Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby jorb » Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:55 pm

Nightdawg wrote:It's the same thing you guys always do. You add some change without even asking people for alternatives.

Been taking feedback and actively discussing this for weeks now, here, on discord, and my PMs are always open for that matter. I am ALL EARS for better ideas.

Why don't you guys ever accept some player opinions on things you don't even engage in?

This entire thread, and a good portion of last week's thread, is nothing but player opinions on the matter, and they vary wildly. I know, for I have read the threads in their entirety. I have also read 10+ pms on the matter, and a fairly long discord discussion.

The OP of this very thread, in fact, reflects my ambition to identify consensus views in that variance.

Making a change often, in my experience, gives us a more realistic discussion on the subject than meekly posting about it. The idea of, for example, being able to use scents to spectate perpetrators, is not one I have heard before, and nor would I have heard it, had I not made this change.

You seem to have the view that I am extremely committed to this change, and that it is important to me, that I am wed to it, and that I made it out of pure spite and intransigence, but, in actual fact, it was provoked by what I perceived to be a player opinion with some merit. I think of mostly everything in iterative terms, and am very open to going in some other direction if I hear good arguments for it.

If you -- or anyone -- has a clear(er) vision for how any of these things should work, then I am VERY INTERESTED.

If your only purpose here is to shitpost about me being a dummy, and about how jaded you are with the game, then you can take your caravan of misery elsewhere.

Show some respect, please and thank you.
"The psychological trials of dwellers in the last times will be equal to the physical trials of the martyrs. In order to face these trials we must be living in a different world."

-- Hieromonk Seraphim Rose
jorb

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:02 pm

JORB MAKES A GOOD POINT
JORB MAKES A GOOD POINT
JORB MAKES A GOOD POINT
JORB MAKES A GOOD POINT
JORB MAKES A GOOD POINT
ChildhoodObesity

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:05 pm

Ye, TBH I can see why it being rly annoying reading my and troll's very inconcise stream of conscious autism for like 8 pages. Thanks for that. (I'm right BTW)
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
http://www.seatribe.se/
SnuggleSnail

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:06 pm

SnuggleSnail wrote:Ye, TBH I can see why it being rly annoying reading my and troll's very inconcise stream of conscious autism for like 8 pages. Thanks for that. (I'm right BTW)

You're the kind of guy who would eat a burger with two hands but then lie about being a one hander to seem cool with the one handers.
ChildhoodObesity

Postby SnuggleSnail » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:17 pm

ok noodle arms pls don't shake the entire building down as you uncontrollably splash condiments from your burger everywhere trying to hold it with 1 hand
"We specialize in permadeath and forum drama." -man who removed death and deletes every drama thread
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:36 pm

jorb wrote:Show some respect, please and thank you.

Show some transparency then.
Topics in C&I before making changes could prevent 8 pages of cringing all over the patch notes. I don't know who PM'd you, nobody knows, but in a forum topic we'd actually see who gives what ideas, and we'd be able to debate.

Brainstorming doesn't involve receiving only opinions and no counter-arguments on each opinion. For all I know, you got 10 PM's from one single village asking you to delete red-handed.

Now you see in this very topic people that played in the same village arguing on this change. One of them got KO'd in every single big fight during the first 10 minutes, while the other one was KO'ing us. One of them grinds 5k stats 6 months after every PVPer stopped playing and claims he can 1v4 people even if they had double his stats, while the other guy stopped playing because of the constant client crashes.
- Trollex literally said "this would be a cool change if there was something else to replace the removal of red-hand".
- Bleh suggested some changes to scents, to replace red-handed.
- Snail decided to cringe all over the thread for like 6 pages trying to furiously defend this change, for some reason ignoring all of that "if there was something else to replace the removal of red-hand", for whatever fucking reason, and Trollex retaliated cause he got pissed.

A moderated thread in C&I would prevent all of this crap, and people would feel like they get to have a saying before you make a change you usually don't ever feel like "considering" ever again.

Remember when they used loot scripts to instantly loot everything off a KO'd hearthling? You added a "fix" you asked for in discord once, then the next patch you straight up removed that fix saying "we gotta think a lil more on it, we'll do something soon", and it's been 2 months and I haven't seen you even mention that thing once.

I just don't want this to be the case again, I actually care about your game, of course I'm jaded. Your game is literally 50 times more complex than Valheim, and those devs made like 60 million dollars just this year.

You ask me why I'm pissed at you, this is why:

You only seem to be listening to those kind of guys, the type of people who literally don't give a flying fuck about your game and only want to fulfil some weird fetish of pissing off people who have jobs and can't spend 16 hours in game per day, griefing literally helpless people who don't want to join what they consider a cancerous PVP community, because the only "official" discord server that represents your game is literally being ran by a cringe clusterfuck of retards that would name their realm "cum bucket" or whatever the fuck they wanted to name it. Every single person in that discord that isn't part of their group is being ironic and sarcastic 24/7.
Many fighters complained about red-handed, but as you can clearly see from MightySheep and Trollex (since most other decent fighters seem to have given up caring about your game), they never suggested anything like "just delete red-handed".

And you see all of the smaller groups and hermits asking why you removed it.

Why wouldn't you just make a forum topic to get opinions on red-handed? We'd be able to see who actually gives you those opinions, and see if it's only one village from one faction. You literally only asked once about red-handed in the FACTION-DRIVEN discord.

I'm not calling you dumb, I'm calling you disengaged and uninterested. How do you even expect people to reply to your question in discord, when you ask once and the message falls into the abyss of spam anyway?
A moderated topic would've been a nice way for decent humans from all levels of experience to engage into conversation and debate.
I'm too lazy to write any more so I'll stop. It's your game and you choose who you get influenced by, I only figured that if I'm just as loud as them, you'd take a second opinion too.
if you're reading this, you're a nerd.
Nightdawg

Postby SnuggleSnail » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:26 am

If you're trying to make it an argument from authority thing, then IMO sadbear is better than troll and wants redhand gone. The reason I'm arguing against my own willagers is because my opinion is different. I don't think redhand needs to be replaced with anything, because I don't think it did anything significant. Even in Bleh's case(?) I don't think he suggested that as a replacement, moreso it was on topic and he thought it would be cool. In a completely unrelated way better tracking would be dank, tho.

I kinda agree that taking suggestions in PM is bad, but I get why they do it considering the community TBH. I'm not gonna do the 8 pages of autism with you, tho. Unlike Troll I think you actually just like arguing and it doesn't matter if you're right/wrong.
edit:
btw : p
Last edited by SnuggleSnail on Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
SnuggleSnail

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:28 am

SnuggleSnail wrote:I think you actually just like arguing and it doesn't matter if you're right/wrong.

Pfft shut up nerd
Nightdawg

Postby VDZ » Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:51 am

Pommfritz wrote:you could post your coords here and see how optional steel is ^^

Fully optional. With the stat difference, it doesn't make any difference and I'd be curbstomped whether I was naked or in top tier combat gear. If anything, steel armor would make it take longer for me to be KOed, meaning you'd cause bigger openings and perform more attacks in the fight and thus deal more HHP damage to me; I'd be better off getting KOed without armor.
VDZ

Postby Nightdawg » Thu Nov 18, 2021 1:03 am

VDZ wrote: I'd be better off getting KOed without armor.

um.....
Nightdawg

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements