Game Development: Iced Bait

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby jorb » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:40 pm

We've been developing, and here's what's new.

New Implementations
-----------------------
  • Added several "Yesteryear's Fruits": Lemon, Blackberry, Black Currant, Carob Pod, Cherry, Fig, Gooseberry, Medlar, Olive, Raspberry, Red Currant, Seaberry, Sorb Apple, Wood Strawberry.
  • Added "Iced caviar", Food.
  • Added "Cold Cut", (winter available) medicine, food.
  • Added "Woodworm", curiosity, bait. Sometimes found when splitting Mirkwood blocks.

Key Fixes
-----------------------
  • When planting an area, you will now plant using a small area of effect, planting several tiles around you at once. The character will not move to use that optimally, but it's something. Traveling salesman algorithm when?
  • Becoming knocked out now opens a small dialogue, giving you explicit choices on how to respond to the KO, with traveling to Hearth Fire being the pre-selected default. Image

Small Fixes
-----------------------
  • Baked goods can now stay in an oven for around 4 branches worth of additional burn time without turning to ash. Precedents long established being overturned.
  • Roeboat can now take spices as an optional input
  • Hedgehogs should be somewhat less crazy in the "Quill'd" damage they deal.
  • Cut down on "Beautiful Dream"s used in recipes: Grand Haruspex (4 -> 2), Seer's Bowl, Bones, Spindle, Stones, Leaves, and Ouroboros.
  • Sallow trees now have "Tough Bark".
  • Being knocked out while on skis dismounts you, rather than leave you weirdly standing on them.

As always, if you liked what we did here: Support the patch.

Today's Patch Item, for the fair price of $9, is the "Suave Jungle Hat".

Store Description wrote:Image$9 An artifact from a bygone age, when mighty, apex lounge lizards dominated the club scenes.

All Gold & Silver subscribers have been awarded the "Suave Jungle Hat", free of charge.

In the Pipe
-----------------------
  • We have a fairly long list of seasonal improvements we're still looking to implement.
  • We are working on a conversation system for quest givers, which is currently our bigger project (tm). Making progress, but patches may not be weekly.
  • Again urging any custom client maker who wishes to stay relevant to get with the new rendering times. Support for the old resources will be dropped at some point.
  • Our primary development direction is toward object-controlled-objects.
  • Time to... like us on Facebook?
  • Time to... follow us on Twitter?

Enjoy!
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Re: Game Development: Iced Bait

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:43 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Becoming knocked out now opens a small dialogue, giving you explicit choices on how to respond to the KO, with traveling to Hearth Fire being the pre-selected default. Image[/list]

worst possible solution still going to die from DCing in the middle of nowhere and some random asshole stumbling upon you
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ivka » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:44 pm

jorb wrote:[*] Becoming knocked out now opens a small dialogue, giving you explicit choices on how to respond to the KO, with traveling to Hearth Fire being the pre-selected default.

What happens when you get knocked out in the dungeon?
ivka

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:46 pm

ivka wrote:What happens when you get knocked out in the dungeon?

The same rules apply as normally. If travelling/logging out is disallowed, it will be cancelled. Selecting the checkboxes is more or less equivalent to selecting the corresponding actions from where they're otherwise available.

SnuggleSnail wrote:worst possible solution still going to die from DCing in the middle of nowhere and some random asshole stumbling upon you

What do you imagine would be a fix? If you disconnect, the character will normally log out as soon as possible. Also get better internets lul.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby SnuggleSnail » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:51 pm

loftar wrote:What do you imagine would be a fix? If you disconnect, the character will normally log out as soon as possible.

I haven't been not outlawed since 3 days into the world. I barely even play and that's still the case. Once a week at least I'm frantically discord messaging my friends from my phone 'cause my power went out and my character is in the world next to some asshole's base. I long for the days when I could logout for 10 minutes and take a shit without hearthing back to or my base, or without hearing the player alarm from my bathroom and running to my computer with a dump halfway out my ass. For the love of god revert to legacy summoning/outlaw system and remove redhand.
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby xyzzy57 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:53 pm

I don't understand how the planting change will work, and I'nm concerned it'll lead to planting things where I don't want them.

I'm currently experimenting with a large field, where I plant width-one strip of each field crop. (I'm finding this a lot easier to manage than individual fields, in part because I still don't recognize all the crop plants visually, particularly when they are only partly grown.)

I use the shift right click on seed and then drag method. I'm concerned this will no longer do what I want, but doubt this will have changed. (Has it?)

More interesting is the case where I'm planting a single spot, with 10 or more seeds of the same type in inventory, and don't want to plant more than that one spot. (Why would I do that? Lots of reasons, none of them very frequent.) I'm guessing that simply will not work any more, unless all 8 of the surrounding squares are unsuitable for planting (i.e. already planted or not plowed land.) Am I correct?

[Edit - or are you saying that _if_ I select an area, it will simply be faster, as the character will take the same time to plant several spots at once?]

[2nd edit: Jorb's response to my original message raced with the first edit, which may make the thread between us a tad confusing. and to Jorb, I'm very impressed with your responsiveness here.]
Last edited by xyzzy57 on Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
xyzzy57

Postby Ardennesss » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:54 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:
loftar wrote:What do you imagine would be a fix? If you disconnect, the character will normally log out as soon as possible.

I haven't been not outlawed since 3 days into the world. I barely even play and that's still the case. Once a week at least I'm frantically discord messaging my friends from my phone 'cause my power went out and my character is in the world next to some asshole's base. I long for the days when I could logout for 10 minutes and take a shit without hearthing back to or my base, or without hearing the player alarm from my bathroom and running to my computer with a dump halfway out my ass. For the love of god revert to legacy summoning/outlaw system and remove redhand.
just don't be a criminal lol
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Ardennesss

Postby Phaen » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:56 pm

xyzzy57: I dont think it will be a problem when you are planting a single spot, as it only comes into play when you're doing an area

I am curious whether the AOE will land outside the area you selected for planting.
Phaen

Postby Asgaroth22 » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 pm

jorb wrote:
  • When planting an area, you will now plant using a small area of effect, planting several tiles around you at once. The character will not move to use that optimally, but it's something. Traveling salesman algorithm when?

I was just talking to my buddy literally today about this. Nice.
“The story so far:
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.”

Douglas Adams

W3-W13 - mostly hermit, with a few brief periods as a crafter/farmer to various villages
Asgaroth22

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 07, 2021 9:57 pm

xyzzy57 wrote:I don't understand how the planting change will work, and I'nm concerned it'll lead to planting things where I don't want them.

Non-autoplanting still only plants the single tile you click on, and autoplanting will not plant anything outside the selected area.

SnuggleSnail wrote:Once a week at least I'm frantically discord messaging my friends from my phone 'cause my power went out and my character is in the world next to some asshole's base.

Sounds like a bit of a specialty problem with your particular playstyle in combination with extraordinarily unreliable power/webs. Not really sure how general this problem is. If you're having power problems weekly, have you considered getting a UPS?

SnuggleSnail wrote:For the love of god revert to legacy summoning/outlaw system and remove redhand.

That's perhaps a discussion we can have, but certainly has little to do with what we tried to solve with this patch. Meanwhile, Legacy's system had enough problems of its own that I'm sure you realize you'll at least have to suggest solutions to them to make that an interesting option.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Next

Return to Announcements