Game Development: Starboard Bough

Announcements about major changes in Haven & Hearth.

Re: Game Development: Starboard Bough

Postby DonVelD » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:36 pm

Great patch, thank you!
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
JOIN THE OFFICIAL H&H DISCORD TODAY
DonVelD

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:44 pm

murdering nabs has never been so easy. thanks jorb i always hated slaughtering a nab and having to wait for an hour or ko myself this makes it so much easier
ChildhoodObesity

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:47 pm

ChildhoodObesity wrote:murdering nabs has never been so easy

Just to be sure, that's not true, because it was a whole lot easier in Legacy.
"Object-oriented design is the roman numerals of computing." -- Rob Pike
loftar

Postby Jalpha » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:50 pm

Kinda amazed there is so much excitement over a mechanic I consider irrelevant but playstyles differ I guess. Consequences should be the responsibility of the players but idk how to make that pipe dream a reality.
Only other thing I have to say is there was a post last thread about adding hitboxes to the custom client which I think is a horrible idea but it would be nice if when planting trees you saw a ghost of the fully grown tree. And if hitboxes meshed properly with models.

Why the change in stance over https?
Laying flat.
Jalpha
Under curfew

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:54 pm

Jalpha wrote:it would be nice if when planting trees you saw a ghost of the fully grown tree. And if hitboxes meshed properly with models.

You can already have that by right-clicking the plantable tree-pot instead of clicking the ground while holding it.

Jalpha wrote:Why the change in stance over https?

Mostly because the certificate mafia has grown stronger than ever, with the browser makers having joined them. It's hard to stand against them when the browsers insist on making it seem like a plain HTTP site is basically a virus site.
loftar

Postby ChildhoodObesity » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:55 pm

loftar wrote:
ChildhoodObesity wrote:murdering nabs has never been so easy

Just to be sure, that's not true, because it was a whole lot easier in Legacy.

true but no one cares about legacy anymore since hafen is significantly better :)
ChildhoodObesity

Postby mulamishne » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:03 pm

Jalpha wrote:Kinda amazed there is so much excitement over a mechanic I consider irrelevant but playstyles differ I guess. Consequences should be the responsibility of the players but idk how to make that pipe dream a reality.

I actually agree with you and think in a perfect world there should be no outlaw/redhand, letting punishment come solely from other players and not a mechanic that just encourages afking would be amazing.
Haven and Hearth discord (by far the most popular, we even banned the Retards, Pedophiles and dumb Wiki-admins): https://discord.com/invite/rb3Ufnvwxf
mulamishne

Postby talon00302 » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:09 pm

Serious post but thickets need to come back now that render rewrite and the big fps are here.
talon00302

Postby Astarisk » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:24 pm

If we are going to remove consequences (Mind you I'm not supporting an hour time as an appropriate nor adequate one) we should just focus on leveling the playing field for all around. Let's remove perma-death (let's face it, this doesn't effect the top end one bit) and give the newer players a chance to learn the game without giving them the harshest punishment. Furthermore I think the common noob traps need to be looked into. Traps such as claim bonds (How many even know its possible to lose this and lose their claim?), the need for Master keys, the fact that two gate types (visitor and none visitor) exist and let's not forget about walls being able to cascade from non-claimed land to claim land.

Honestly, If the game is gonna reduce consequences for the heavier actions, it should also then balance it back out by alleviating the damage done.
IRC/IGN: Rawrz

Join the Haven & Hearth Discord if you need help and our community will surely help you:
Astarisk

Postby loftar » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:28 pm

Astarisk wrote:Let's remove perma-death (let's face it, this doesn't effect the top end one bit) and give the newer players a chance to learn the game without giving them the harshest punishment.

I think Haven should at least have aspirations to be a survival game, so if anything I'd like to make permadeath more common, and perhaps make the consequences of it more bearable.
loftar

PreviousNext

Return to Announcements