand works too, feeling paranoid all the time if I have to do something else etc - I'd love to see a change here.
But still, this solution takes out one of my problems like getting finished off with second KO after a crash, so I appreciate the update.

So after you kill a pretty little sprucecap and destroy the tiny town he crafted you should get to hearth home and sleep a nice sleep afterward? I dont get it seems like you just want to make it easier to pick on people.

If you are going to do disconnect protection then people are just going to kill their internet if they are close to dying.
pawnchito

Postby Xoatl » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:15 pm

Ardennesss wrote:
SnuggleSnail wrote:

just don't be a criminal lol

There's an idea. The game is a noob killing game for him where the prize is to despawn and destroy all their noob shit for maximum grief. That's ok, he's earned it. But that's not explicitly the mission of the game, to cater to people like SnuggleSnail. His suggestion borders on a noob going on the forums crying that he died and the game should change radically to fit their misconceptions. Only of course on the opposite side of things. You want to poop and grief get used to a little shit on your floors :lol:
Xoatl

Postby DonVelD » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:20 pm

pawnchito wrote:
DonVelD wrote:I hate how outlaw and redhand works too, feeling paranoid all the time if I have to do something else etc - I'd love to see a change here.

So after you kill a pretty little sprucecap and destroy the tiny town he crafted you should get to hearth home and sleep a nice sleep afterward? I dont get it seems like you just want to make it easier to pick on people.

If you are going to do disconnect protection then people are just going to kill their internet if they are close to dying.

But your character still remains in the game if you are in the middle of a fight, no matter if you are outlaw or not, no?

And yes, I think i should be able to port back - outlaw and redhand have wasted alot of my time for no reason.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements