Game Development: Iced Bait

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:57 pm

viewtopic.php?f=40&t=70509&hilit=thingwalls+explained&start=130#p887669
Redhand does nothing except waste time. In years of being one of the most actively scented person in the game I have never, not a single time been tracked while red handed except in cases where I was going to be out anyway. I am 90000000% more likely to die because I randomly DCed in water than somebody tracking me.

There is literally no downside to the legacy style solution if you just fix like 2-3 minor exploits.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby DonVelD » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:57 pm

loftar wrote:
DonVelD wrote:Ah and by the way im taking it back, it seems like it doesn't do that or i'm missing something - my outlawed character stays in place if i shut down the game mid fight and let it get KOd

Ah, yes, the UI was mostly intended as a solution to the common complaint that nubs don't know what's happening and don't realize they can do these things. The actions are tied to the UI, and the UI can only exist when there's a session. It wasn't really intended as crash-proofing, but that is perhaps an extension of it that can be considered. Not immediately sure exactly how that would be defined though, because if I were to lose power in the middle of somewhere far from home, I wouldn't want to automatically get thrown back home again just because of that.

The porting you back after crashing thing is the stuff people want. And true, it would suck to port back after traveling somewhere far - But I still would rather to experience that than getting killed because of the crash though.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby pawnchito » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:59 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:https://www.havenandhearth.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=70509&hilit=thingwalls+explained&start=130#p887669
Redhand does nothing except waste time. In years of being one of the most actively scented person in the game I have never, not a single time been tracked while red handed except in cases where I was going to be out anyway. I am 90000000% more likely to die because I randomly DCed in water than somebody tracking me.

There is literally no downside to the legacy style solution if you just fix like 2-3 minor exploits.

Ok, did the old system require friends cuz a new system that adopted no need for them would be better maybe.
pawnchito

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:00 pm

DonVelD wrote:The porting you back after crashing thing is the stuff people want.

I mean, I don't.

Also, I gotta admit I don't really see why crashing while knocked-out is a problem. When has logging back in ever taken a full minute? Power or Internet outages I can see, but crashing?

SnuggleSnail wrote:There is literally no downside to the legacy style solution if you just fix like 2-3 minor exploits.

Did you even read my post?
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:
DonVelD wrote:The porting you back after crashing thing is the stuff people want.

I mean, I don't.

Also, I gotta admit I don't really see why crashing while knocked-out is a problem. When has logging back in ever taken a full minute? Power or Internet outages I can see, but crashing?

[quote="SnuggleSnail"There is literally no downside to the legacy style solution if you just fix like 2-3 minor exploits.

It's a problem when the default client has for over 6 months chain crashed people until they've stood up 3 times and died??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby LostJustice » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:03 pm

loftar wrote:

I mean, I don't.

Heavily Edited Client -> Crash because Unhandled Exception when KOed -> Log back in -> Crash again because Unhandled Exception -> Die -> Profit that vanilla is better.
LostJustice

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:04 pm

LostJustice wrote:Heavily Edited Client

ayyy lmao you mean vanilla
>90% of the deaths of competent players in this game are to crashes or DCs
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleSnail

Postby LostJustice » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:05 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
LostJustice wrote:Heavily Edited Client

ayyy lmao you mean vanilla

Can be either, just a scenario I thought of. Edited clients seem to be the major perps of it if you look through Moot.
Last edited by LostJustice on Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LostJustice

Postby DonVelD » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:06 pm

loftar wrote:Also, I gotta admit I don't really see why crashing while knocked-out is a problem. When has logging back in ever taken a full minute? Power or Internet outages I can see, but crashing?

Sometimes the client can just freak out and crash multiple times in a row, I experienced that myself twice.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 11:07 pm

DonVelD wrote:Sometimes the client can just freak out and crash multiple times in a row, I experienced that myself twice.

Sure enough, that's worth considering. I'm just saying that I think it would have to be something a bit more considered than "hearth home immediately upon disconnect".
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements